The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Super economical city car?

jonathanc

Ah, the love child of a supercar manufacturer and absurd legislation.

“Mr Ashton, you need to produce excessive carbon designing and building a pointless car to meet our un-thought-out legislation”

“Ok then Brussels, how about this, the cygnet. It will retail at £30,000, so obvious, if someone’s got £30k to blow on a car, they won’t care about the low tax and MPG savings this thing will offer”

What is the point? It surely will only appeal to either nutters or hardcore Aston enthusiasts?

I did hear a rumour they were only selling them to existing Aston customers.

Apparently over half of the buyers of the new One-77 hypercar also bought a Cygnet :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been covered quite a lot already: http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/News/Electric-car-grant-sparks-in-to-life/

The nine cars qualifying are:

Mitsubishi i-MiEV - January 2011

smart fortwo electric drive - January 2011

Peugeot iOn - January 2011

Nissan Leaf - March 2011

Tata Vista - March 2011

Citroen CZero - Early 2011

Vauxhall Ampera - Early 2012

Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid - Early 2012

Chevrolet Volt - Early 2012

The best is the Leaf, the iOn a close second but I bet the Prius will be good too. Haven't driven that yet.

Cheers, Gaz. looking over that now.

I did hear a rumour they were only selling them to existing Aston customers.

Apparently over half of the buyers of the new One-77 hypercar also bought a Cygnet :blink:

Just mental isn't it. I quess if you're spending the money of a one-77, it won't be too hard for the salesman to convince the buyer to part with some pocket change for the Cygnet novelty for the missus :D

Like tyres you can't get anywhere except Merc (£160 each) and 6 spark plugs that have to be iridium!!

Wrong and wrong!

I hate the Fortwos, the diesels get around 65mpg and the petrols around 45mpg.

I have the Smart Roadster Coupe and it will average 48 - 55 mpg. The six plugs for it were under £30, but fitting them is a different matter!

Have you looked at the pic of it ? good bye street cred :D at least the SMART car looks cool, well to me it does, the lupo and other little shopping trolleys scream blue rinse and zero street cred ;)

You instantly sacrifice street cred with any of the ultra high MPG town cars :p Chevrolet Volt looks pretty damn cool.

I have the Smart Roadster Coupe

I know it's your car, but do you like it? I was at Asda a while back doing a shop and when I returned to my supra, there was a chap and his missus getting back into their car (a Smart Roadster). The guy wasn't exactly short, but it looked like a game of twister with them both trying to get themselves and the shopping into the car.

The Polo BlueMotion is exactly the car you need, but it's too expensive for you.

Personally I'd look at the Skoda Fabia TDI. One like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201049374946939/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/price-to/5000/price-from/4000/fuel-type/diesel/model/fabia/make/skoda/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/pe26ea?logcode=p

Have you considered leasing an electric car? £397 per month gets you a Nissan Leaf on a three year PCP deal, only cost a few quid to 'fill up' and will do 100 miles to a charge. More than enough for what you need. Also, congestion charge exempt and free road tax as well.

Hmm, Fabia looks nice. I heard Skoda really improved a lot during recent years. I don't really live anywhere near London so electric car is a bit unnecessary I think although it would be something I might look into in the future.

Didnt think you'd go for the little blue thing :D

If you need extra seats then it rules out the SMART but in my eyes most of the so called town cars look so bloody awful i'd be depressed having to get in one every day.

Isnt the Skoda basically an A3 base same as the Seat Leon and are they any good fuel wise crawling along ? My 1.9 TDi leon wasnt that great unless you were on a run but i admit it did get driven lol

I know it's your car, but do you like it? I was at Asda a while back doing a shop and when I returned to my supra, there was a chap and his missus getting back into their car (a Smart Roadster). The guy wasn't exactly short, but it looked like a game of twister with them both trying to get themselves and the shopping into the car.

It's a low slung car, so like the Supra, it isn't easy to enter/exit with dignity! I've had it 5 1/2 years, it has the same fun factor you use to get with the original Mini or Imp, but faster and more comfy! :-)

Fiesta 1.6tdci, £35 tax and over 60mpg,

207 1.6 HDI £35 tax and over 60mpg

Both within budget, ive been looking myself lately and i think i will be going for one of these two choices in the new year when i sell my 330.

If you mean the newer shaped fiesta (one Ken Block drives around :p) I am kinna interested too... Might have a wee look then. From the way things are atm, diesels are the future :( nearly 1.20/litre for fuel!

Look no further than the Seat Arosa tdi or VW Lupo tdi, cheap tax, epic mpg, 75hp 3 cylinder engine. I had an Arosa a few years back and it was great, I wouldnt mind another now but too expensive for my daily smoker :)

:yeahthat:

Almost 70mpg on a run, £35 a year tax and can be remapped to 100hp. They can look quite nice IMO

Look no further than the Seat Arosa tdi or VW Lupo tdi, cheap tax, epic mpg, 75hp 3 cylinder engine. I had an Arosa a few years back and it was great, I wouldnt mind another now but too expensive for my daily smoker :)

Exactly the car to have , superb torquey engine , cant be beaten

Have you looked at the pic of it ? good bye street cred :D at least the SMART car looks cool, well to me it does, the lupo and other little shopping trolleys scream blue rinse and zero street cred ;)

For sure parked up the lupo/arosa has little street cred , but with a few engine mods at reasonable cost , they make over 200ft lb of torque due to the large piston diameter and the car weights about the same as a wet paper bag

On the road the car punches way above its weight ,as an example I was driving a BMW 850 with a v12 5.0 liter ,an could not catch my lads Arosa until 110 - Thats street cred !!