The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bit Of A Turbo Dilemma...

heckler

Ok,

Just heard back from CR via AFR that my turbo is, shall we say... "has now expired", Its currently a PHR T60-1 on a cast manifold producing 550Bhp - now I've been given a few options,

• Rebuild with journal bearing - £550 approx
  • Rebuild with BB cartridge - £850 approx (basically T40Z parts)
  • Buy a new turbo

I'll be calling CR tommorow for more info...

If I go for a new one, for roughly the same power output, what would I be looking at cost wise?

Ideas on a postcard, (or in this thread which would be easier!)

Well a new PHR Stage 1 T60 turbo is $1150. This way you know it will fit and work with what you have already.

Your cheapest option would be a rebuild by CR. Again the advantage is that the rebuild will be the only cost and it will just bolt straight back on. Thats probably what I would do for the moment. Unless your looking to update the manifold and turbo together.

6765 not floating your boat?

Me or Si? lol

If me, then yeah definitely. But for similar money I can get a Garrett which on paper is putting down VERY strong numbers. Will decide nearer the time when I have seen some real world figures and seen some graphs :)

How come your turbo is goosed?

Its the same tubby as mine and it has taken a pounding over the years, it was 2nd hand when I purchased it and Paul use to run it at 1.8bar :shock:

If I was in the same situation I would be looking for another journal bearing unit to keep costs down, possibly a small BW unit which should give better spool, a little more power and more torque.

How come your turbo is goosed?

Its the same tubby as mine and it has taken a pounding over the years, it was 2nd hand when I purchased it and Paul use to run it at 1.8bar :shock:

If I was in the same situation I would be looking for another journal bearing unit to keep costs down, possibly a small BW unit which should give better spool, a little more power and more torque.

I dont know, l'll be giving CR a ring tommorow to see what they say... just got to think what other options are available.

If you intend on keeping the turbo for a while it's worth the extra pennies for bb, with turbo technology moving leaps and bounds at the minute, I went with a journal, and am awaiting some good results and over time testing of the new bw turbos and the gtx units for an upgrade next year. Hang on, I haven't even fitted this one yet, lol

Because of the speed and temperatures involved with turbos, and the ever tighter tolerances, a knock on effect of all this progress is that when they get damaged or go wrong, they are pretty much junked. £850 for a DBB unit sounds about right, you'll basically get a whole new core and wheels unit. DBB every time, why on earth wouldn't you :D

The quote for £850 (CR's price) is for genuine Garrett DBB to turn it into a TO4Z They will use Si's housing with Garrett cartridge, same with the journal, how £525 is expensive for new cartridge with wheels fitted and balanced is beyond me.!!!!!

The quote for £850 (CR's price) is for genuine Garrett DBB to turn it into a TO4Z They will use Si's housing with Garrett cartridge, same with the journal, how £525 is expensive for new cartridge with wheels fitted and balanced is beyond me.!!!!!

take it they re-use the compressor and hotside housings? - but I think DBB is the way forward... :D

Like I said, i'll give them a ring tommorow...