The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worst car crashes you've been in (With pics!!)

Jamesy

im still waiting for my insurance to try and get some funds for me it was a killer for me being out of work for 6 months no sick pay and a bloody mortgage to try and pay.

your mate with the brain hemrage does he still suffer with little things now like his speach or memory i still have little problems and all i suffered with was two 1mm bruises on each side of the brain,

they seem to think i will make a 100% recovery it just takes time, also how long did it take for the claim to get sorted?

pm me if you dont want to broadast it

He dosent suffer from anything now might have the odd headache no Nd then but nothing serious. Although he has lost 50% hearing in his right ear. Took him a while to get his head sorted things like balance and thinking about stuff he does everyday for his job. But he's fine now but that was about 6 or so years ago. It took about 3 years for them to get there compo as there was Alot of arguing about who was at fault. My mate who lost his memory was the worst as he still suffers from outburst.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is a cheerful thread.

At least everyone has lived. I used to represent 'estates' a lot of the time. Or if they were really unlucky their legal guardian because the person involved in the crash was so bably brain damaged they couldn't look after themselves but somehow managed to live.

It worries me when reading this thread to note how many people here appear to have caused the accident in the first place.

At least everyone has lived. I used to represent 'estates' a lot of the time. Or if they were really unlucky their legal guardian because the person involved in the crash was so bably brain damaged they couldn't look after themselves but somehow managed to live.

Yep - if I ever had to work with probate and wills dept at work I'd know I was in for a jolly fun day. :)

Yep - if I ever had to work with probate and wills dept at work I'd know I was in for a jolly fun day. :)

LOL. Never had to work in those departments fortunatley. I'm told it's far too exciting. Drunks, swingers and bare knuckle fighters.

Families often bring dependency claims etc when loved ones are killed. Also bring claims on behalf of the estate. Legal guardian's for those with a lack of mental capacity.

Only had one crash (fell of bikes a few times on slippy roads, but all low speed and no damage) and it was a bit af a life-changer.

October 1994, few months after my 21st, riding a CB450 home from work down the A6 towards Preston. Traffic was backed up for a few miles due to roadworks (they were adding another lane to the M6) and I was filtering past the cars, doing about 20-25mph.

All I saw was the nose of a Fiesta (old square-shape) at an angle 2 cars in front. I literally had only enough time to stretch my fingers to the clutch & brake levers before I hit.

The driver (in his 70's) had decided to U-turn and take the back-roads and was more or less perpendicular across the middle of the road and still moving when I hit his door. The arse-end of the bike kicked up and slammed me head first through his side window while his momentum made the bike twist round and mash my left foot between the petrol tank and the car. Unfortunately, my left shoulder hit the door pillar square on, bending the floor pan and roof a good 8 inch.

I had kind of blacked out just before impact, but I remember feeling myself roll down the front wing and hit the deck. When I started coming to, I did the usual extremeties check - legs, yeah, left foot hurts; right arm, yeah; left arm - holy freaking shit! My left arm appeared to be a few feet away from my body and the fingers were still twitching! At that point, what was obviously some form of tunnel vision from the head impact cleared and my arm was in fact still attached, but it felt like I'd bust my collar-bone.

I sat up, felt a mouth full of loose things and spat out half a dozen little cubes of glass (not teeth, as I'd feared) felt my helmet (Ed, stop it, not that one) for damage and reckoned I was okay to remove it. Managed to limp to the side of the road and was brought a cup of tea by one of the householders.

Was in hospital for less than 24 hours, my left ankle was put in a cast having been broken in 3 places and apparently very close to cutting the main artery to my foot and I was told I had a brachial plexus injury to my left shoulder. Basically, the nerves had been stretched causing almost total paralysis to my arm, but they would right themselves within 18 months. With that, I was given a pair (yes, A PAIR) of crutches, no lessons on how to use them and chucked out hopping on one crutch and dragging the the other in my useless left arm.

Started to get some limited movement back after maybe 8 months and was soon able to ride again, although the pain was quite severe (leading to a codeine addiction, but that's another story).

Jump to summer 1996 and I'd regained a bit more movement (still couldn't lift my arm more than 90 degrees) and we were over on the Isle of Man for TT week. 4 days of getting up at 5am and blasting round the course before the roads closed and my shoulder collapsed again, completely paralysed.

Got taken into Nobles hospital, explained my history to the consultant and he was shocked that Preston hospital had not bothered to run any tests. One nasty letter later and I was being booked in for MRI, CT and nerve induction tests. This took the best part of 12 months before they were finally completed and in the end, I was told that I'd severed some of the nerves under my armpit and it was too late to repair the damage. I was offered reconstructive surgery, but that would involve having my chest cut open and nerves from my pectoral grafted into my shoulder and was only a 20% chance of success. That was declined.

So that was that. My left ankle gives me gyp in cold weather and I'm stuck with limited use of my left arm. Okay from the elbow down, but still can't move my arm much more than 90 degrees around and can barely lift a cup with it.

*SNIP*

So that was that. My left ankle gives me gyp in cold weather and I'm stuck with limited use of my left arm. Okay from the elbow down, but still can't move my arm much more than 90 degrees around and can barely lift a cup with it.

Not nice to hear stories like this, and I hope you took them for a decent compo claim!

It always amazes me how the hospitals skip vital scans to save cost on clearly genuine cases but are very quick to accept running scan's on benefit cases just because they kick up a fuss....

Not nice to hear stories like this, and I hope you took them for a decent compo claim!

It always amazes me how the hospitals skip vital scans to save cost on clearly genuine cases but are very quick to accept running scan's on benefit cases just because they kick up a fuss....

Part of the problem is that I was treated like it was my fault because I rode a bike. I had little or no help from the hospital whatsoever and any complaint was met with a "well, if you didn't ride dirty motorbikes, then you wouldn't be here" attitude.

I was stuck doing agency work after the crash and did a stint a an electrician's mate. I was in severe pain and having difficulty keeping my arm out in front of me to hold tools and whatnot. I saw the consultant about it and was told (in all seriousness) "Well, can't you stand on a box so you don't have to hold your arm out?"

It took about 5 years of arguing and I ended up with £8000. As I work in an office, they decided that the loss of use of half my non-dominant arm wouldn't affect me significantly. Bastards.

I saw half a dozen different consultants who all took one look and agreed there was muscle wastage and said they'd contact Preston hospital for my notes. After that I'd get a letter saying it was all psychosematic and there was nothing physically wrong.

It was a long and futile battle and in the end I just had to accept the payout and get on with things. I did think about taking action against the hospital, but the insurance fight had worn me down completely. It just wasn't worth all the hassle to probably get sod all at the end of it.

i have been in 3 crashes where people were racing me and they have crashed all resulting in fatalities one being so bad i had to get rid of my car afterwards to avoid being killed by very angry gypsies and still to this day over 8 yrs after the event they still lay flowers where it happened on the east lancs road at mossley common......in every crash people maintained they were completely innocent but it was so far from the truth as each and every one tried to run red lights or shot across give way junctions....i was in another one where the lad was racing me all the way from leigh into astley i slowed down for a bend he raced around the outside of me and then hit a woman at around 70mph she was in hospital for months but get this she ended up engaged to him all the while he had told people he had been trying to get away from a gang of lads in a car that he said was trying to car jack him

i have been in 3 crashes where people were racing me and they have crashed all resulting in fatalities one being so bad i had to get rid of my car afterwards to avoid being killed by very angry gypsies and still to this day over 8 yrs after the event they still lay flowers where it happened on the east lancs road at mossley common......in every crash people maintained they were completely innocent but it was so far from the truth as each and every one tried to run red lights or shot across give way junctions....i was in another one where the lad was racing me all the way from leigh into astley i slowed down for a bend he raced around the outside of me and then hit a woman at around 70mph she was in hospital for months but get this she ended up engaged to him all the while he had told people he had been trying to get away from a gang of lads in a car that he said was trying to car jack him

:blink: .... different world!!!

people like you and your friends should be riding bicycles, and even that may be too dangerous for the other people.

yep every instance was random to be honest i should have expected it really it was a 205 dimma and every single 205 that pulled up along side of me seemed to want to race.......they might have been quick cars but they were paper thin and in crashes they were deadly

:blink:dont you think you should stop bloody racing on the streets are you trying to say its all there fault nothing to do with you if you believe that there is somthing wrong:rolleyes:

He dosent suffer from anything now might have the odd headache no Nd then but nothing serious. Although he has lost 50% hearing in his right ear. Took him a while to get his head sorted things like balance and thinking about stuff he does everyday for his job. But he's fine now but that was about 6 or so years ago. It took about 3 years for them to get there compo as there was Alot of arguing about who was at fault. My mate who lost his memory was the worst as he still suffers from outburst.

thats what is going on with my claim there trying to say i wasn't doing 30mph i probably wasn't to be honest its very hard on bikes;) but they can see for 78 meters so they would of definatly seen me coming or even heard me its obvious what they have done looked right then left and pulled out with out looking right again just like the bike adverts you always see once the weather starts warming up.

its been a terrible experiance for me i hardly ever sleep a hole night waking up every couple of hours which is starting to realy p*£s me off things are definatly geting better but it seems to be taking forever,

i had to learn how to do everything again just simple things like using the shower how to use a cash machine all the things ive done day in day out,once i was shown a couple of times it did start to stick,

work was the worst ive been manager for 6/7 years and it was like being a bloody trainee didn't have a clue what to do with the computer systems etc.

I have only had one and that was recent. 11 years of driving and I crash the only car I have ever really loved

See my thread lol

Some of these are crazy. What have people's experiences been with insurers? I have never had this situation so I am not sure how long to wait? How much to expect? They sent me an accident form and I filled it out. When can I expect a decision on whether it has been written off or not? What factors are considered?

Cheers

thats what is going on with my claim there trying to say i wasn't doing 30mph i probably wasn't to be honest its very hard on bikes;) but they can see for 78 meters so they would of definatly seen me coming or even heard me its obvious what they have done looked right then left and pulled out with out looking right again just like the bike adverts you always see once the weather starts warming up.

its been a terrible experiance for me i hardly ever sleep a hole night waking up every couple of hours which is starting to realy p*£s me off things are definatly geting better but it seems to be taking forever,

i had to learn how to do everything again just simple things like using the shower how to use a cash machine all the things ive done day in day out,once i was shown a couple of times it did start to stick,

work was the worst ive been manager for 6/7 years and it was like being a bloody trainee didn't have a clue what to do with the computer systems etc.

it should get better my mate was the same.

one of the things he tryed was the braintraining on nintendo ds he reckons that helped him a bit.

maybe worth ago

think the funniest one i have had was when me and my mate were doing handbrake turns on a patch on grass down by the river wye.

needless to say i got it a bit wrong carried to much speed in to one handbrake turn and couldnt pull out of it .

roll down the inbankment hit a small tree and staight into the river.

luckly the car rolled the right way up and was sort of sat on the tree and was kinda floating. i very calmly put the widow down to get but my missus at the time went in panic and opened the passanger door and the car went down like a brick.

had to get the other side of the car as she was a bit confused and started swiming off down the river.

it was in the middle of the summer so was warm water and not very deep the water only just coverd the roof of the car and could stand up once i got hold of her.

anyways five mintues later we were both sat on the grass drenched and in stiches. come back the next day got the festa van out of the river dryied out the electrics got the water out of the engine and it fired up couldnt beleave it.

owned it for a year after then sold it on never said about my deep see driving experience though.

could of been a hell of alot worse!!

think the funniest one i have had was when me and my mate were doing handbrake turns on a patch on grass down by the river wye.

needless to say i got it a bit wrong carried to much speed in to one handbrake turn and couldnt pull out of it .

roll down the inbankment hit a small tree and staight into the river.

luckly the car rolled the right way up and was sort of sat on the tree and was kinda floating. i very calmly put the widow down to get but my missus at the time went in panic and opened the passanger door and the car went down like a brick.

had to get the other side of the car as she was a bit confused and started swiming off down the river.

it was in the middle of the summer so was warm water and not very deep the water only just coverd the roof of the car and could stand up once i got hold of her.

anyways five mintues later we were both sat on the grass drenched and in stiches. come back the next day got the festa van out of the river dryied out the electrics got the water out of the engine and it fired up couldnt beleave it.

owned it for a year after then sold it on never said about my deep see driving experience though.

could of been a hell of alot worse!!

thats called a 'full detail' up here.... is that not normal? :search: