The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone going to watch Top Gear after last weeks casual racism?

RedM

Also, what is the Tesla lie? Missed that as well...

Here

There was more to it than this, but one part was this: Clarkson is shown on the track in the Tesla. Going from memory, he says something like 'oh, what's going on?' making concerned faces. The music winds down on the soundtrack. Next shot is the car coming to a stop. Next shot is them pushing the Tesla back into the garage.The message they were showing was crystal clear: the Tesla ran out of juice on the track.

Except it didn't,and they were forced to admit that it didn't. Top Gear maintained that it would have done, but iirc, Tesla disputed that. Now, I'm fine with them staging long distance races or challenges, but here they are staging a track test. And then had the gall to try to justify it. So I find it hard to trust anything they say, even about cars.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've tried that, but...I don't know. Ever since they got caught lying about the Tesla - I know I can't even trust the track tests or commentary. The races and stunts are just situation comedy pieces. So the only point in watching is to look at video footage of cars. Even there, the editing is so ADHD it does my head in. Then there's the thought that I'm watching a program where the presenters mislead about big social issues as well -it sort of makes my skin crawl.

If they would cut out all the yukking it up and trying to be outrageous and made it into a motoring program - instead of some sitcom/magazine aimed at Essex Man - I'd watch it again. I'd be happy with a less lame version of Fifth Gear.

Er thats essexist, i expect you will be charged with somthing for that? Oh no that will be allowed because it's aimed at white hetrosexual men, what a sad world that you cant have a bit of banter unless the minority say its ok

He's some kind of knob isn't he? It's a bit different to make jokes about mexicans and polititians than it is to make jokes(?) about wishing children would go blind and people would die in pain and agony. I get what he was trying to do (yes I watched all of it) but it's just wrong. Whether or not you think TG is bad taste that pleb just took it too far.

How about murdering prostitutes? Is that different?

Er thats essexist, i expect you will be charged with somthing for that? Oh no that will be allowed because it's aimed at white hetrosexual men, what a sad world that you cant have a bit of banter unless the minority say its ok

Edited: totally missed the point of what you said first time around.

I actually haven't made any comments about any xenophobia or racism on the program. I also haven't said you can or can't have banter at someone else's expense.

I'm saying that personally, it doesn't suit me because it now seems targeted at A Certain Sort of Person Who Isn't Necessarily From Essex (- how's that?). I'm sure plenty of people outside that demographic watch it too.

He's some kind of knob isn't he? It's a bit different to make jokes about mexicans and polititians than it is to make jokes(?) about wishing children would go blind and people would die in pain and agony. I get what he was trying to do (yes I watched all of it) but it's just wrong. Whether or not you think TG is bad taste that pleb just took it too far.

Clearly there are some concepts that you fail to grasp but thanks for taking the time to watch all of it.

Paul, I think you'll find that mexicans work harder than lazy brits, they are up at 4 in the morning going to work 16 hour days in a job that pays them 40 quid a week just to feed their family, without any chance of a better life because of their corrupt government and drug cartels running the country.

Edited: totally missed the point of what you said first time around.

I actually haven't made any comments about any xenophobia or racism on the program. I also haven't said you can or can't have banter at someone else's expense.

I'm saying that personally, it doesn't suit me because it now seems targeted at A Certain Sort of Person Who Isn't Necessarily From Essex (- how's that?). I'm sure plenty of people outside that demographic watch it too.

Lol not bothered by what you said, thats a stereo type of Essex man Essex girls etc. You didnt offend me because in real life you get banter, world would be a better place if we could laugh at our selves.

Lol not bothered by what you said, thats a stereo type of Essex man Essex girls etc. You didnt offend me because in real life you get banter, world would be a better place if we could laugh at our selves.

Totally agree.i think a few people seem to miss the point that it was a joke.

I will be watching. It is only a bit of banter. What is up with the world today can you not have a laugh without phoning Ofcom and jumping on a bandwagon. JC has had sly digs at a lot of nationalities and individuals just laugh it off or don't watch the programme.

Everyday there is slagging matches in my work, some of which gets a bit gritty. It is always taken in good jest. Time for folk to grow thick skin again.

Paul, I think you'll find that mexicans work harder than lazy brits, they are up at 4 in the morning going to work 16 hour days in a job that pays them 40 quid a week just to feed their family, without any chance of a better life because of their corrupt government and drug cartels running the country.

Mmmmm, a few years back a large Aerospace company moved it's main manufacturing to Mexico, within a year it was all rushed back to the UK as it was a disaster over there. Them pesky drug cartels no doubt !

At the end most nationalities are just as bad as each other at taking digs at other nationalities due to the stereotypes. For example when I was living in the USA people would joke about the Brits having really bad yellow teeth, or the stereo typical boring English man that wears socks with this flip-flops to the beach.

So I agree have a crack and move on..! It’s all a bit of banter…!

At the end most nationalities are just as bad as each other at taking digs at other nationalities due to the stereotypes. For example when I was living in the USA people would joke about the Brits having really bad yellow teeth, or the stereo typical boring English man that wears socks with this flip-flops to the beach.

So I agree have a crack and move on..! It’s all a bit of banter…!

Very true, when I was in Mexico for a while some dudes I met out there were constantly on about us 'Brits' drinking warm beer, being obese and thinking about cups of tea all day.... do you know what didn't cross my mind... "Hmmmm casual racism, I'm offended"....but then I guess we all have different opinions on what racism is.