Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ryans right, Toyota calibrate the gauge so it doesn't move until over 100 degrees. It makes the car look more reliable. I've had the car out before I did the pump and thermostat and the stock gauge went up to 3/4 which is way way over 100 degrees. After the pump and thermostat was done I took it out last night and saw around 97 degrees and took it home. I didn't want to risk it any further.

I'm almost certain now it's either the headgasket or a cracked head.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Ryans right, Toyota calibrate the gauge so it doesn't move until over 100 degrees. It makes the car look more reliable. I've had the car out before I did the pump and thermostat and the stock gauge went up to 3/4 which is way way over 100 degrees. After the pump and thermostat was done I took it out last night and saw around 97 degrees and took it home. I didn't want to risk it any further.

I'm almost certain now it's either the headgasket or a cracked head.

Sorry to hear your having so many issues mate,

Could it have caused some damage when the water hose blew?

Are you sure you have got all the air out the system, I took advice from Stuart W and fitted a little bleed valve in the heater hose at the back and its so easy to bleed, you can fill the system and squeeze hoses etc but when you take the bleed screw out you get loads more water in, when that head came off teh whole thing looked like new, gasket was perfect etc etc, so I would be very surprised if there was a problem, has it got hot yet.

After the speaking to a few people, the consensus is either Head Gasket, or a cracked head. The head gasket was new with the build. The head was new and refurbed from Dude at AFR. Can't seem to catch a break.Unsure what to do with the car now. Options?

After the speaking to a few people, the consensus is either Head Gasket, or a cracked head. The head gasket was new with the build. The head was new and refurbed from Dude at AFR. Can't seem to catch a break.Unsure what to do with the car now. Options?

are these not both easy fixes bud? im sure you could pick up a head get it checked fully and bang it in?

PITA mate, The only option seems to be remove the head, test for cracks and straight, refit with a new gasket, go from there.
It is mate. I'm very f'd off at the moment... I'd rather plough money into getting a Porsche than throw good after bad at this. At least I've got a new X6 to play with for a bit...

It is mate. I'm very f'd off at the moment... I'd rather plough money into getting a Porsche than throw good after bad at this. At least I've got a new X6 to play with for a bit...

i can see why your down on this but its not a huge problem, just another thing to iron out. chin up mate.

i can see why your down on this but its not a huge problem, just another thing to iron out. chin up mate.
HG is a fair chunk of cash.New head and swap is a bigger chunk of cash. At the point of think it might not be worth it.

HG is a fair chunk of cash.New head and swap is a bigger chunk of cash. At the point of think it might not be worth it.

Not wanting to make things worse but also to consider is it sounds like the turbos might need a rebuild? if it was my car i would sort that now also, seems mad to fit and map then have to remove them to be repaired later and fit and map again, sorting the head wont be major money if its just a gasket.

Not wanting to make things worse but also to consider is it sounds like the turbos might need a rebuild? if it was my car i would sort that now also, seems mad to fit and map then have to remove them to be repaired later and fit and map again, sorting the head wont be major money if its just a gasket.
The turbos aren't too bad. They'll go to 1.4bar, which will yield 600whp. Thats plenty for me. I've already looked at billet and batmowheel options for the winter overhaul. This was just meant to be a "quick" setup to get me running for the summer then off the road for winter.

Which EXACT HKS turbo kit is this? Do you by any chance have the instructions, in particular how they intended the turbo water cooling pipes to run? I take it these pipes are something Hodge has had made, and not the original HKS supplied ones?

Can I access the ecu map? It's not locked or anything? I don't think there's enough fuel in to fill my fag lighter, so I will have to go out and buy some in the morning :rolleyes:

Which EXACT HKS turbo kit is this? Do you by any chance have the instructions, in particular how they intended the turbo water cooling pipes to run? I take it these pipes are something Hodge has had made, and not the original HKS supplied ones?

Can I access the ecu map? It's not locked or anything? I don't think there's enough fuel in to fill my fag lighter, so I will have to go out and buy some in the morning :rolleyes:

It's the HKS Twin kit with the GT2835's upgraded to the GT3037's.

The pipes that came weren't in the best condition, so we had them made up to look better.

The map should be open, Ryan didn't mention that he'd locked it.

I'm sure the turbos are GT30-37s.

Yeah the map isn't locked just plug the laptop in with the Syvecs software and your off.

Yeah I made the water lines up chris. The car didn't come with any. Intact the kit didn't come with any pipework or fittings.

Feel free to give me a ring anytime mate if you need anything.