The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why don't we use E85 Ethanol fuel in the UK?

marc_p

Cheaper, higher octane, less emmissions, it's a perfect time to give us brits some cheaper fuel that is better for the environment. It's used a lot in the US but not over here.

So why don't we have it here? Not as much TAX potential? Too costly to transport or implement? Why?

We could have bigger BHP and cheaper to run Supra's with E85.

I suppose it's another thing to add to the list on why I want to leave this oh so frustrating country.

I think the reason is the millions it would cost to create the nationwide infrastructure that would make it viable. New pumps, new storage at petrol stations, new lorries, new refineries (modifying existing ones) and getting it here in the first place !! In the current climate it is not really a sensible way to be spending public money tbh.

If you want to use it and live in the south west your ok! :(

Crowborough is closest for me! :(

It's not really an issue of different lorries as the tankers have multiple compartments in each one capable of storing the fuel! However they would need another storage tank at each station and if they don't think they have the Market for it to recuperate the costs why would they bother??

We do have it but not at many stations, its great stuff, yanks are making more power on E85 than they can on full on race fuel.

Interesting. Most information on E85 leads to there being a net power loss along with a reduced mpg figure. Obviously, like the Koenigsegg car, the high power cars will have been designed to run it without the adverse side effects. For normal cars though the only gain is 'cheaper' pricing and the smug green credentials.

The 'cheapness' doesn't facto in the costs of producing it in the first place. There is massive cost there along with a a huge power requirement (which could conceivably negate any environmental savings). Also, according to a report I read, the US (for example) does not have enough land available for producing E85 from crops with which to fuel vehicles.

Interesting. Most information on E85 leads to there being a net power loss along with a reduced mpg figure. Obviously, like the Koenigsegg car, the high power cars will have been designed to run it without the adverse side effects. For normal cars though the only gain is 'cheaper' pricing and the smug green credentials.

The 'cheapness' doesn't facto in the costs of producing it in the first place. There is massive cost there along with a a huge power requirement (which could conceivably negate any environmental savings). Also, according to a report I read, the US (for example) does not have enough land available for producing E85 from crops with which to fuel vehicles.

It would be good to see the overall outlay of cost to produce say a litre of E85 and say super unleaded and the Carbon footprint of producing each as well!

Also, according to a report I read, the US (for example) does not have enough land available for producing E85 from crops with which to fuel vehicles.

That is suprising. Are there some special conditions for which the crops are needed to grow in because in places like Texas there's areas the size of cities available?

It would be good to see the overall outlay of cost to produce say a litre of E85 and say super unleaded and the Carbon footprint of producing each as well!

From memory I think it require something like 30% more energy to produce ethanol than you'd get out of it. Like oil from the Tar Sands. I takes two barrels of oil to produce one barrel of oil.

That is suprising. Are there some special conditions for which the crops are needed to grow in because in places like Texas there's areas the size of cities available?

The general gist is that you couldn't grow enough to power all the vehicles in the US and still be able to feed an ever-growing population.

Interesting. Most information on E85 leads to there being a net power loss along with a reduced mpg figure.

E85 does offer substantial BHP and Torque gains, the below thread is a good read, for instance a Scooby STI went from 350BHP to 390BHP, just by switching to E85 (and that was only mapped for a 10% mix with V-Power)

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/723701-why-arent-you-using-e85-bioethanol.html

The biggest problem is that E85 is supposed to be cheaper to run on, but as it does less MPG and is only 2p cheaper than unleaded, it works out more, this is mainly down to Gordon 'f**kface' Brown scrapping the Duty reduction on clean fuels(which would put it at about 25p a litre less than petrol) and instead, bumping the duty up on it (Labour really did do one over on us didn't they :( ).

So will a tt run on it?

Not standard no, I have been doing some research and it appears you can either have it mapped so you run on a mix of E85 and V-power(or just V-power if you can't find E85) or you just map it for just E85(but this would mean you can only run on E85). The best option would be a switchable map TBH.

You need a fuel pump and lines capable of running alcohol based fuels, or it will rot through your pump/fuel lines. You also need flex-fuel sensors as the mix varies, and larger injectors since you need more E85 than regular unleaded.

Cheers for that :)

Does anyone know what the best way to run a switchable map would be? (i.e. which ECU's/Piggybacks allow this?)

no more wool clothing/leather then ? so we import cotton or we will all wear straw hats and flip flops ?

That's the point of being a Vegan, Jagman - no more animal products, this includes leather and wool. Hats aren't essential and flips flops optional in the harmonic Vegan / Ethanol world of the future. Only thing that is mandatory is being nice to the animals. disobey and you will be turned into fuel yourself (+ soap perhaps?)

The biggest problem is that E85 is supposed to be cheaper to run on, but as it does less MPG and is only 2p cheaper than unleaded, it works out more, this is mainly down to Gordon 'f**kface' Brown scrapping the Duty reduction on clean fuels(which would put it at about 25p a litre less than petrol) and instead, bumping the duty up on it (Labour really did do one over on us didn't they ).

No its down to a different set of Morons; the common agricultural policy (CAP ) morons , these guys spend nearly half of the total EU budget , and yet the EU imports tons and tons from poor countries around the world , while at the same time create butter mountains,milk lakes ,etc and pay farmers NOT to grow things , Food prices were low so with the green bunch wanting, grown fuel , sugar beet is planted everywhere , it all grows nicely just in time for a massive increase in food prices -doh!! QUICK ,QUICK1 get the spuds in ! get that beet out !

All this while the return on energy is negative - you vote and pay for these people , perhaps they should of been moved into banking , no wait..

That's the point of being a Vegan, Jagman - no more animal products, this includes leather and wool. Hats aren't essential and flips flops optional in the harmonic Vegan / Ethanol world of the future. Only thing that is mandatory is being nice to the animals. disobey and you will be turned into fuel yourself (+ soap perhaps?)

Straw recaro seats in your car then dude!! with matching rattan carpet