The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big singles/fuel systems and static pressure.

hodge

Should my static fuel pressure be set higher than normal 38 psi.

What pressure are you guys running.

My setup is as follows

Bosch 044 pump

-8AN PTFE fuel line

2 x -6AN PTFE fuel lines to rail

Veilside fuel rail

1600cc RC injectors (lo-imp)

Aeromotive FPR

-6AN Line from rail to FPR.

Thanks

John

You've lost me there Johnny.

The current static pressure acconding to the FPR gauge is 50 psi. Wasn't sure if it was a little high.

Don't think there's anything wrong with that mate. 50psi is about 3.4bar. It'll only matter as much once the car is mapped, it's based relative from that IIRC.

The spray, the mist will be finer, smaller atoms and will burn better.

Mmm I must comment :) If you run too high a pressure then you risk disrupting the spray pattern, otherwise I've not heard of a change in spray pattern according to pressure. If it was that sensitive to changes in PSI then we'd all be in trouble, as the FPR increases pressure as boost builds. 1.4bar means a change of over 20psi in fuel pressure from static.

Also it doesn't make the atoms smaller, otherwise you'd get some serious detonation ;) I'm sure you meant "atomisation" :D

If it was that sensitive to changes in PSI then we'd all be in trouble, as the FPR increases pressure as boost builds.

That's a little misleading there though Ian. The pressure drop across the injector stays the same because the outlet is atmanifold boost pressure and the inlet is always at the rail's "static + boost referenced" pressure so irrespective of what boost you see, the pressure drop across the injector is the same.

That's a little misleading there though Ian. The pressure drop across the injector stays the same because the outlet is atmanifold boost pressure and the inlet is always at the rail's "static + boost referenced" pressure so irrespective of what boost you see, the pressure drop across the injector is the same.

Yep, but the fuel spray pattern is still being pushed harder into higher resistance air. The pressure drop stays the same but the forces acting upon both sides increase. If you pushed 1psi one side of a sandwich and 1psi the other, you'd get a differently shaped sandwich than if you then did 50psi one side and 50psi the other, even though the pressure differential stays the same :) So my strained analogy shows that the spray pattern could be affected by rising fuel pressure as boost comes on, if it were indeed affected by increased static pressure as well.

But none of it seems to bother atomisation or spray pattern or whatever anyway. I'm fairly sure that if injector spray patterns varied significantly depending on static pressure you'd see it in the advertising blurb and technical data, and companies would be espousing their market-leading pattern consistencies over class-leading pressure ranges etc.. :shrug: