The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My long list of hateful driving habits

hogmaw

Maybe thats because flashing your headlights is a warning, not a "I give way" sign. If someone was repeatedly flashing at me, I would not pull out in front of them,

I wouldn't call it a warning, it's more a way of getting another drivers attention.

Flashing the headlights is used a lot up this way to let people out, allow people the right of way etc. I was taught it during my driving lessons and I was taught that it should always be treated with caution. Your interpretation may be different from the other persons for example. More often than not a flashing of the lights gets the attention of another driver, usually followed by a gesture of the hand to let them know of your intention, or what you want them to do.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traffic coming from my right has also just exited a roundabout. The ones that are indicating correctly off the roundabout look like they are going to turn left into my road, so technically I could pull out in front of them.

Hate to pick you up on that one, Digsy, but if you see a car's indicator flashing, all it proves it that his indicator works. If you pull out in front of him, you'll be at fault for not giving him right of way.

Sorry, thats me - and you did indeed miss it, try chatting less on your phone :D

I do lots of motorway miles and as Scott said, I find myself undertaking people. there will be NOTHING in lane one for miles at like 4 or 5am.

I will just sit in lane one and slowly just pass them doing 70mph whilst they are doing 65 in lane two.

Then suddenly, Im the bastard! They look at me with rage and shout and swear at me. Very odd.

Iirc (i would have to look it up) undertaking like that isn't technically undertaking. It's pulling over correctly and maintaining speed. If it happens you undertake someone it's not illegal. As long as you stay in that lane like normal and don't pull over like a pleb immediately.

Iirc (i would have to look it up) undertaking like that isn't technically undertaking. It's pulling over correctly and maintaining speed. If it happens you undertake someone it's not illegal. As long as you stay in that lane like normal and don't pull over like a pleb immediately.

In my defence I consider undertaking on the motorway when you pass on the left, and then indicate right and move infront of it.

What I am doing is just driving in a straight line, following the road ahead - if i was to 10 miles down the road want to move into the middle lane technically I would have to wait for the car I previously passed on the inside to catch up and overtake me first.

..but im sure the law will say different :D

I wouldn't call it a warning, it's more a way of getting another drivers attention.

Flashing the headlights is used a lot up this way to let people out, allow people the right of way etc. I was taught it during my driving lessons and I was taught that it should always be treated with caution. Your interpretation may be different from the other persons for example. More often than not a flashing of the lights gets the attention of another driver, usually followed by a gesture of the hand to let them know of your intention, or what you want them to do.

That's quite surprising that you were actually taught it by an instructor. I'm aware that a majority of people use it to give way, but the highway code says otherwise.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Either we should all adopt the above, or the highway code should be changed to reflect the majority use.

That's quite surprising that you were actually taught it by an instructor. I'm aware that a majority of people use it to give way, but the highway code says otherwise.

Either we should all adopt the above, or the highway code should be changed to reflect the majority use.

I've always used a flash (single or double) to let people out of side roads, let people turn into side roads, let someone pass or to say thank you. Every time I see someone flash their lights it's done for one of those four reasons.

As you get older you will stop worrying about things like that and focus more on "HOW far is the next toilet?". "Did I turn the cooker off?" "Am I going down this one way street the wrong way?", or "I need to read the instructions for this SatNav, I have asked three people for directions and two of the buggers don't speak English, and I can't hear the other one?" :)

No.110 is what I was referring to when I said that flashing lights gets the attention of the driver. What you do with that attention is up to you (gesture etc)

No.111 is what I was referring to with what I was taught.

My quote clearly states that I was taught a light flash should always be treated with caution = use own judgement and proceed carefully?

I wasn't saying that up here a flashing of the lights means "on you go", just that flashing the lights is used daily to get peoples attention in order to relay a message of intent.

No.110 is what I was referring to when I said that flashing lights gets the attention of the driver. What you do with that attention is up to you (gesture etc)

No.111 is what I was referring to with what I was taught.

My quote clearly states that I was taught a light flash should always be treated with caution = use own judgement and proceed carefully?

I wasn't saying that up here a flashing of the lights means "on you go", just that flashing the lights is used daily to get peoples attention in order to relay a message of intent.

The "bird" for example.

This thread reminded me of the old shape Audi Coupe that was up my chuff on the M60 this afternoon. I was doing 80 but that still wasn't fast enough. There were no real gaps in the middle lane so I carried on in the outside lane. The guy was gesturing for me to pull over into the middle lane but I couldn't without breaking hard. The second that I got past the last car in the middle lane the prick undertook me as I indicated to pull in. He then continued weaving in and out of the third lane as some kind of demonstration of how to drive on the motorway ie his rules.

I finally lost my rag and went after him only for him to pull off at the next exit without indicating. :rolleyes: What a fooking dick..!! The red mist had decended by this point and it's a good job we were separated as I would have got out of the car and given him a peice of my foot, repeatedly.

I do at least 100 miles a day on the road and never have any issues on the motorway.

H.

Oh how we all hate other drivers...

I was behind a woman today coming up from a single lane into a 2 lane junction, left lane for left and straight on, right lane for turn right. Lights green as we approach, she wanders over to the left lane but never quite makes it so sits in the middle of both, not indicating at all. So, thinking she must have started moving over to the left for a reason, I start to overtake her on the right for my right turn and then get and indication right from her and she just drifts back into the right lane to turn. I sat on the horn for a sec (something I very rarely do) and complete the right turn only to be greeted by her throwing her hands up at me like I've done something wrong..... :blink:

To top it off, she then pulls over and stops on double yellows without indicating..... :rolleyes:

Maybe thats because flashing your headlights is a warning, not a "I give way" sign. If someone was repeatedly flashing at me, I would not pull out in front of them,

Not even when you have stopped your car dead, waiting for them to move out? flashing your lights in this situation is a warning to say move! before the people in the cars behind you ram you up your rear end.

I have always found it amazing how when in a car people become enraged by (relatively speaking) the most minor of transgressions.

Picture the scene: You are walking down an aisle in a shop and someone bends down to pick up an item, then as they stand up and move on they nearly walk in to you. you might say "Oh sorry mate." or "excuse me." and you walk on.

In a car: someone performs a manoeuvre you were not expecting as they didn't indicate. Then you sound the horn at them and gesticulate to convey the rage you are feeling followed by them doing much the same and if conditions are right a physical fight ensues.

I am by no means saying any anger is not justified when a road user behaves inappropriately, only that people just seem to get ten times madder when a car is involved.

I have always found it amazing how when in a car people become enraged by (relatively speaking) the most minor of transgressions.

Picture the scene: You are walking down an aisle in a shop and someone bends down to pick up an item, then as they stand up and move on they nearly walk in to you. you might say "Oh sorry mate." or "excuse me." and you walk on.

In a car: someone performs a manoeuvre you were not expecting as they didn't indicate. Then you sound the horn at them and gesticulate to convey the rage you are feeling followed by them doing much the same and if conditions are right a physical fight ensues.

I am by no means saying any anger is not justified when a road user behaves inappropriately, only that people just seem to get ten times madder when a car is involved.

Worst that can happen in a supermarket is that you bump into someone, no harm no foul.

In a car in the scenario you describe people can be injured, veering to avoid could lead to a pedestrian being hit, even in a minor bump 1000s of £s worth of damage can be caused leading to hassle with insurance claims etc, not to mention the fact that you will now effectively own a damaged vehicle (something I am never confident or happy with). Re-sale value decreases, insurance premiums rise, potential no-claims bonus lost depending on outcome etc etc etc.

By the way I am in no way justifying it, just thinking out loud reasons why people would get upset over near misses.

Oh and people who follow too close are my pet hate.

I can forgive most other things, if someone is going slow or brakes for every minor thing they are just scared or not confident in a car, at worst they just waste a bit of your time. I can even forgive middle lane hoggers and they can be used for fun by simply overtaking them as normal, then pulling in front and then into the left lane before slowing down and repeating. I have managed to do this 5 times in a row before they got the idea.

Worst that can happen in a supermarket is that you bump into someone, no harm no foul.

In a car in the scenario you describe people can be injured, veering to avoid could lead to a pedestrian being hit, even in a minor bump 1000s of £s worth of damage can be caused leading to hassle with insurance claims etc, not to mention the fact that you will now effectively own a damaged vehicle (something I am never confident or happy with). Re-sale value decreases, insurance premiums rise, potential no-claims bonus lost depending on outcome etc etc etc.

I know what you are saying but if someone doesn't look where they walk could they not knock someone over and cause an injury? Yes the stakes are higher in cars and the result of a collision is often far far worse but people make mistakes. The only thing we can do is anticipate that people will do stupid things and take mitigating action.

Accidentally walking into someone in a shop wouldn't hurt as much or cost as much as it would in a car.

traveling at 50mph in your car that costs many thousands of pounds and someone does something that could cause you to crash. Some people just don't care about their own cars and drive like idiots.

Or they are just retards who only just managed to pass their test on the 7th go. They shouldn't be allowed on the road. Or public.

I know what you are saying but if someone doesn't look where they walk could they not knock someone over and cause an injury? Yes the stakes are higher in cars and the result of a collision is often far far worse but people make mistakes. The only thing we can do is anticipate that people will do stupid things and take mitigating action.

Are you married? Ever walked with your wife with high heels on? When I am out with my wife and she has heels on she seems to turn into a demon (ok I'm exagerating but you get the idea) when I try to walk at the normal pace that we do, cracking up as she is on heels and could break an ankle.

Similar to being in a car. When the stakes are raised, behaviour and attitude changes... and that is just with a pair of heels.

I can even forgive middle lane hoggers and they can be used for fun by simply overtaking them as normal, then pulling in front and then into the left lane before slowing down and repeating. I have managed to do this 5 times in a row before they got the idea.

lol Thats a great idea. Might have to try that myself :)