The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone going to watch Top Gear after last weeks casual racism?

RedM

But you talk sh*t and always get quoted ? :)

Yeah, but I don't come across as charmless. Just saying....

Political correctness gone mad. Ah, that get out clause used by the ignorant to justify their behaviour.

"I can't insult black people? That's political correctness gone mad", "I can't punch women? That's political correctness gone mad", "I can't drive at 80mph through a school playground? That's political correctness gone mad" and so on.

Idiots.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'I could write about how, up until December, I was doing volunteer work with people that most of you would disparagingly call immigrants. Basically helping them learn about life in a new country from how and where to cross a road safely'

Bloody hell, where did they come from ? They never seen a road?

Edit: One of yours ? Needs his skills refining me thinks :D

Why then, with millions of Top Gear viewers in the UK, did these quotes get literally 10s of complaints? The only reaso this particular story has legs is because the Mexican Government took offence

I'll take your word for it on the 'tens of complaints.' I think Top Gear's regular viewers are unlikely to complain, because that's what many of them watch it for. As for everybody else,there's a big difference between thinking its unacceptable and actually registering feelings about it (say with OFCOM).

By the way, for those who think that the Mexicans would take it as good-natured fun, apparently not all of them did. This from The Economist:

The clip has reached the Mexican papers’ websites too. "Top Gear", to the eternal embarrassment of Britons living in Mexico, is very popular here. But one network of radio stations has already said it will boycott BBC content in protest. This week’s stunt might have gone down well in the domestic market (population: 62m), but it has been an own goal in at least one export market (population: 112m). How long before the "Top Gear" PR machine crunches into reverse?

I think for every genuinely ridiculous PC-gone-mad incident - and there are some - there are ten that are misrepresented by mischief-makers. The Mail for example, seem to have a team of hacks that do nothing but do this. The stories about 'banning Christmas' or 'Baa baa rainbow sheep' or whatever push people's buttons so much that very few actually check out the truth behind the claims. Often, they are little more than urban myths. As I say, I'm not denying that it ever happens, but there's a lot of straw men.

Can't disagree on that one... there's an awful lot of pot stirring going on, but it sells papers. It's the age old tabloid news formula of Sensitive current issue + dramatic story readers can latch on to

You'd have to say something worth quoting first. Keep trying though. You'll get there eventually.

With regard to Davej705 and his comments there's not a lot that I could write that hasn't already been covered by Tannhauser. I could maybe write about how the majority of people who think racism is harmless banter are white and will never be in a position to experience it for themselves. I could maybe write about how I do get bothered to the point of activism by a lot of what goes on the world. I could write that I feel passionately enough animal rights/welfare, the environment and other issues to freely give my time to do 'my little bit' for the cause(s). I could write about how, up until December, I was doing volunteer work with people that most of you would disparagingly call immigrants. Basically helping them learn about life in a new country from how and where to cross a road safely to opening bank accounts and enrolling themselves in education or finding a permanent home. I could write about how that got pushed aside thanks to Tory cuts. I could write about how angry that made me and how sad I felt for them that one poky office and a few paid staff were deemed too expensive for them.

I won't though because IanC will just take the p*ss. What I will put is that racism is fundamentally wrong. You can't be just a little bit racist. You either are or you aren't (except where the Welsh are concerned. Top Gear Clause). I'd love to hear someone explain how racism can ever be okay and have it make sense. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

lol ! if you actually took offense you need to sort your life out. You know how they are and the jokes they come up with.

But if you cant handle lightharted casual rasism once in 10 years i suggest you dont watch it.

Once again... Agreed, I don't care if anyone insults me to my face in any way if its meant as a joke....because it a joke and if its funny I laugh

What are you doing in London? Still working for the Gas?

Aye still with the gas but moved over into the IS & Design world. At the moment on a 3 years project designing certain areas of the system being used by 4000+ frontline agents . From requirements to estimations through to testing it (hopefully breaking it) followed by deploying it.