The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One-Eyed cars

hogmaw

In the olden days it was very rare to see a car with just one headlight working. Now there are loads, all over the place. In fact I saw one this evening with NO headlights at all, just trundling along in the dark with just his hazards on :blink:

I think these must be cars with no MOT, and therefore no tax, and therefore no insurance, and as such are responsible for the recent record rise in car insurance prices

I've noticed this too. The amount of cars driving around with light faults is unbelievable. I must admit to also thinking there has been a huge increase of it this year.

Spotted 4 cars in a 25 mile drive with bad earths too, as their brake lights were not right (on at the wrong time or off at the wrong time).

I have noticed this too, but put it down to sheer lazy people.

A lot of people assume you have to go to the garage for everything, it is the nation we have become. Back in the days we use to attempt anything ourselves but now everyone goes somewhere to get anything done. More like the American trend we are more & more being the consumer like them.

I drove all the way to thunder road in the pitch black with no rear lights, i wondered why i kept getting flashed, i thought it must have been the flames:D till mark told me my rear lights are out.

did you not see the light on the dash that tells you that a bulb is out?

If you own a Renault I can understand why you might leave it until both bulbs blow:

lol.

nXCZ2v-nIF4

Still amazes me watching how long that takes

I have to say i don't find the renaults that bad. I did however have to do the passenger side of 2 skodas (oktavias i think) lastweek & they were a nightmare, you want to have a little needel arm to get in the space left for you.

In fact I saw one this evening with NO headlights at all, just trundling along in the dark with just his hazards on :blink:

Now *that* is speshal!

Lots of people drive around with front fog lights on when it's not foggy. I sometimes see cars driving on headlights and front fogs with e.g. the driver's headlight out, and the passenger's fog light out.

Rear fog lights when it's not foggy annoys me.

There are loads of very modern cars where changing some bulbs is dealer only unless you are brave and have access to a good tool kit. That plus I am a believer that these gas discharge lights are not as reliable as incandescent bulbs of yore, seems to give this new phenomenon of loads of one eyed cars on the road :) Am I alone in disliking gas discharge headlamps? They seem to almost flicker and are far more annoying than the old types on cars coming towards you.

This annoys the hell out of me and I see it repeatedly everyday on the way to and from work. The most annoying is usually one headlight plus the fog lights on - presumably compensating for the crap lighting.

Are the police able to give any kind of rectification notice? Could potentially make up for some lost speed camera revenue :)

In the olden days it was very rare to see a car with just one headlight working. Now there are loads, all over the place. In fact I saw one this evening with NO headlights at all, just trundling along in the dark with just his hazards on :blink:

I think these must be cars with no MOT, and therefore no tax, and therefore no insurance, and as such are responsible for the recent record rise in car insurance prices

At one time headlights were sealed beam and I suspect less moisture ingress and better filament wire were used , it was rare to replace them unless stone damaged or the reflector coating came off , also just post war around 90% of blokes fixed their own car ,now its nearer 10% , at the same time if you asked a bloke if he could type 30 years ago you would either get a strange look or a slap !! now its the reverse

HID bulbe allegedly last 3000 hrs + , but normal H4 type would be way lower than that .

Years ago blokes had time to fix the car, but now a combination of "no time" and little ability with the added extra of female drivers in abundance some of whom would struggle to open the bonnet - I have seen some women trying to top up the windscreen washer bottle at the motorway services ,and actually filling the brake reservoir

I bet the AA recovery men have a huge amount of headshaking stories !!

I have to admit i'm a bit of a geek i'll regularly go around my car checking the lights haah i've been done for one being out before on the back (even though i had fixed it earlier that day :( ) turned out it was dodgy wiring. The other day however i did see a car with no headlights or sidelights working on his bloomin fog lamps on. In this case the guy must have known he had no lights and was just to lazy to do anything about it.

Lots of people drive around with front fog lights on when it's not foggy. I sometimes see cars driving on headlights and front fogs with e.g. the driver's headlight out, and the passenger's fog light out.

had a merc follow me home the other night with one foglight on, after a while i noticed it had gone out and the other side was on, on watching it further it was some kind of driving light system as they went round corners/roundabouts each side came on as they cornered, most likely common but not noticed it before