The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone going to watch Top Gear after last weeks casual racism?

RedM

I'm giving it a miss from now on. Last week was the final straw in a joke that long ago stopped being funny from a show that stopped being interesting for much of it's time.

Have a look at this too. In my opinion it is probably the critical, self-aware, cover all bases argument against Top Gear I've even seen.

w0i0RXMvzMs

The have a read of this from long-term Top Gear fan, Steve Coogan.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I will be watching....avidly.

(Now sat here waiting for the Racist comment/tag)

I do sometimes find it a bit boring, but as there are only 3 presenters, and they write it to so they will eventually run out of ideas. Till then though it is one of the few things on BBC that I even bother to watch, I have to suffer enforced civility and PC-ness at work it makes a change (note I have not used the word NICE) to see something that doesnt have that. Free country and all that, Voltare said it best _ I dont agree with you but I will fight for your right to say it.

Usually it is the uber PC rabid types who try to dictate what others should think and say, and looking as it was the Grunuad who published the rant I have to say it is sticking to form and type. Personally I wouldnt wipe my a$$ with the Grunuad let alone read it but each to their own...

Yes, I'll still be watching it. I find it entertaining and I'm not one of the modern day politically correct easily offended types. I don't feel the need to jump on any band wagon in some sort of show of unity that general banter/light hearted jokery (whatever it can be termed as) needs to be stamped out and removed from free speech just because others do not agree. What sort of world would it be if EVERYTHING that was said HAD to be uniformly agreed by everybody? Pretty damn boring and heavily restricted freedom of opinion/speech I would say.

Not suggesting that this is your stance RedM. You have your own reasons which are personal to you and have every right to have them. Just like everyone else should be able to have their own opinion about what is light hearted, funny or offensive etc. But it would be a sad day in freedom if blanket rules were laid out so that everything that people say that was a bit 'off the wall' or 'not uniformly accepted was to be punished.

Just my opinion by the way.

I'll be watching it...

And to the above clip @6:50, oooh right so saying a racism crack is wrong but hoping some one is dead is SOOOOO much better. EDIT : Can't even be bothered to finish watching it...

They did a similar joke on SNL a few weeks back, don't recall it hitting the headlines and becoming the 'big' topic.

I'll be watching it...

And to the above clip @6:50, oooh right so saying a racism crack is wrong but hoping some one is dead is SOOOOO much better.

They did a similar joke on SNL a few weeks back, don't recall it hitting the headlines and becoming the 'big' topic.

Did you watch to the very end where he felt the need to explain the comments about Hammond? I'm guessing not.

It's 15 minutes of some bloke bleating on about not liking Top Gear. (EDIT: that I'll never get back)

I did try to find some Top Gear related material from a comic more in keeping with the forum but it soon became clear that Bernard Manning never watched it.