The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Landrover Discovery 3?

JamieP

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had an 02 model, we got shot of it pretty quick, terrible to drive (gearing) and the cornering was awful. No idea on the newer ones tho, they look nice. We got a 55 plate sorento instead, love it, drives like a car, loads of room, class leading towing and handles our horse trailer and field work ok.

I think they look the nuts dude, saw one that was very off roady the other day, looked really mean.

Yeah i like that look, i will be using it for work if i get one and want one of them huge roof racks on it.

http://www.prospeed-elite.co.uk/category/ProSpeed-Off-Road-news.aspx

We had an 02 model, we got shot of it pretty quick, terrible to drive (gearing) and the cornering was awful. No idea on the newer ones tho, they look nice. We got a 55 plate sorento instead, love it, drives like a car, loads of room, class leading towing and handles our horse trailer and field work ok.

02 plate is a different model no? whats a sorrento?

02 plate is a different model no? whats a sorrento?

You're right, though they'd have to change a lot for me to have one. Saying that the newer model does look a lot more refined. Mine was the facelift 2 series. Best thing to do is have a good test drive, ours was very harsh in low gears and just not nice to drive. Sorento - kia. Oh -another reason we got the sorento was the rear door - glass pops up which is really useful for transporting wood and saves us using the trailers.

My dad bought a black 2.7TDV6 disco 3 HSE in 05 shiny new from our local land rover dealer hes used it to tow a large twin axle caravan and various boats single and twin axled trailers he has used the car as a daily driver from day one and has clocked up 174k miles so far the only things the car has wanted for are tyres and an alternater.

Given regular maitenence at service intervals the car really has been worth the money he paid it rarely goes off road and achieves a steady 31mpg according to its trip computer so not bad on fuel either

My dad bought a black 2.7TDV6 disco 3 HSE in 05 shiny new from our local land rover dealer hes used it to tow a large twin axle caravan and various boats single and twin axled trailers he has used the car as a daily driver from day one and has clocked up 174k miles so far the only things the car has wanted for are tyres and an alternater.

Given regular maitenence at service intervals the car really has been worth the money he paid it rarely goes off road and achieves a steady 31mpg according to its trip computer so not bad on fuel either

Thats good to hear, thanks.

No offence to anyone with a KIA, Im sure they are a good car but there is no way i would drive one of them.

I used to be the same as you:d, but I'm really warming to them now, they have got Audi's old designer aswell (the guy who designed the TT and the R8)

I think it'll be the whole Skoda thing all over again :)

Thinking about buying a few year old one, 2.7TD.

Good car? Anyone got one or know of anything to watch out for with them?

Ta:)

Jamie, not sure of what a 2.7TD is like on a Disco but it's a right dog on the older Range Rover models or even the sport version - it just doesn't have any oomph due to the weight of the cars.

Jamie, not sure of what a 2.7TD is like on a Disco but it's a right dog on the older Range Rover models or even the sport version - it just doesn't have any oomph due to the weight of the cars.

I will see what its like tomorrow, i dont need anything quick, got other cars for that, just want something thats big and a nice drive, i like the look of them very much.

I test drove a brand new one in 2006, and then another last year, both times as my mum was deciding which 4x4 to go for.

On the road, The X5 and XC90 I drove were noticeable better than the disco. I suspect the Disco will be much better off road, and probably for towing, though the XC90 is good, and I imagine the X5 would be pretty good too. The landrovers engine felt torquey, but the drive wasn't as refined as the Volvo or BM.

In the end, on both occasions I found the XC90 to be a better all rounder. The interior is better designed than the Disco (7 seats that convert to 5 very quickly), and it drives like a car. All of the models I have tested have been diesels too. What made my mum go for it is the service in the Volvo dealership was the best of the lot by far.

The trade in value of her old XC90 was particularly impressive too, not sure what the competition are like (though with any 4x4, diesels are the best for this)

I will have a word at work tomorrow as were a jaguar/landrover dealer, I'm on the jag side though, I know the RR sports are a pile of crap though lol

I have never seen a model to do so much warrantee work!!

That would be great, I won't buy anything till I see what you post.

I test drove a brand new one in 2006, and then another last year, both times as my mum was deciding which 4x4 to go for.

On the road, The X5 and XC90 I drove were noticeable better than the disco. I suspect the Disco will be much better off road, and probably for towing, though the XC90 is good, and I imagine the X5 would be pretty good too. The landrovers engine felt torquey, but the drive wasn't as refined as the Volvo or BM.

In the end, on both occasions I found the XC90 to be a better all rounder. The interior is better designed than the Disco (7 seats that convert to 5 very quickly), and it drives like a car. All of the models I have tested have been diesels too. What made my mum go for it is the service in the Volvo dealership was the best of the lot by far.

The trade in value of her old XC90 was particularly impressive too, not sure what the competition are like (though with any 4x4, diesels are the best for this)

I can well believe, i think you guys understand im looking for a workhorse though, i will be on and off building sites daily, chucking various materials and tools in and out of it, and at the weekends i need something to double up as a big family car, me and the wife, two kids and a dog all in it.

Volvo xc90 or x5 is not my thing at all, so far the disco is just what im looking for i think, the only other big 4x4 i dont mind the look of is the landcruiser.