The mkiv Supra Owners Club

s2000 faults???

l33wgn

does anyone have / has had a honda s2000 or just know what usually goes wrong with them?

only asking as someone has asked for a part ex against my supra......

any help would be greatfully recieved thanks lee.

p.s even if i do sell i will be back when i can afford a turbo :)

Nice looking car, I drove a standard one back from Southampton to Devon, just imported and totally standard, in White with black softop and red leather! But, and for me a big but, I hated it. Didn't seem seem to be as fast as my itr and just didn't like the way it drove, and there is no storage inside the car what so ever, only stupid little nets on the side of the transmission tunnel! Anything like a phone or fags just falls straight through, so from my point of view, looks 10/10, performace 6/10, practicality 5/10.

Drive one, see what you think.

Haven't owned one but owned a few Hondas, and as said they are pretty much bullet proof if you service them.

A lot of people don't like vtec on the Honda engines as you need to keep the revs over 5000rpm to get any usable power, but if you are used to driving like that then you'll love it. I had a 4th gen prelude and to really get it to go you had to go up to the rev limit (~8500rpm) before changing gear, otherwise when you change gear you drop below the vtec crossover point. For some people I can see that they wouldn't like to rev it that high all the time, but as I said they are really resilient.

Anyway, if I had the money I'd love to own a S2000, so go for it!

The oil thing is true but only to an degree, maybe a litre to 3000 miles, ive known some not to use any. If you have ever driven a b series Honda there is very little grunt out of vtec and the a massive bang of power when it kicks in. On the s2000 and ctr engines, there is alot more tourqe lower down, so much more usable lower down than the older engines were.

my cuz has one i drove it didn`t feel fast until high in the revs always seems your waiting along time for it to get up and go ..... about the storage there isnt alot but there is a ice hidden storage compartment for a few small things its not all just nets ;) oil usage is true my cuz`s goes through quite abit if reved hard the only prob i had was i felt it to be just a tad small inside

I owned one prior to my current supra. Mine was fine, but there are issues to watch for.

The UK spec ones are obviously exposed to road salt more so than imports, so they tend to go rotten. Honda thought it'd be a good idea to fit rubber lips on the arch lips, these only serve to hold crap between the rubber and the metal, causing patches of rust to appear. I had to remove all the rubber strips, treat the rust and respray, I ended up removing the rear end and sorting out all the rust that had accumulated behind the bumper and trims. My supra on the flip side, although older, had no rust at all. :blink:

They also suffer fron water leaks into the boot. you can't see it on first inspection because the bottom of the boot floor carpet is rubberised which masks the leak. Lifting the carpet revealed a stagnant pool in the well. This is sorted by removing the vent and siliconing the area around it.

The clipers are also renowned for sticking, which 3 of the 4 of mine did within weeks of getting the car. EBC carried out a full refurb for £400 for all 4

Someone has already mentioned the sticking suspension bolts, this is one of the most crucial things to ask for and check when buying. The geo needs setting on the s2000 every 12 months, if not, the car becomes undrivable. The way to keep it good is to have the bolts copperslipped when setting the geo. If this has never been done, expect to fork out for all new arms, which is major spondoolage.

The engines are great, but they're not faultless. They are known to consume serious amounts of oil in varying quantities. It's not so much a problem if you keep an eye on the level, but letting one run dry is obviously catastrophic. The engines are generally known to last around 130k before they die.

The roof mechanism can knock like a bitch, replacing the latches with hardtop latches (yes they work with the soft top) sorts the problem.

Here's my old one once finished.

I owned one prior to my current supra. Mine was fine, but there are issues to watch for.

The UK spec ones are obviously exposed to road salt more so than imports, so they tend to go rotten. Honda thought it'd be a good idea to fit rubber lips on the arch lips, these only serve to hold crap between the rubber and the metal, causing patches of rust to appear. I had to remove all the rubber strips, treat the rust and respray, I ended up removing the rear end and sorting out all the rust that had accumulated behind the bumper and trims. My supra on the flip side, although older, had no rust at all. :blink:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/30112008099.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/30112008098.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/30112008096.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/30112008095.jpg

They also suffer fron water leaks into the boot. you can't see it on first inspection because the bottom of the boot floor carpet is rubberised which masks the leak. Lifting the carpet revealed a stagnant pool in the well. This is sorted by removing the vent and siliconing the area around it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/30112008102.jpg

The clipers are also renowned for sticking, which 3 of the 4 of mine did within weeks of getting the car. EBC carried out a full refurb for £400 for all 4

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/05112008066.jpg

Someone has already mentioned the sticking suspension bolts, this is one of the most crucial things to ask for and check when buying. The geo needs setting on the s2000 every 12 months, if not, the car becomes undrivable. The way to keep it good is to have the bolts copperslipped when setting the geo. If this has never been done, expect to fork out for all new arms, which is major spondoolage.

The engines are great, but they're not faultless. They are known to consume serious amounts of oil in varying quantities. It's not so much a problem if you keep an eye on the level, but letting one run dry is obviously catastrophic. The engines are generally known to last around 130k before they die.

The roof mechanism can knock like a bitch, replacing the latches with hardtop latches (yes they work with the soft top) sorts the problem.

Here's my old one once finished.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jaxdanjo/PA210448.jpg

Thats crazy, the fresh import that i drove home was like new when we put it on the ramp.