The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnnies got a 57 chevy !!!!!!!!

dude

When I first saw the pictures I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest John, I'm not a huge fan of 50's motors but having looked at a few of those youtube clips I can see where this is going and I am 100% convinced that this thing will blow all others out of the water in every respect. I can't wait to see the finished article. Best of luck with the build.

I'd still prefer if you were building the 454 Chevelle though!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first saw the pictures I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest John, I'm not a huge fan of 50's motors but having looked at a few of those youtube clips I can see where this is going and I am 100% convinced that this thing will blow all others out of the water in every respect. I can't wait to see the finished article. Best of luck with the build.

I'd still prefer if you were building the 454 Chevelle though!!

Thanks dude, had a Chevelle, don't really like em, now a 68 camaro yes but had a few of them too, only ever had a 56, that was big block 396 with a 4 speed, this 57 should be awesome with a close to 10 litre aluminium big block, not decided on the trans yet, I can go 4 spd auto or TH400 3 speed with OD in each gear (or at least 2 and 3rd) which is like a 5or 6 speed auto.

IMG_0009 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0010 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0012 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0013 - Copy.jpg

with a close to 10 litre aluminium big block, not decided on the trans yet, I can go 4 spd auto or TH400 3 speed with OD in each gear (or at least 2 and 3rd) which is like a 5or 6 speed auto.

put that in the supra with a pair of huge turbos,

'you would decimate all' i think thats the saying,

might need a few over night parts too though

Do it!

Or locate the v12 engine from that big luxury jap barge smokey used in his sup :)

Car engines are for girls, go big or go home :eyebrows:

For those who don't know, Merlins have a 27 litre capacity, and a 2 stage Supercharger :cool: Some of them produce 2000hp in standard tune, at around 2000-3000 rpm.

• 2 months later...
I have seen that one before. The plans dude has for his 57 are even more crazy than the one that was on TV last night.

Will you still make it road legal?

I still want to be able to drive it to the Ace cafe etc but its only going to do about 6 mpg so I won't be commuting in it !!!!

Ouch.. Yeah it will be for special occasions.

Have you got the rolling shell back cleaned with the new floor and firewall in?

Im not even thinking about the 57 till the race car is sorted and at the moment its fighting every step of the way, we fitted the spare 3.4 crank into the original 3.4 block and it locked solid when the main caps were torqued down, so another trip to essex with block crank etc and the original crank turns fine in the block but the spare crank is dead straight, diff is the journals on the spare crank are middle tolerance and the original and block are minimum, so I left the block to be re align honed as it was not originally done to the highest standards apparently, this all means that instead of running tomorrow its going to be wednesday which puts us behind on getting mapped etc. when the 57 goes away I wont see it for about 6 months, it comes back with a new floor, bulkhead and 4 link 9" Ford axle to take over 1000hp as well as mini tubs for the 12" back wheels.

The Supra is taking the piss!! Why can't it just be simple, fit the bits and it works. If you try and think of the different tolerances you need to make its nuts at how small it is.

Haven't you had trouble with the clutch too??

You have great dedication with the car!! I know you will get it working perfect!

It will sound amazing though :cool:

You keeping it NA or are you fitting a blower?

NA with a big shot of gas, should make over a 1000hp just on the motor and should run 8's. As an auto its far easier for me to race as there are a lot of classes to enter but they are more 'Bracket Racing' classes so consistacy is the key not outright speed.

The Supra is taking the piss!! Why can't it just be simple, fit the bits and it works. If you try and think of the different tolerances you need to make its nuts at how small it is.

Haven't you had trouble with the clutch too??

You have great dedication with the car!! I know you will get it working perfect!

Clutch now looks sorted, prob due to the idiot who fitted it !!!!! We had the 3 ltr working fine and the car definatly would have run easy 9's if we could of found the gears but I want a car that can run that with no N2O, ive now put the 300hp jets in and the 3.4 will run proper boost so if everything is fine the next JDS round will be fun, we are going to do some road miles in it to make sure that everything is fine this time.

I didn't fit the clutch though!?! :)

Yeah the 3lt you got running over 900hp with very little boost didn't you?

Where will the next JDS round be running? I live about 30 minutes away from Santa Pod.

I know there won't be anything for me to really do but i will try and make it down on a Saturday sometime soon :)

I didn't fit the clutch though!?! :)

Yeah the 3lt you got running over 900hp with very little boost didn't you?

Where will the next JDS round be running? I live about 30 minutes away from Santa Pod.

I know there won't be anything for me to really do but i will try and make it down on a Saturday sometime soon :)

The idiot who fitted the clutch was me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next JDS is Japshow, 18/19th june I think.

The car made over 900 hp @ 5500rpm and over 940 ft lbs as soon as the cams came on song it just shredded the tires on the dyno, it made boost at 3500 rpm and was all over the show in 3rd gear when everything came on song, thats with 150 shot and 1.6 bar so a 300 shot and 2-3 bar will be pretty nippy and very scary.