The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

Thanks Ryan, it will be good to see how the turbo technology advances, I hope they don't hamstring it, at the moment the GP bike engine tech is far ahead of the F1 engine stuff :( Have you seen DBW throttle actuators than can be retro fitted to a multiple throttle body set up, like the RB26DETT, or Jenvey type aftermarket set ups? Maybe I should drag myself out of the dark ages and embrace more of this electrickery? ;)

Chris, would each DBW throttle not require it's own input? I suppose Ryan could answer that.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope :( Only seen the VVTi ones in blue. I need a trader to make a hardpipe!

GReddy use to do an aluminium hardpipe for the VVTi 2JZ-GTE, they are discontinued now unfortunately but you may be able to find one, the part number is 13911251.

http://www.trust-power.com/03electric/img/radi_pipe.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Thanks Ryan, it will be good to see how the turbo technology advances, I hope they don't hamstring it, at the moment the GP bike engine tech is far ahead of the F1 engine stuff :( Have you seen DBW throttle actuators than can be retro fitted to a multiple throttle body set up, like the RB26DETT, or Jenvey type aftermarket set ups? Maybe I should drag myself out of the dark ages and embrace more of this electrickery? ;)

I have not seen any and doubt it could be done safely as you would IMO need 2 sensors for each butterfly to ensure maximum control and safety

I have not seen any and doubt it could be done safely as you would IMO need 2 sensors for each butterfly to ensure maximum control and safety

Do all the butterflies not run off the one rod though? Would it not be just as safe having 2 sensors on either the 1 butterfly or the rod itself?

Effectively they all open and close together, although each is independently adjustable for idle air flow by threaded rods. I would have thought a sensor on either end of the main rod would be OK? I wonder if any multi throttle body production cars have FBW, and how they work it? BMW's?

Today was just base-mapping guys, no power runs!

Car runs, DBW works a treat, car has seen positive boost and sounds fantastic - and quiet on idle. I need to arrange with Hodge to pick it up, then arrange a lift/train, then I'll drive it home and arrange an RR day with the venerable Mr Griffiths :)

I've got a TRD wing to go on, so when that's painted, I'll bring it over with me, and Hodge has said he'll fit it for me :)

Bit of a shitty day all round really.

Started off really well, car fired and ran perfectly. No leaks, vet quiet on tickover, idled perfectly. The DBW was just as smooth as a regular cable driven throttle.

We took it out to do some road mapping and things went pear shaped from there unfortunately. We were out for about an hour, again the car felt great, apart from Johnnys ridiculously heavy clutch lol. The car saw some positive boost and then game over. The front crank seal blew out.

We were extremely lucky to be fair. Ryan asked me to pull over so he could alter a few things and me being Mr. Paronoid went to check the engine bay and say the oil. If I hadn't have pulled over and checked it it would have Been an engine.

The pump in the car has done 193,000KM so I guess it was just worn and when it had to work harder than normal it's just gave up.

Hopefully next Saturday I'll strip it down and change the pump and seal and we'll be up and running again.

ahh man, chin up though. good job you see the fault when you did

Even though it was totally out of my control, I'm still gutted about it all. All was going so well. I suppose with a high Milage car an oil pump change is a must on a big power build.

Sorry to hear that, shitty job an all to change the oil pump, good going if you get it done in the day mate.

Id be tempted to pull the lump and rebuild it, i cant see a 200k engine lasting long at 700bhp if im honest.

Sorry to hear that, shitty job an all to change the oil pump, good going if you get it done in the day mate.

Id be tempted to pull the lump and rebuild it, i cant see a 200k engine lasting long at 700bhp if im honest.

Thanks mate. I'm taking the car up to a friends garage to use the ramp which will make the job a lot easier lol. Hopefully we will get it all stripped and replaced on the Saturday and rebuild all the other parts back on on Sunday. By that time the sealant will be dry on the pump and the sump so the car can be fired up.

On the side of rebuilding the engine, that's johnnys call mate. He was talking a 3.4 and billet turbos in a couple of years anyway.