The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone going to watch Top Gear after last weeks casual racism?

RedM

I guess most people didn't read it because they were too busy being offended at having their right to be racist eroded by *yawn* 'political correctness gone mad'. Stewart Lee also does a brilliant routine about that too but most of the brilliant minds on here would probably fail to understand it.

Just joking of course. Y'know, in a Top Gear way.

Im not racist, but my mexican gardener is. :D

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame really, when you consider just how good the earlier material was, how entertaining and genuinely interesting it all was. Things were at least vaguely on the subject at hand, there was a real feeling of involvement and they were very influential and entertaining. Now unfortunately the sum output appears to be bitter and cynical run-of-the-mill stuff, very predictable and scripted, nothing much to do with cars, and simply geared towards stirring up rage and fury - with little thought to any knock-on consequences. It's just attention seeking really, to get more eyeballs on them.

And unfortunately there is, when challenged on anything that has been said, an awful lot of "shut up, I know better than you" bandied around. Even, somehow, a moral highground can rear up! Like you're being done a favour by having these opinions thrown in your face.

Yes folks, I preferred the earlier episodes. Of RedM's posts ;) see what i did there

It's a shame really, when you consider just how good the earlier material was, how entertaining and genuinely interesting it all was. Things were at least vaguely on the subject at hand, there was a real feeling of involvement and they were very influential and entertaining. Now unfortunately the sum output appears to be bitter and cynical run-of-the-mill stuff, very predictable and scripted, nothing much to do with cars, and simply geared towards stirring up rage and fury - with little thought to any knock-on consequences. It's just attention seeking really, to get more eyeballs on them.

And unfortunately there is, when challenged on anything that has been said, an awful lot of "shut up, I know better than you" bandied around. Even, somehow, a moral highground can rear up! Like you're being done a favour by having these opinions thrown in your face.

Yes folks, I preferred the earlier episodes. Of RedM's posts ;) see what i did there

Sums him up well ;)

Totally agree with you mate

That's really good. I liked it very much.

After ten pages, I think I've learned quite a lot from this thread.

1. First and foremost, if you think something is morally wrong, do nothing

You should just turn over and watch something else. You shouldn't complain or voice your opinion on it. That would be pointless. You shouldn't even ask the question about who else might be watching it. e.g.

Don't understand the hate to be honest, you don't like it, just don't watch it. Everyone has different tastes, I don't feel the need to bash Songs of Praise or tell everyone that I'm not watching it.

I will be watching. It is only a bit of banter. What is up with the world today can you not have a laugh without phoning Ofcom.

2. There is no difference between what you say with a few mates and what a programme with an audience of tens of millions says.

Apparently, you need put no more thought into comments made to a vast international audience than those made to an audience of, say, five. The two have an equal impact and import. There's no difference to what we say in the public arena to the private arena. e.g.

Everyday there is slagging matches in my work, some of which gets a bit gritty. It is always taken in good jest.

3. Stereotypes are true!

This was the biggest surprise to me. For example, I was thought that the stereotype of a 'thick Irishman' was itself a bit thick (Jonathon Swift, Sean O'Casey, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Oscar Wilde etc etc etc etc). But No! For example:

Pfft, A stereotype is a held popular belief about specific groups or types of individuals - Try asking the Mexicans to stop living up to it.

This post also contained a helpful definition.

4. You're never going to stop stereotyping anyway, so it's pointless to protest about it.

Again, this is a surprise for anyone who remembers the 1970s. That means that it's still widely believed that gay people are mostly paedophiles, want to be women and all talk like John Inman.

and sterio types will allways be around about people fromn different places

(Actually, I sort of agree, there will always be stereotypes, but that doesn't mean we should just roll over and accept them, especially when they are offensive).

5. There is no difference between comic effect based on hair colour and one based on ethnic or national stereotypes

This is because the way in which stereotypes are used worldwide to justify inflicting untold misery is equivalent to playground teasing. Also, like playground teasing, it's childish to make a fuss about it

Pffft... me thinks some people get offended too easily. Reminds me of nursery though, "You called me fat, I'm gonna tell the teacher on you!"

I'm ginger, and laughed my head off at Frankie Boyle mocking ginger people for 10 minutes, some of his best stand-up.

6. Disagreeing with xenophobic presenters on top rank BBC programmes is part of a systematic campaign to stop you thinking anything or doing anything

Far from just disagreeing with presenters using crude racial slurs, this is part of a campaign, orchestrated by a tiny minority on the Looney Left, to stop you doing anything. Very few people except a 'PC brigade' find racial stereotyping unacceptable. Evidence for this is on this BBS, which represents the views of most everyone in the UK.

It's more than about rudeness. This is a symbolic struggle. Being deliberately offensive to someone on the basis of their nationality is our inalienable God given right. The only confusion I have with this is that 'human rights' are normally not acknowledged by many of the posters on this thread.

7. Opposing views to those expressed in 1-6 are signs of irrational thinking

At last people who actually think rationally.

Im just letting other people know, who have the same opinions as I, that they arent the only other sane people left in this world.

Crikey.

4. You're never going to stop stereotyping anyway, so it's pointless to protest about it.

Again, this is a surprise for anyone who remembers the 1970s. That means that it's still widely believed that gay people are mostly paedophiles.

Not so widely any more, just amongst religious nutters:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/07/government-drug-adviser-anti-gay

Only just seen this thread, not sure just what racism was mooted as I very rarely can bring myself to watch the puerile drivel. As a fan of `Til death us do part and other Alf Garnett comedy I probably wouldn't have noticed or been bothered, I have to admit. Those who think racism is ever going to go away, rather than being beaten under the carpet by the PC brigade, are totally out of kilter with the way the human race works. It's always been around and always will be around, simple fact. I won't tell the brass cat joke then.... not even in the not work safe section if this is the result of a bit of low key racism ;)

Those who think racism is ever going to go away, rather than being beaten under the carpet by the PC brigade, are totally out of kilter with the way the human race works. It's always been around and always will be around, simple fact.

That's no reason not to call people on it when it is encountered.

I am genuinely amazed at how easily offended some people get about things like this. What rainbow filled dream world have you people been living in? Jesus Christ, it was a joke. No-one was hurt. Lighten up ffs. Life is hard enough without being told what you can and cannot say at all times. There are much worse things in the world what you softies probably never worry about, like entire nations starving while we are well fed, yet you are outraged that jc made a stereotypical joke about some mexicans.