The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The price of tyres

Ricky49

Last night I had a blow out on the wifes new Qashqai and had to fit the space saver.

This morning I went to find somewhere that was open to get a new tyre fitted (in the preston area) and the only place I found open was Kwik fit.

The required tyre is a Continental 215/55/18 and they wanted £237 balanced and fitted:blink: :( as the hole was about 12mm so it couldnt be plugged.

Holy mother I wasnt expecting that, they didnt have any in stock anyway and apprently there is only two makes of that size they deal with.

Just be thankful its not 4WD, i had a kick in the balls a few days back, 3 months ago i put a set of new continental tyres on the S4, last week i got a puncture and the tyre could not be repaired, had to buy another 4 new tyres as 4wd:(

Eh? I've not heard that one before. I changed single tyres on my Evo a few times.

Is this a new thing or did they see you coming? :D

Eh? I've not heard that one before. I changed single tyres on my Evo a few times.

Is this a new thing or did they see you coming? :D

Could this be something to do with the S4 traction control electronics etc, whatever it is if thats for real then i've just crossed them off my list of cars to own

You can damage the diffs on 4wd cars running unevenly worn tyres, you can get away with a very slight difference in depth but mine was 2mm worn, (so thats 4mm overall) i like a car to drive spot on so changed all 4.

Is that not old school diffs though? I'm sure that was something from YEARS back, pretty sure the modern diffs have something in place that means you can happily change them in pairs.

I didn't, I just changed them one at a time and threw caution to the wind.... no issues at all and the handling was 2nd to none.

Just be thankful its not 4WD, i had a kick in the balls a few days back, 3 months ago i put a set of new continental tyres on the S4, last week i got a puncture and the tyre could not be repaired, had to buy another 4 new tyres as 4wd:(

Jesus fella, not good at all.

You can damage the diffs on 4wd cars running unevenly worn tyres, you can get away with a very slight difference in depth but mine was 2mm worn, (so thats 4mm overall difference) i like a car to drive spot on so changed all 4.

I had a 4wd mondeo for 8 years and never had a problem with changing one tyre.The brake test at mot time was fun i made sure they new it was 4wd

jamie is right They do recommend that you change the tyres at the same time .