The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windows update broke my server

hogmaw

I am fooking livid right now, windows automatic update has broken my server now it won't reboot. Which means no website. Which means no sales until fixed. Which has cost me a few thousand quid. Thanks Mr Gates and your shitty Microsoft automatic update system which I will SWITCH OFF when back up and running in about a weeks time.

Thank you for listening.

As you stated I'd highly recommend you switch the auto updates & then manually patch anything relevant to your systems.

Also a daily backups and if possible a template build would be good in case of a failure as such so you can build quickly with less hassle.

Good luck with getting it all up and running. Let us know if you need any advice.

Yeah, I feel your pain, it is all the windows boxes that cause me pain, not my linux servers.....

Not entirely true. An update on our linux based NAS boxes put all our storage in jeopardy for a good few hours until we went into the datacentre and reconfigured the system (resetted to some default IPs after reset and we had no way to log in remotely) ...

That is bad news fella :(

Now awaits Edinlexusv8 to come along with a diatribe of how it isn't Microsoft's fault and that it must be a problem with hardware / other software / weather conditions blah blah

Dude either you have to start talking something technical and show that you actually know the stuff you are talking about or stop personal comments. Every server/farm administrator has some strategy in place for updating servers. Administrators are always awry about updates, I have not come across anybody who just updates their system on the fly as updates come from MS esp when it is a live server and any downtime is unacceptable.

Not entirely true. An update on our linux based NAS boxes put all our storage in jeopardy for a good few hours until we went into the datacentre and reconfigured the system (resetted to some default IPs after reset and we had no way to log in remotely) ...

Then they were misconfigured.... All my servers run perfectly fine, boot up and connect to remotely in fact unless I have a physical failure I don't even need to go near them and I can do everything remotely, even from my phone albeit a little slowly on the typing :)

Which linux based NAS where you using....I run a custom setup one running some very funky software and it has yet to miss a beat.

Our servers are almost all virtualised now and I always snapshot prior to applying updates. (And we only choose certain updates that are relevant to us)

When it comes to sql stuff, (such as the recent SP4) I normally apply the updates to my witness server first and leave it a couple of weeks before applying it to the (physical) principal or mirror servers. This has reminded me that I need to get our servers up to date next week!

I know this isn't helpful with your current situation, but maybe something for the future?

Then they were misconfigured.... All my servers run perfectly fine, boot up and connect to remotely in fact unless I have a physical failure I don't even need to go near them and I can do everything remotely, even from my phone albeit a little slowly on the typing :)

Which linux based NAS where you using....I run a custom setup one running some very funky software and it has yet to miss a beat.

Openfiler - Linux 2.6 Kernel - Runs on rPath linux

Dude either you have to start talking something technical and show that you actually know the stuff you are talking about or stop personal comments.....

I cannot talk about technical stuff (and never do) as it is not my game. I can however point to your incessant myopic support and defence of MS. Now, that's not being personal per se just a very valid observation.

Dude just above I mentioned that we also use Linux based storage products and VMWare virtualization which is also based on Linux. I am not new to the IT world n technical stuff, I do not defend MS in all their software products. Some of them are nothing but useless but there are also lots of them that are very good. Now looking at the way people loath MS on various forums for everything they do I can see myself defending them for some time. MS is a software company and the biggest software company. Yes they dont give away opensource software most of the time but which corporation does it (adobe, sony, apple, intel, oracle ...)? Every body has their Intellectual Property? Unless you are starting from scratch or you are an advertisement company, you can give away software for free. Nobody gives stuff for free. MS does provide all of their software including server software for free to all the universities, schools and research institutions. What you expect them to give away software and all their developed code and Intellectual Property for free to other corporations? Would you do that? Go get a free car if you can. Yes as any corporate company does, they had their infamous past, when it comes to dealing with smaller companies and destroying the competition. But they do have a huge competition at hands and the last 3 years have been totally different in their approach. If you look at all the hardware MS software runs on you will end up with a permutation of over 60,000 hardware components from various manufacturers across the world (though same is the case with open source but you cannot complain if something doesnot work or something is not supported if you get stuff for free in the first place). Same is the reason why Windows Mobile never used to get updates. Same is the case with Google when it comes to android. The hardware and spec on every phone is so different and when you send updates you have a bloody good chance of bricking them.

Competing with Google in search, Cloud, Office Products, mobile OS, browser paltform, tablets, mapping service

Competing with Sony on the gaming Console

Competing with Apple on Desktop OS, mobile OS and Music delivery service, tablets

Competing with Oracle on Office Suite, Databases, Frameworks,business intelligence

Competing with Firefox & oPera on the browser platform

Competing with Salesforce on CRM software

Competing with adobe on content delivery on various platforms

Competing with IBM & Oracle on enterprise content management

Competing with Linux on pretty much everything ...

This list is hardly exhaustive ... not all their products are great but they do offer good competition and alternative.

Just because you use MS software on the desktop you dont get to bash it for everything they do. Infact MS desktop OS is the most easily usable and functional OS at the lowest possible price to OEMs. Most of the world is online and using internet and technology is because of them and their market penetration in all the countries. Touchscreens have only become main stream from the last 4 years and the internet speeds have only been decent for the last 5 years. Still many people in many countries still are using dial up in Kbps. They are not a company that benefits the most by knowing more about you (privacy), browsing habits and your location. Neither they are an advertisement company nor a hardware company. They are just a software company!

I deal with deep diagnostics on Windows platforms at work, problem root cause analysis is what I do for a living. It was very "in" to bash Microsoft about 10 years ago, but now it makes you look like a sad old geek who hasn't kept up with the times. We've got Windows servers here that have sat merrily in Live doing their thang for years. You know what breaks them? Badly written applications (of which we have many :cry: ) Memory leaks, infinite loops, lack of error handling, uncontrolled or badly implemented changes. It's all human ineptitude and curry code that does it. No operating system, no matter how hard you wank over it, is invulnerable to crap code. We have midrange Unix servers to look after as well, and they caused most of the sev1 and 2 outages recently. Because they are running too much stuff for too little memory and the idiots who wrote the apps haven't a clue what they are doing, it was all wildly unoptimised.

Having hundreds of problem investigations under my belt I can categorically state that the major reason for problems is crap code. Then, botched changes. Then, in a distant 3rd place, hardware failures. I've only ever seen one Windows OS problem and that was the DNS service leaking memory (and it should have been patched ages ago by us but it wasn't).

I'd even go so far as to say that I bet it wasn't Windows Update that broke the OPs server, more like an app running on it was written badly and can't now handle the fix. Probably a dodgy driver if it won't shut down :)

What do you folks think about this?? Is it fair? Would this change your attitude towards MS?

Microsoft has been hamstrung for nearly a decade by a US anti-trust ruling which saw their every action supervised by 600 compliance officers in the company, working to ensure Microsoft does not do anything which would risk leveraging their installed base of Windows users to enter other markets.

This has seen many of Microsoft’s more recent products not showing much integration with Microsoft’s main product, and making a very poor case for Windows users for buying other Microsoft products – in the end the intent of the ruling.

Other Microsoft competitors have not had their hands bound in the same way – Apple often boasts of how their 160 million credit card numbers, obtained by their iPod monopoly, guarantees their success when introducing new media products. Google, who has 85% of the worldwide search market, has used their internet dominance to enter several markets, often giving away their product for free, to the detriment of the current players. Garmin for example saw their share price drop from $127 to $31 over the last 4 years, while TomTom saw an even bigger drop from $64 to $4 over the same period.

A good example of a product which almost appears to be from a separate company is Windows Phone 7. The Zune sync software has to be downloaded separately, and does not sync anything more than media and apps, with the iPhone able to sync more, contacts and calendar for example. Compare this with Windows Mobile, developed before the consent decree, which synched directly with Outlook, was able to sync documents and other files, synched music with Windows Media Player and had tools for remote desktop access in both directions, they are clearly two very different products.

Despite Microsoft’s determination to run tablets on full desktop Windows, it is unlikely that these devices will be our main devices, given the constraints on screen size, processing power and flash storage. Microsoft should make desktop (or laptop) integration one of the main features of these devices, whether they run a full desktop OS or not. With the consent decree out of the way, they will be much more free to do so, hopefully for Windows phone 7 also.

With the consent decree expiring, Microsoft will be much more free to pursue integration of their products, but of course the risk of future anti-trust action remains, in Europe and USA, not to mention by now an ingrained culture which eschews such efforts. We will have to see if any dramatic change in how Microsoft does business will come in the second half of 2011, but at least the company will be free to compete on an even field once again, using one of its main assets.

Microsoft’s anti-trust consent decree expires 12th May 2011

I'd even go so far as to say that I bet it wasn't Windows Update that broke the OPs server, more like an app running on it was written badly and can't now handle the fix. Probably a dodgy driver if it won't shut down :)

That's all very well but crap code is crap code and it's here to stay. Unless every programmer now and in the future is 100% perfect at their job, which they aren't and never will be, then there will be crap code. The issue is how to deal with it.

The people who host the server advised me to turn off auto Windows updates. But by default they leave it switched on, so we aren't to know there could be a problem until it happens. Duh!!!