The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's What to pick?

Guest cadmkiv

Guest cadmkiv

Hello,

I'm kind of new to the supra world and done a lot of reading and still need a bit of help.

here is what i have - 93 TT j-spec with under 55,000KM and the car is in mint of mint condition (one owner garage kept with only 30,000km when i got it 2.5 years ago now second owner) I have it in canada sitting in my garage wait for the snow to melt i'm wanting to do some more mods on it while i wait.

here is what i'm looking to do-

as the car is now getting to that almost 20 years mark i want to upgrade and or replace the timing belt. while i'm at it i figured why not upgrade some on the Jspec parts. here is what i'm thinking about and i want to know if there is better parts out there or other things i should get changed while i'm at it.

- 264 intake and exhaust cam shaft (HKS) (was told i can use stock value spring with that lift)

- Cam gears (times 2) (HKS)

- HKS timing belt

- OEM water pump

- possibly a pully kit like this on - http://www.suprastore.com/unraculstree.html

is there better parts or options for these (i would be ordering from the USA) or is there anything else that is recommended to be changed.

All and any help would be GREAT!

thanks,

Andrew

Are you going to be fitting an aftermarket ECU to take advantage of the cams/cam gears? There are much better things to spend money on to get more power than cams/gears/pulley kits. Just go BPU. :)

Is there anything wrong with the water pump? If not I wouldn't bother changing it.

Edited by Thorin (see edit history)

Hello,

I'm kind of new to the supra world and done a lot of reading and still need a bit of help.

here is what i have - 93 TT j-spec with under 55,000KM and the car is in mint of mint condition (one owner garage kept with only 30,000km when i got it 2.5 years ago now second owner) I have it in canada sitting in my garage wait for the snow to melt i'm wanting to do some more mods on it while i wait.

here is what i'm looking to do-

as the car is now getting to that almost 20 years mark i want to upgrade and or replace the timing belt. while i'm at it i figured why not upgrade some on the Jspec parts. here is what i'm thinking about and i want to know if there is better parts out there or other things i should get changed while i'm at it.

- 264 intake and exhaust cam shaft (HKS) (was told i can use stock value spring with that lift)

- Cam gears (times 2) (HKS)

- HKS timing belt

- OEM water pump

- possibly a pully kit like this on - http://www.suprastore.com/unraculstree.html

is there better parts or options for these (i would be ordering from the USA) or is there anything else that is recommended to be changed.

All and any help would be GREAT!

thanks,

Andrew

Whilst those are nice mods to do you won't really get much out of the cams on the stock TT system. Also, you would have to look at fuelling due to the more agressive cams on there. I think they would just be getting into their stride when the Jspecs would be running out of puff though so probably best to go with something a little smaller.

The UK cams are said to offer a little bit of performance gain. Other than that 256 would probably be a better option for you. I'm pretty sure the HKS 256's can be used in a stock head with no valve change etc. The clearance may need adjusting though, I think that involves the shims but I've not delved into that part of the engine yet.

Camgears are a nice addition, as is the pulley kit. Again I don't think you will see much of a performance gain but the parts would look nice. HKS timing belt is again down to preference, I would just go with stock but if fitting those pulleys it would all come in well together.

In addition to the mods you have listed, if you want to get the best out of them, I would also add in an ECU of some sort. It can be very costly so it would be fairly large investment but if you wanted to squeeze every last bit of performance out of your car, and have it running as well as it can be, then this would be the best way of doing it. Multitude of options in this department.

HTH

Guest cadmkiv

Currently-

tuned ECU -HKS vpro, 1.1 boost, single cat, HKS super dragger cat back, hks blow off valve, upgrade fuel pump, (stock jspec injectors though), upgraded lightweight fly wheel and rps clutch. upgraded radiator/ electric fan , 4 inch FMIC, intake.

i do have the problem of stock fuel and turbos but the plan is upgrade/ get peice of mind on the parts i have and then next year is fuel and turbos ($$$) i have been doing things slowly i just figure this is my best next step.

water pump seems fine but i figure when i have it all off may as well change it and not worry that in one year its got to be changed and starting all over.

Edited by cadmkiv (see edit history)

If you have someone who can remap the vpro then cam's might get you some nice improvements. However most people fit cam gears only to leave them at the stock settings, they look nice though... if you cut a hole out of the cover so that you can actually see them anyway.

Why not just save up and go single turbo?

The HKS 264's have cam timing info sheet so can be degreed in which means you would need to have the vernier pulleys, you can still use stock springs etc and if you have a higher rev limit these will pull thru better, I had 264's in my silver car when I first had it and was running 1.4 bar on stock turbos, it was a missile but the turbos eventually let go, the cams are still non interferance so i would not waste my money on the HKS belt, just go stock or gates.

Guest cadmkiv

Thanks for info so far.

I'm not even thinking i would get that big of a HP gain for the pulley/ cams maybe 15-20 overall with what I have max if i get more then that i would be very happy. I want to go single over next winter possibly wait 2 years (i'm in talks with a tunning shop getting parts list started. fuel, headers, single so on). but while I wait I figure I should upgrade these so when i drop in the turbo i have instant gains over JDM cams. It's more of a long run view then a quick big bang for the buck. also yes i have someone that should be able to tune them to get the most out of them for now.

i have also heard some of the US guys talking about the BC that they have great street ability for good cost (264)

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/2jzgte.shtml

If you are choosing your cams based on future proofing for a single turbo then you will first need to think about how much power you are looking for. This will determin the duration of the cams to go for. Up to 600 I think the recommended size is 256/256 or 256/264, above 600 will be 264/264, getting into 900+ you may want them to be more agressive.

Guest cadmkiv

is there somewhere on here (have not been able to find it yet) that someone has set out a list of things to mod/ and in what order like recommended list of what to do when. like i.e.

1. cat back exhaust

2. intake

and so on?

thanks!

Guest cadmkiv

my thoughts are turbo kit so far along the lines of-

tubular headers,Precision T67 Billet (ball bearing) .81 a/r , dual pump with 1000CC fuel system 3inch straight pipes.

(ball park)

Edited by cadmkiv (see edit history)

Guest cadmkiv

I guess another question to ask would be if i was to do just the timing belt change what would be common to do with it-

tensers, what belt/s, pulleys, water pump, what is the most common?