The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage floor advice

Stonkin

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice as to what product to use on my garage floor. Currently it has a concrete surface that was tampered down. Its flat but not smooth.

I've got a black and grey chequered tile floor with red edging to lay, 1080 tiles in total from http://www.dynotile.co.uk/shop/products.asp?c=1 and currently i dont think they will lay too well, i havent tried but i'm pretty sure it will need to be flatter.

This is what it looks like

And this is the best close up i have of the floor.

I've thought of self levelling compounds but with just checking the coverage per bag i would need a lot, its 100sqm to cover, so wouldnt be to cheap. Also considered rubber matting in large sheets a few mm thick but thats also fairly pricy to cover that area. It would also be nice to reduce any tile tap noise, hence thinking of the rubber matting.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Is it dead level, as any levelling compound will run out if not?

You can get poured rubber flooring, as used in factorys. I'm not in an office anymore, being dole scum, so I can't get you any links or literature, but its the same as leveling compound except rubber of course. Very hard wearing, they run fork lifts over it all day and night and comes in lots of funky colours. It would kill two birds with one stone.

Cheers guys, that sort of thing sounds good Rob.

There is a slight slope to the outside but very minimal, it wasnt hard to stop the concrete from running out when it was being laid put it that way.

Nice one Jamie, hoped you might see this. I'll give you a call today if your free?

You can get super screed self levelling cement, we have used it a few times. Cheap compared to other flooring. Guaranteed level surface to work off its pumped in. Just wondering if a colour additive can be added (maybe if someone could clarify) then you could have a coloured and level floor that will not fade over time. You will probably have to have at least 75mm depth though.

Also if you went the self levelling super screed and could afford to lose around 150-200mm of height (75mm kingspan insulation + underfloor heating pipes + at least 75 mm of screed) you could go for underfloor heating which may help you with the detailing if your garage was kept warm, just a another thought to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update to this as some progress has been made. Kindly, Jamie organised for his friend Darren to come over and we laid a latex self levelling compound over the concrete. Was a nasty job to do as it was so uneven before, but Darren did a great job. I let this fully dry and for the last day and a half i've been laying the dyno tiles. They have gone down great this time compared to when i tried pre latex compound going down. Electrics are also now in as is the main lighting. I will still put a few lights here and there. Time for another lick of paint, then i'll get the storage in, desk area, more pics and banners etc.

What do you think?

From this

To this

Wow, thats amazing! What a difference. Just to ask mate, do you have any links to those tiles, they look great. Looks way cool dude!

Hi mate, the tiles were from http://www.dynotile.co.uk/

I narrowed the search down to 2 companies, Dyno Tile and Dura Garages. Both were pricey for 100 sqm. I'm very happy with what i have, but in my opinion out of the two after having samples from both is that the Dura are better designed and made, will also last longer if they had to be removed and re-layed, but work out to be nearly double the price. These are great though and have achieved exactly what i was after. They will also keep concrete dust at bay, be much easier to clean and act as an insulator aganist a cold floor.