The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bubbling paint on bodykit - WTF?!

Crazybassist

Hey guys, I had my supra in the garage the other day to let it dry out and give it a check up and a clean, and after the second night of it being in there the paint on the bodykit suddenly had hundreds of little bubbles on it. The best way of describing it is someone has written a book in brail all over my car! I can only assume the temperature change from being outside has done something to the fibreglass the kit is made of (trapped air or water expanding?). Anyone know what could have caused it, or more importantly, how to prevent it happening again when I repaint it?!

Any comments would be helpful.

Oooh, I'd love to know what it is as I have that all over my car too... And i'm assuming this kind of thing can't be polished out!

Love what you say Abz about a dodgy paint job! Mine was done at a very well known place and I think the quality of the job is shocking to say the least.. Lets put it this way, I think there is only one Lambo orange supra in this club that'll be taking the 'show 'n' shines' this year!

Prob moisture or some form of contaminant reaction mate. Was the surface keyed and prepared properly!? If the car has a number of paint coats you may need to key it back followed by an insulating coat, then primer, then paint!?

But I'm no expert mate - hopefully someone on here has a definitive answer for you.

Sorry mate !

Not your fault dude (well I hope not, unless you painted my car!) Mine really looks like someone flicked a paint brush of something on the bodywork just before the paint went on! Its on both wings, and the rear arches! Not gonna be cheap to respray that! Worst thing is the thing has never been on the bloody road yet! Not even got a single stone chip!

This is very common on Supes. Seen a lot with this, my old NA had them on the back wings when I got it and in extreme cold the blisters would appear. If you pressed them, moisture would come out. In warmer weather they would disappear. Had to have the back wings re-sprayed as it was annoying me...!!

H.

Could this also be a problem in the fibreglass ?

We cooked parts of my kit in the booth and it did exactly the same but only on certain areas, this was after all the previous paint had been stripped so it wasn't down to that.

My alternative to poor paintwork/prep is tiny air bubbles in the resin when the panels were laid up, when it gets hot the trapped air/moisture expands, same would happen in extreme cold as the trapped air/moisture does the same when it freezes.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I had this on my old supe aswel. Happened on the bonnet, roof, rear and front arches. When it was a hot day they almost vanished. But a few bodyshop places said it would have to be stripped right back but they all mentioned moisture aswel.

The annoying this is that it never happened the first winter i had it but the second.

This happened to my front bumper and rear spoiler when I left it covered over one winter outside. When I took the cover off in the spring time the paint was covered in blisters! Loads of patches of tiny bubbles! I had to get it sanded and repainted. Was told it was moisture under the paint!

Oooh, I'd love to know what it is as I have that all over my car too.

The donor car had paint stripper chucked on it i think, its was like the paint had melted off the car when Joe got given the shell, it was a terrible state, id say the metal was still contaminated with paint stripper when it had the respray, it took a few years to come out according to Gamer, KR quoted me £600 to respray both sides but they said it could happen again.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Crappy paint jobs always shows through after winter, when the paint dosent stick properly, condensation gets under there, freezes, expands and creates bubbles, i used redoxide on bare metal but the hammerite didnt stick to it, corner of my roof, pillars and sills need respraying, its gona be that cheap ill just mask and blow over the whole car

The donor car had paint stripper chucked on it i think, its was like the paint had melted off the car when Joe got given the shell, it was a terrible state, id say the metal was still contaminated with paint stripper when it had the respray, it took a few years to come out according to Gamer, KR quoted me £600 to respray both sides but they said it could happen again.

That would explain it, thanks dude... I think it'll be staying as it is then! Looks ok from a distance! I remember where and who had the shell previously. Was it a certain person that 'worked' on the car that chucked the paint stripper over it then?

That would explain it, thanks dude... I think it'll be staying as it is then! Looks ok from a distance! I remember where and who had the shell previously. Was it a certain person that 'worked' on the car that chucked the paint stripper over it then?

I dont know who did it, as you say its not very noticeable, when i was planning to rebuild it i would have had to do it to get top money though.