The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boiler issues

Guest wantthatone

Hold on, wouldn't it use the large water tank in the loft to feed the boiler, or is that already empty.

As above, I'd go with diverter valve, give it a tap.... (That said I'm no plumber and I have stuck a screwdriver into a hot water tank and then in a moment of stupidity, pulled it back out)

Its actually my boiler guys. I dont think the feeds frozen as the cold taps are working okay and all water to the house comes in in one big blue pipe. There is no water tank in the loft, and the vaillant boiler heats hot water as the taps are turned on. The hots taps aren't even giving a drip at the moment.

It maybe the diverter valve as someone suggested, but ive no idea what this looks like!

Its actually my boiler guys. I dont think the feeds frozen as the cold taps are working okay and all water to the house comes in in one big blue pipe. There is no water tank in the loft, and the vaillant boiler heats hot water as the taps are turned on. The hots taps aren't even giving a drip at the moment.

It maybe the diverter valve as someone suggested, but ive no idea what this looks like!

As you say, could be the diverter then if you have cold taps running okay. IIRC it's like a diaphragm which moves when your hot taps are turned on...it's not that uncommon for it to wear out so while it may move, it's not getting quite far enough or with the necessary pressure to engage the hot water?

I'm sure an engineer-type person will be along to help soon. I employ contractors to deal with things for me I'm afraid :D

Mine does the same thing occasionally, a swift tap of the diverter valve with the handle of a screwdriver(while you have a hot tap open) normally sorts it, have a look on the net for your model of boiler and you should find some pictures of parts inside the boiler.

Mine does the same thing occasionally, a swift tap of the diverter valve with the handle of a screwdriver(while you have a hot tap open) normally sorts it, have a look on the net for your model of boiler and you should find some pictures of parts inside the boiler.

I have thought about that but dont fancy ending up with no heating as well as water, tempting though

This happened to my boiler a few weeks back.

The diverter valve may be known as a 3-way valve (radiators/water heating/by-pass) but this was ok. The fault was in the same area though - the diverter/3-way valve actuator which is an electronic device that operates the mechanical valve. Could be worth getting this checked out if you get someone round too.

Hope you get it sorted!

Combi boilers don't have external tanks of any kind, and don't have electric heaters in them. I'd guess the diverter valve (should be located within the boiler casing) is faulty, or if there's a flow of water from the overflow, the safety relief valve will probably be faulty.

Could also be a PCB board, but I would think this unlikely.