The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra very dated.....

jazz1

Ok I just saw a bog standard silver supra, which I followed for couple of minutes. It had pre-facelift lights and just looked so dated and faaaat. Maybe it could have been the colour or pre facelifts, but to me it looked very dated and ugly. Anyone else think it could have been the colour or pre facelifts, plus making it look bog standard, that made me think it looked dated?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern cars are generally the ones looking fat and oversized.

The Supra can look quite small in comparison to the usual family hatch-back these days.

The Supra has its place in the books of design history but I think it still looks great in the mix of today's cars. It has classic GT aerodynamic looks about it and non of this hard straight edges trying to mix with curvy parts that seem to be the norm with modern machines.

I would hazard a guess that an 18 year old car is going to look dated compared to the latest designs that we are all used to now.

Put your supra up against the latest Aston or Ferrari and it will look like a Frog Eyed Sprite.

:yeahthat:

Though still a clean example does well in making people believe it is not an 18 year old car.

What Branners said, had mine parked up agaisnt a new aston in the petrol station and it looks dated. Most new cars have angles and stealthy look to them.

Supra is quite a round curvy car. Imo it's about 0.5 ft too long at the back, the headlights, spoiler and rear bumper make them quite dated now. Also the front doesn't look right without a active spoiler. The rear spoiler is what makes the Supra a Supra though! ;)

I've never had anyone say its an ugly car though, usually "ooo pretty!".

There are times I think that the Supra does look dated, but as others have said, it's 18 years old. Look at a Supra from it's side and at a distance, and it still looks fantastic and sleek. I reckon it would only take modern front lights and some modern curves and angled lines to make it look modern.

The outcome would be something like this (but with a better front):

i was in a toyota show room, picking up sme parts last week, and they ahve started to go back to round bubble shapes, so its starting to come back - but as i'm more a nissan boy, i've has 180sx's and 200sx's (s13and s14's) and for cars of the same age, they look a hell of a lot more dated.

What I meant was there are so many prime examples on here that still make the supra look better than modern cars. Maybe the pre- facelifts and silver made it look dated. Suppose it had some rear spats, oem sides, active front and facelift lights it would have looked modern. I mean looking at what I saw today, even in it's modern time 1993, it would have no way appealed to me from the rear. I guess those little changes like facelift lights, colour and touches make a big difference.

I agree, I look at some Supra's and think it does look dated, but then I'll see another one and it looks absolutely fantastic, even today. Like you said, the little details, just a few slight tweeks and it completely transforms the car, since I've had one I've found it a very stranged shaped car, at some angles it looks very odd but then move a few degrees to a different angle and it looks stunning.

I also think a bone stock supra, stock height moreover with stock wheels look way out-dated.

That's good point, when looking at it today the rear was so wide, that the rear wheels and width dissapointed it significantly. It looked like a space ship, on tiny wheels.

Big dissagree. I love the look of mine and plan to keep it stock, with the exception of some new alloys and paint job sometime when I can afford either :(

Yours is not stock, which makes it some what modern with the oem sides and spats.

I know what you mean but you would expect a car of this age to look somewhat dated. Stick a nice set of alloys on that suit the colour and the whole car transforms IMO.Rather than old or outdated I'd say the Supra is one of the most classic looking cars out there.

Do these lines look familiar?