The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Favourite estate car?

j_jza80

For space, reliability and ease of working on them a Volvo V90. The last of the proper (ie rear wheel drive) Volvo estates.

For performance I suppose one of those Audi twin turbo things, but there's not much load space and my dogs would *ugger it up in a day, or just myself in a week.

For looks the old Lynx Eventer or the Volvo P1800ES from which they copied the styling.

The wife's Stagea RS4 has been 100% reliable, is simply enormous inside, and it's great in the snow, but it drinks fuel and its looks are not those of something that would sit right at Sandringham somehow :)

Surely the "potential" of an estate is how much awkward shaped stuff much it can carry, and how likely it is to get from A to B with minimal hassle and expense?

Choosing an estate car for its looks is like choosing your secretary on the same basis. They might look glamorous but they are probably unfit for their true purpose.

A cold shudder just went down my spine as I realise I am in agreement with CW.

• 4 months later...
I think you're confusing potential with ability. I'm yet to see someone modify an estate to carry more. Some estates are better looking than their saloon counterparts (IE the Volvo V90 is better looking than the saloon equivalent (same goes for V40, V70 etc), Haydns Legacy is better looking than the Saloon, Mitsubishi Galant and various others)

Really? I've seen far more estates modified to carry more than to go fast. It's called a towbar :p

Favourite for me would have to be the original RS2

I'd happily settle for the new Ferrari FF though. :)

Surely the "potential" of an estate is how much awkward shaped stuff much it can carry, and how likely it is to get from A to B with minimal hassle and expense?

Choosing an estate car for its looks is like choosing your secretary on the same basis. They might look glamorous but they are probably unfit for their true purpose.

What if it's intended to be a compromise? I may want a secretary AND a model, but I've only got the budget to run one!