The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Landrover Discovery 3?

JamieP

I can well believe, i think you guys understand im looking for a workhorse though, i will be on and off building sites daily, chucking various materials and tools in and out of it, and at the weekends i need something to double up as a big family car, me and the wife, two kids and a dog all in it.

Volvo xc90 or x5 is not my thing at all, so far the disco is just what im looking for i think, the only other big 4x4 i dont mind the look of is the landcruiser.

I like the look of the Landcruiser, and it's bound to be reliable. Probably a bit boring compared to the Disco though, and the interior won't be quite as nice IMO. The Disco sounds exactly what you want by the sounds of it. I would say Defender, but I can't see one of them being a great familt car :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get a RR Sport with some 22's and be done with it:d

On a more serious note though, I thought you really liked you Navara, would you not be tempted with one of them?

I have a freind who does a lot of work on Defenders and Discovery's (the farmers round this way love them) So I'll ask him if there are any common faults that you should be on the lookout for.

Jamie

Just spoke to a few tec's in the workshop, They have all said there good cars, Common things that parts do for them are manly Tie rods, Lower ball joints and sometimes lower arms

They have done the odd Air Sups compresser too.

2 of the Tec's have said the manuals are not that nice to drive, they prefer auto's

Apart from that mate all good...

Hope that helps mate

Jamie

Just spoke to a few tec's in the workshop, They have all said there good cars, Common things that parts do for them are manly Tie rods, Lower ball joints and sometimes lower arms

2 of the Tec's have said the manuals are not that nice to drive, they prefer auto's

Hope that helps mate

This is what you will have to mainly watch out for, not cheap for replacements, last thing you need going when using it as a workhorse and family car, though they are generally good if looked after.

Jamie

Hope that helps mate

Cheers for that, Discovery is still what im most interested in.

No point in mentioning cars like X5 and range rover sports guys, no chance i would drive either.

Jamie

That is to be expected with many heavy cars (IIRC the Disco weighs almost 3 tonnes!) If they're the only issues, then it sounds like a dependable car IMO.

I'd drive a Landcruiser Amazon before deciding what to go for Jamie.

We have a 2001 commercial model here, which carried on until 06 or 07 as far as I know.

I'd be happy to drive it around the world, a lovely 4.2 TD with plenty of poke mated to an auto box. Smooth as silk and everything else still works too.

Not exactly a miser on diesel though 22-24mpg combined.

I drove a '08 Hilux recently (thinking they'd be the last word in refinement), every single item under the bonnet had a "Made in Thailand" sticker on it, including the VIN plate. Plus I'm 6'4" and I found it cramped and totally lacking any support in the driver's seat.

Go for the disco, the guy I work for has a couple of them (tdv6's and both auto) and I take any chance I get to drive them :D, great to drive, pull well, feel good quality throughout, tons of practicality and I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could afford one :)