The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gold Rush - Big Twins

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Mirror polishing the clips :blink: only took 2 hours, ready to be gold plated individually now. Ill do a batch tonight as each one takes ages... i must be mad!!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161253&stc=1&d=1354200613

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161255&stc=1&d=1354200645

It could be madness... but if not it's definitely dedication :thumbs:

Genuinely looking forward to seeing the twins on, think you have it just right with how you have finished the turbos!

It could be madness... but if not it's definitely dedication :thumbs:

Genuinely looking forward to seeing the twins on, think you have it just right with how you have finished the turbos!

Yeah dedicated is what i am then :), ill cancel the nut nut bus.

Yeah i cant wait to see them in the bay! This car has come such a long way in my ownership.

What is the process for the gold plating you do mate!? Interested to know how much effort this really is!:D

Trust me its a mission! ill list the basic sequence- YOU CAN ONLY DIP 1 ITEM AT ONE TIME!

stainless steel

1- Mirror polish item

2- Clean item with liquid.

3- Dry item

4- Activate the item using 9volts and stainless activator

5- Dry item

6- Gold Plate the item using 9.2volts- brush plate or can be dipped- i like brush plating as you can build it thick

7- Dry item

8- Immediately polish item with special 'gold polish'

9- Buff item till it 'sqeeks' and it actually does make a noise.

10- wrap item up or fit it

A chromed item is twice as involved as the chrome needs to be stripped

Trust me its a mission! ill list the basic sequence- YOU CAN ONLY DIP 1 ITEM AT ONE TIME!

stainless steel

1- Mirror polish item

2- Clean item with liquid.

3- Dry item

4- Activate the item using 9volts and stainless activator

5- Dry item

6- Gold Plate the item using 9.2volts- brush plate or can be dipped- i like brush plating as you can build it thick

7- Dry item

8- Immediately polish item with special 'gold polish'

9- Buff item till it 'sqeeks' and it actually does make a noise.

10- wrap item up or fit it

A chromed item is twice as involved as the chrome needs to be stripped

Wow!:faint:

I'll send you a box of jubilees off my car then!?lol! ;)

Got a little bit done in the garage tonight, gave the bay a decent clean and wiped the metal with WD40 ready for the winter.

I took the headlight out to feel where to mark for the intercooler pipe for the twin kit. I have got the hole marked out now and its ready to be drilled/cut out.. prob finish it one evening in the week.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161532&stc=1&d=1354565252

attachment.php?attachmentid=161531&stc=1&d=1354565252

2012-12-03 19.06.51.jpg

2012-12-03 19.07.37.jpg

Finished the oil and waters line fixings today, well they are all painted in HT black paint to match the rest of the fixings under the bonnet.

Im just waiting on clips at arrive then i can start cracking on with getting them bling'd up. Then i can start to arrange dropping it into SRD, maybe couple of weeks if all goes to plan.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161153&stc=1&d=1353937365

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161154&stc=1&d=1353937365

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161155&stc=1&d=1353937365

Liking the look of this new setup, can't wait to see it finished :)

Can I ask where do you get the silver heat protection coverings that are on the pipes ?

Need some for my project I'm doing.

Basically all done now but still got to cut the hole out. Lee is flat out with work and space is very limited inside, so ill drop the car off when he is ready. Not in no rush and its very good to hear he is busy.

Building my doluck replica bonnet now, so thats keeping me very busy

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?281579-Gold-Rush-custom-build-bonnet

• 2 weeks later...
You've done a great job with the bonnet can't wait to see it fitted :)

Back at work on the 2nd, going to try and get the bonnet painted before the weekend. Cant wait. Going to do some other little bits while the cars in the booth.

Been chatting with Lee and im going to go with a aftermarket FPR for when the twins are on, hoping for 650bhp on my setup.... that just leaves me to change box and do head work for BIG power 650+!!

Back at work on the 2nd, going to try and get the bonnet painted before the weekend. Cant wait. Going to do some other little bits while the cars in the booth.

Been chatting with Lee and im going to go with a aftermarket FPR for when the twins are on, hoping for 650bhp on my setup.... that just leaves me to change box and do head work for BIG power 650+!!

What else are you painting while its in?

Also what's the SRD box rated to that your going for?

This is turning out to be an epic build, I love big twins and can't wait till this is finished :thumbs: