The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel swirl pot system designs

johnd-mkiv

I want to build a fuel systen with a swirl pot and larger fuel pump for my track car project, as the fuel seems to slosh about alot and i cant get a bosh 044 in the tank.

Im running around 500bhp at the moment wont be more than 600 Not seen much on these or have much of an idea how they work an explanation, drawings an pictures would be great to help me along

John

• 3 weeks later...

Had a read through CW's setup looks a bit much for my project, I have a walbro in tank pump at the moment can i use this as a feed to the swirl pot then a bosh 044 to feed the rail.

from what i understand

a feed from the walbro in tank pump to the middle of the swirl pot

a take off from the bottom of the tank to the bosh 044 then to the rail

an over flow/ breather top centre back to the tank

a return fuel rail to middle of the pot or back in the tank?

is this correct:help:

in one of the links it gives a swirl pot design of 200mm high 100mm diameter, is this big enough?

How about just take a bottom feed from the tank and mount the pump under the car? thats what SRD is doing with my new fuel setup, keep it simple, he got the idea from the Blitz supra, similar setup on that.

Doing the same JP with a Fuel Cell and same pump as you, BUT the fuel cell is filled with foam so fuel slosh is limited.

Yeah, no swirl pot, tbh on a track car (or road car for that matter) id not want that lot in the boot myself unless you are protected by a sealed firewall.

Yer thats whats worried me about that set up, due to the roll cage design I cant seal the firewall. The tank in the BMW is a saddle type which might be my next problem

Had a read through CW's setup looks a bit much for my project, I have a walbro in tank pump at the moment can i use this as a feed to the swirl pot then a bosh 044 to feed the rail.

from what i understand

a feed from the walbro in tank pump to the middle of the swirl pot

a take off from the bottom of the tank to the bosh 044 then to the rail

an over flow/ breather top centre back to the tank

a return fuel rail to middle of the pot or back in the tank?

is this correct:help:

in one of the links it gives a swirl pot design of 200mm high 100mm diameter, is this big enough?

You need to be sure the main tank lift pump will flow enough to bring the rail return back to the main tank. It helps cool the fuel but it's less risky returning the rail to the swirl pot. I have done dozens of installations, they are quite straightforward, but if you use proper screw on hose fittings on braided lines it gets VERY costly, very quickly. AEM do a really good guide to EFI basics governing injector, hose and pump sizing, although they don't show a swirl pot. I make my own, but it's just because I can put everything exactly where I want it. It's easier just to buy a commercially made alloy one. The size you quote is adequate. Motec's downloadable M8* series ECU owners booklet shows swirl pot schematics. Here's a link to the AEM guide:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/aem.pdf

Here's the Motec user manual:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/m800.pdf

Page 26 shows the schematics.

You need to be sure the main tank lift pump will flow enough to bring the rail return back to the main tank. It helps cool the fuel but it's less risky returning the rail to the swirl pot. I have done dozens of installations, they are quite straightforward, but if you use proper screw on hose fittings on braided lines it gets VERY costly, very quickly. AEM do a really good guide to EFI basics governing injector, hose and pump sizing, although they don't show a swirl pot. I make my own, but it's just because I can put everything exactly where I want it. It's easier just to buy a commercially made alloy one. The size you quote is adequate. Motec's downloadable M8* series ECU owners booklet shows swirl pot schematics. Here's a link to the AEM guide:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/aem.pdf

Here's the Motec user manual:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/m800.pdf

Page 26 shows the schematics.

Cheers Chris

Or do i attach a fitting to the bottom of the tank with an 044 pump like JamieP suggested.

All help much appreciated :thumbs: