The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on a clutch warrenty

johnd-mkiv

I bought the following clutch for my 1jz project

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350360113168&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AGB%3A1123

After less than a 1000 miles the friction plate has decided to weld its self to the flywheel, you will see from the following pics the pressure plate and flywheel have little wear or large heat hot spots where its been driven hard. After running problems with the car have finally been sorted the weather has stopped fun so the car has had loads of time to bed the clutch in. As you can see from the link the clutch kit has a "Torque Capacity: 522 ft/lbs / Clamp Load Increase: 35%" Im now running around 350bhp mark so the clutch should more than cope with this! The reason for buying this clutch was for hard driving not low boost poodling about.

After a long drive home the other day I pull upto a set of traffic lights and the car would not select any gear, once removing the gearbox i found the paddle clutch bonded to the flywheel. I have contacted the company as they offer a warrenty on the clutch told them the above story and showed them the following pictures.

They have now got back to me with the following email.

"I will quote two of the manufactures documented descriptions that matches with your situation. Because no defects are evident in the components the parts cannot be covered under the manufactures defect warranty.

"Overheated Pressure Plate

Related Symptom: Release problems.

Cause: Riding the clutch, defective release system, improper release system adjustment, clutch components unsuited for the torque of a modified engine.

The disc would have burnt and damaged friction material."

"Grooves and Heat Marks

Related Symptoms: Release problems.

Cause: Riding the clutch, defective release system, improper release system adjustment, improper resurfacing of a step/cup flywheel."

What I can do to help you further is if you plan on getting another clutch/flywheel I can get you a discount on it as a courtesy to you. Please let me know."

Just to state the whole release mechanism was brand new travelled free an no binding at all, if I was riding the clutch surely the heat marks would have marked the surface of the flywheel or pressure plate more than the two hot spots. In my eyes the compound of the paddle clutch has failed. Im not happy with a discounted replacement part the flywhel and pressure plate can be reused I think im entitle to a replacement friction plate, whats your opinions???