The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT block

JamieP

WHy not see if Lee will sell you one of the NA blocks he has and just drill and tap in the oil squrters

To much agro, been offered a few complete engines but I only need a block, I'm not in a rush either, this is just a spare.

Still looking for a good block.

I think this all started when a totally untrue rumour went around that BMW were scouring scrap yards for 200,000 mile old 1602 blocks to make their F1 turbo engines from. Quite where it started I don't know, but it became quite a tenacious urban myth. It has been scotched several times by knowledgeable BMW personnel of the period, including Paul Rorsch and Ulrich Baretzky. I myself would always choose a new block or head casting over a used one, given a choice. I don't think any F1, F2, F3, Le Mans Prototype or any other high end engine builder would choose a used block over a new one unless there were casting issues that only came to light after some of usage. Just my tuppence worth :)

I think this all started when a totally untrue rumour went around that BMW were scouring scrap yards for 200,000 mile old 1602 blocks to make their F1 turbo engines from. Quite where it started I don't know, but it became quite a tenacious urban myth. It has been scotched several times by knowledgeable BMW personnel of the period, including Paul Rorsch and Ulrich Baretzky. I myself would always choose a new block or head casting over a used one, given a choice. I don't think any F1, F2, F3, Le Mans Prototype or any other high end engine builder would choose a used block over a new one unless there were casting issues that only came to light after some of usage. Just my tuppence worth :)

The BMW museum at the Nurburgring states that F1 blocks came from high mileage road cars.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.