The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any model builders on the forum?

Guigsy

Just out of interest.

I made models when I was a kid but gave up as I got older. My dad still makes them some very detailed costing £120+ just for the kits.

When I was out of work I picked up an airfix starter kit which included all you needed. Since then I've made 4 different WWII fighters. a light bomber/fighter. A porche with martini stripes. A merc gt car and a r33 skyline.

This Xmas I got a porche gt car and the widebody castrol supra. My dad also gave me a few he decided not to make. A bigger scale 109. A stealth bomber and a model t ford.

When I was 15, I won the South East region under 18 model aircraft award!! It was through the Air Cadets. Went through a few stages to win the prize. I built a 1:48 scale Buckaneer. I used optical fibres from a toy to illuminate the cockpit instruments. I think it took me around 9 months to build.

I use to scratch build most of the kit as the detail was too poor. Generally wouldn't build less than a 1:48 scale.

Have not done this for many years now but still have all

my airbrushes etc.

If your looking to build high detailed models I would recommend you get books by a man called Verlinden. He published a series of books about scale modelling. He is a god amoungst men when it comes to this stuff. You really need to see what he does to realise how detailed you can go.

http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/verlinden-book-wwii-aircraft-dioramas-vol-ii-item-1446.html

Sorry about not linking this properly but i am using my iPhone which is preventing me from pasting the link into the box.

Have a look around the website for some amazing images.

I think all my aircraft are 1:72 scale so quite tiny the cars are all 1:24 I think. I want to try a 1:20 like my dad builds but they are super expensive and I'm not good enough to do them justice.

My dad has an entire room set up with display cabinets all over the Walls. He airbrushed most of his. Weathers some of them a bit but the cars he doesn't :)

Guigsy,

I have bought and sold a large number of kits in my time. Bit of a part time toy trader. I bought them all of the same bloke who basically studied the real car and then went on to make exact replicas. Incredible detail. He bought white metal kits (super expensive) and plastic. Here are a few examples of his work. Porsche is 1:24 scale Ferraris are 1:43 I believe.

I machined these models from blank casting kits bought from a company called Stuart Models. I`m not sure how long they took to make, paint and assemble. The Beam engine had 79 parts to be machined and the other model had 59 machined parts. Both are driven by model electric motors, so can be seen running. I thought I`d post this up to show a different side to model making:)

I machined these models from blank casting kits bought from a company called Stuart Models. I`m not sure how long they took to make, paint and assemble. The Beam engine had 79 parts to be machined and the other model had 59 machined parts. Both are driven by model electric motors, so can be seen running. I thought I`d post this up to show a different side to model making:)

Nice work, well done.

I used to model way back - I had all sorts of planes hung from my bedroom ceiling when I was a lad. Gave it up until about 4 years ago when I decided I needed something to do in my (early) retirement. Now I build 1/35th British armour, all themed around my old Regiment and the units that served with it.