The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heat coating worth the bother?

JamieP

I can see where your coming from Rob but the idea of coating the manifold is to keep the heat in.

This helps keep under bonnet temps down but more importantly keeps the gases in the manifold hot which makes them move quicker aiding in spool.

oh shows what i know then, for some reason i was thinking the opposite to you, i thought you didnt want heat.. oh it makes sense now. sorry if i confused matters guys.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just face it, your wrong and rob is right...!:p

He has already admitted to being wrong bud. He didn't realise just how high the exhaust manifold temps actually went. I'm not entirely sure either but cherry red (around 800-950degC) is a common thing to see on the dyno, never mind when really pushing it for extended periods on a track etc. I'm almost positive I read that anything above 1000C can be a bit iffy, can't be sure though.

Gold plating won't stand up to anywhere near the temperatures as gold itself will, due to the under coatings required for the gold to adhere.

My bad,,, I am just bored and Scott is so easy to wind up...! ha-ha ha

A few people have said that on here, you would be surprised at just how laid back and relaxed I am when you think I am wound up though. Have you ever thought that maybe the shoe was actually on the other foot? ;)

If the goal was to keep the exhaust gas hotter then the inside of the pipe would be coated , IF spool was improved by higher inlet turbine temps (due soley by the improved reduction in heat loss by conduction) then it could also cause longevity problems with the turbine at fully spooled conditions and possibly have a negative effect on the wastegate .

Very expensive way of protecting surrounding components from heat

Almost no info is available on turbine effects from the manufacturer and indeed turbo manufacturers

My stuff is all coated by Zircotec in the Performance Black which is the standard white ceramic coating with a black over the top. I cannot give any hard quantitative facts about the actual heat reduction but I can say that the underbonnet area is cooler with it all coated. (I did run the car before coating everything to check fits etc before dropping the big £££ on the coating).

One thing I will add (which I just found out today) is that the Zircotec stuff has a three year warranty for road use. That is pretty good in my book and I will be taking advantage of it as I have a small amount of flaking of the top black coat on my turbine housing.

If I had to do it all over again.....I would do the coating again for definite.

zz.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

My stuff is all coated by Zircotec in the Performance Black which is the standard white ceramic coating with a black over the top. I cannot give any hard quantitative facts about the actual heat reduction but I can say that the underbonnet area is cooler with it all coated. (I did run the car before coating everything to check fits etc before dropping the big £££ on the coating).

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Zircotec%20Parts/CIMG3387a.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Zircotec%20Parts/CIMG3389a.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Zircotec%20Parts/CIMG3397a.jpg

One thing I will add (which I just found out today) is that the Zircotec stuff has a three year warranty for road use. That is pretty good in my book and I will be taking advantage of it as I have a small amount of flaking of the top black coat on my turbine housing.

If I had to do it all over again.....I would do the coating again for definite.

What kind of cost dan?

Its not just down to the instant HP increases though is it? The damaging effects of heat in an engine bay where things have been turned up beyond maximum will make themselves known when wiring insulation cracks and shrinks, plastic parts crack, pipework perishes, and other parts get heat damaged. Long term heat damage can have massive consequences. If the said companies kit works then its money worth spending if you are going to keep the car.

I just don't understand something about coating?

It may get the engine bay cooler, but where the heat goes? it doesn't disappear like magic for sure!

How about the internal temperature on the pipes manifold and turbo housing?

wont the manifold be more prone to crack on the long term use?

In my mind I think it would be more adequate to route cold air in to the engine bay. (and it's far more cheap)

Yes they are 2 diferent types of coating, the Zircotec can only be applied to the outside of the manifold and can be applied a lot thicker, the camcoat can be applied inside and out because it is only Microns thick, if the coating were to come away it will not damage the turbo. I believe the figures are actually a lot closer than you know. Any bets if camcoat were to charge £1000 a manifold suddenly it would be 'the new' product to have. Having spoken to Pete im more than happy I have made the right choice.