The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fixed my iPhone... and turned it white!

marcAB10

Well.. new years night i managed to drop my phone rather violently onto a cobbled street. :/

attachment.php?attachmentid=125517&d=1295305107

It still worked fine... after most of the shards got stuck in my finger.. but is was ok after that..

So.. since i declined paying the £15 a month insurance (obscene amount imo lol) i decided to fix it myself, I also didn't want to give it to Apple themselfs as it cost a bit more and i didn't want my phone away for a long period of time. Now anyone who owns a 3G/3Gs think yourselfs lucky as it only costs you about £10 to fix a broke screen, i did it to my last one (you'd think i was set on smashing every phone i've owned) as you only need the screen itself... unluckily for the iphone4 users the phones 'LCD digitizer' touch panel is now also needed as it is bonded to the glass so.... around £80 this time for the replacement.

So like the last time, went to ebay and found the kit i needed, went for the white one just for a change. cost is a bit more due to the other parts needed (white home button, frame, back etc) at £129. Have to say the kit is just as good as my 3G one was. here is the kit i bought-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200559208114&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Now for acctually doing it yourself, it does take time and you need patience but if you follow the guide you can't really go wrong, it is very fiddly with the tiny screws and the only thing i was worried about was rounding them off but it was fine. this is the guide i used and it was spot on-

and here's my now unsmashed phone-

attachment.php?attachmentid=125518&d=1295305107

Thought i'd throw this up as i had a lot of people asking on facebook for the details and hopefully it'll help.

-marc-

I wanted to do that as I gave up waiting for the white one to come out, I swapped the housing on a phone before and it didn't work right after - so I chose to do this to be different... :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1364.snc4/163610_10150353529385607_898575606_16223134_5695206_n.jpg

• 4 months later...
Just smashed mine:( seems a load of repair kits on ebay ranging from £14 upwards, any advice on what kit to get? your ebay link does not work anymore.

EDIT, just read that guide, stuff that, i will send it somewhere to be fixed.

got mine fixed at lovefone.com, they sorted it out for me while I waited- took about 45 mins.

they also do a delivery service.

Just smashed mine:( seems a load of repair kits on ebay ranging from £14 upwards, any advice on what kit to get? your ebay link does not work anymore.

Called into apple and they done my one for free mate 15mins, 1 years manufacture warranty on them

I fix them if you want chap, what's wrong? front glass and back glass? digitizer's a pain as it's stuck on. Let me know what it needs or send me a pic of it and i'll do you a quote (hoping this isn't seen as traders! I'm offering this at cost of parts + postage)

But as imi said, there are services that do it. I was just making an offer :) I'd have to order the parts in myself so would be a day or two.

My wife dropped hers the other week, somehow this became my fault, but I managed to do that fix and by god it was a fiddly job. I also snapped one of the little sprung contacts off and had to improvise a dob of solder repair.

She's still not happy as I got superglue on the button thing so now its not smooth any more. I had no sucker to pull the screen off so tried to superglue a tab on the glass screen, it didn't work.

I recently updated the OS on my 3GS and it fell on its face during this. Now it wont restore as it looses USB connection after about 20 secs. have been through every test and piece of software available and nothing works, it cant even be jail broken.. seems the usb controller in firware has been corrupted..thank you apple :(

My wife dropped hers the other week, somehow this became my fault, but I managed to do that fix and by god it was a fiddly job. I also snapped one of the little sprung contacts off and had to improvise a dob of solder repair.

She's still not happy as I got superglue on the button thing so now its not smooth any more. I had no sucker to pull the screen off so tried to superglue a tab on the glass screen, it didn't work.

yep, it is a very fiddly job but simple enough, just keep the small parts organised and it's fine. :)