The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heat coating worth the bother?

JamieP

1064 degrees C

What is the max EGT that is seen as safe when REALLY pushing these cars? I thought I saw 1000C mentioned somewhere? I know I'll hit 900-1000F just cruising on the motorway.

If that is the case I could see the plating dripping off lol.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well gold plating is the best for heat reduction, if its good enough for some dragsters and turbo housings then i believe its still a very good option

It will be fine on some parts of the engine, I can't see it being used on an exhaust manifold though, it would come off. Have you seen those things glow bright cherry red lol.

Proper Zircotec coatings are fabulous, but only worth it if you either want a nice to look at finish (DO NOT choose white, it shows every finger mark when the grease from them is baked, choose black), or you want to substantially reduce under bonnet heat. I doubt any performance gains from retaining heat in the header pies will be noticeable, I have never felt a difference. Peter at Camcoat is a friend of mine, but the reason their coating is cheaper is that it's not the same product at all. It works, but is not as good as Zircotec.

What is the maximum temperature that gold plating over nickel plating on a copper base alloy can withstand? Will it withstand 600 deg F for 2 hours?

thats why!

:)

Find me a temp for it then. Everything I am reading says that gold plating is for low temp applications.

the highest use i can find is 1086 degrees c

which is very high but i think dull off, but still bloody good. i can platinum plate too lol

That is the temperature resistance of gold. Gold plating is a completely different bucket of spanners. I don't know any gold plating firm that won't first pre-coat the material with another material. For high temperature resistance you are generally after platinum (I think).

Are you doing the gold plating yourself? What is your process? Or are you sub conning it? (Reason I ask is you said you can platinum plate).

no you have to pre coat the surface your doing or atleast activate it... i am plating myself and also using 2 other firms which do some larger items for us.

i can plate platinum but its not cheap and would need to be ordered special. i never realised the running temperature of the manifold but should have guessed it would be more than 1100 as they do glow cherry red ha ha.

The colour of a piece of steel may be used as a guide to it's temperature. These are particulalrly useful when hardening or tempering steel.

Colour °C

Pale yellow 221

Straw 230

Golden yellow 243

Brown 254

Brown to purple 266

Purple 277

Bright blue 288

Blue 293

Dark blue 316

Just visible red 500 to 600

Dull cherry red 700 to 750

Cherry red 750 to 825

Bright cherry red 825 to 875

Brightest red 900 to 950

Orange 950 to 1000

Light orange 1000 to 1050

Lemon 1100 to 1200

White 1200 to 1300

The colour of a piece of steel may be used as a guide to it's temperature. These are particulalrly useful when hardening or tempering steel.

Colour °C

Pale yellow 221

Straw 230

Golden yellow 243

Brown 254

Brown to purple 266

Purple 277

Bright blue 288

Blue 293

Dark blue 316

Just visible red 500 to 600

Dull cherry red 700 to 750

Cherry red 750 to 825

Bright cherry red 825 to 875

Brightest red 900 to 950

Orange 950 to 1000

Light orange 1000 to 1050

Lemon 1100 to 1200

White 1200 to 1300

nice info dunk

no you are correct thats ideally what its best at, but as discussed heat coating it very exspensive so why not plate other items to get rid of heat... just not manifolds

I can see where your coming from Rob but the idea of coating the manifold is to keep the heat in.

This helps keep under bonnet temps down but more importantly keeps the gases in the manifold hot which makes them move quicker aiding in spool.

That is the temperature resistance of gold. Gold plating is a completely different bucket of spanners. I don't know any gold plating firm that won't first pre-coat the material with another material. For high temperature resistance you are generally after platinum (I think).

Are you doing the gold plating yourself? What is your process? Or are you sub conning it? (Reason I ask is you said you can platinum plate).

Just face it, your wrong and rob is right...!:p