The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Animal cruelty a sad reality of recession

Terminator

My son was out in the country side teaching his girl friend to drive when they came across a black hold all in the road. They pulled up and saw a dead kitten(run over) about 20 yards from the bag. The bag began moving as they got close to it. They picked up the bag to find another kitten identical to the one dead on the road. The poor little thing was in a sorry state, so they took it to a large local animal sanctuary, where we have bought all our other cats. Unfortunately the centre said they would have to put the kitten down as they are over run with cats being taken to them as people saying they can't afford to keep them. My son agreed to take the kitten if they would give it a health check and any treatment it may need. The poor little thing had a few ticks and fleas. The centre looked after her for a few days while she was cleared of ticks and fleas. Apart from being under weight she was given a clean bill of health.

The centre is very concerned about an explosion in cat numbers as so many owners are failing to get female kittens neutered and are just turning them out on the streets.

Little "Bell" as we have named her, was too young to survive on her own, she would have either been run over or frozen to death, as on the day the temperature range from -4C to to -8C.

Edit just noticed that she still has milk teeth so 7-8 old.

Bell is a long haired tabby, that is skin and bone under her thick coat, but she is eating well and has already found the warmest places to sleep, she has a load purr for such a little scrap. She has just a hint of blue left in her eyes so is an estimated 8-9 weeks old. She has a wonderfully laid back nature so will get on well with the other three rescued cats we have. Last night she cuddled up with our biggest old tom cat Bailey (named after drinking Bailey's out of a glass with his paw). She just loves company. It is hard to believe someone could be so cruel to just throw the two kittens or may be more out of a moving vehicle to let them die.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's horrible, we're overun with dogs in rescue as well so much so we've had to say no to any more coming in, we've got a litter of Husky pups and a litter of Boxer pups in now as well to find homes for - not a good thing to be doing over Christmas we need to check everyone out fully.

She is definitely a cutey though, it's horrible to even consider someone could just 'throw it away' like that. :( We need more charities like Friends of the Animals who offer much reduced neutering costs.

It beggars beleif how anyone can be so cruel to any animals never mind something as defenceless as a kitten. I know some people can't stand cats, but there's a big difference between that and actually being cruel to one. Personally I love cats - we have 2 of them and often remark about how can anyone be cruel to such animals. They really don't ask for much - a bit of food and some company.

People who do this sort of thing just make me really angry.

The centre where we got all our cats, is Woodgreen, they offer 6 weeks free pet insurance and a £25 voucher towards the £45 fee for spaying, when you re home a cat. If people really can't afford to keep an animal, at least take it to one of the charities, if they can't re home it, at least it will be put down humanely, a lot better end than being flung out of a car on to a road. I hope my eldest son does not read about the Husky pups, as he has wanted one for years.

The centre where we got all our cats, is Woodgreen, they offer 6 weeks free pet insurance and a £25 voucher towards the £45 fee for spaying, when you re home a cat. If people really can't afford to keep an animal, at least take it to one of the charities, if they can't re home it, at least it will be put down humanely, a lot better end than being flung out of a car on to a road. I hope my eldest son does not read about the Husky pups, as he has wanted one for years.

http://www.huskiesinneed.co.uk

;)

//edit: actually I haven't put the Husky pups on there yet as we're not getting them until next weekend, we need to keep them in foster for a week to get vaccinations done and assess them.

that looks very much like a Main coon (which are quite expensive cats) with the ear tufts & classic 'm' on the forehead.

if it is, the could end up being a very nice natured (and large) cat

It's appaling that someone can be so cruel.

:yeahthat: was gonna ask you that Jon, if it is a Maine Coon then there might be a breeder nearby from the cat club who could help. Usually worth about £300 those kittens if it's a pedigree Maine Coon

Good work!

I miss having a cat about since moving out, I go home often but generally it's to see the furry lil chap, rub his belly and say "who's got a furry belly then? who? yes yes yes yes, you have". Since their first cat passed away (literally on the day it died) a bedragled cat came into the garden who henceforth became known as George. George had bad teeth and rarely came out from under the shed.

We think he had an owner but by the state of him he was never looked after and was very thin. My mother who is a bit of a cat lady decided he was going to stay. He had one winter hiding under the shed but he has a bit more confidence now, is a healthy weight and had his teeth sorted.

Here he is a few weeks in (his tongue sticks out because of the dental trouble.

Oh, I just thought. Every so often I have a quick "Holly Hedge". This is a localish animal shelter, but! it has a virtual sanctuary with pictures of furry chaps of all sizes!

Improve your day by having a quick holly hedge! Shame I have to travel for work or I would have a bunch myself.

http://www.hollyhedge.org.uk/vas.asp

http://www.hollyhedge.org.uk/homing/FizzC0261-10.jpg http://www.hollyhedge.org.uk/homing/LilyC0292-10.jpg

http://www.hollyhedge.org.uk/homing/FudgeD0197-10.jpg

Maine Coon, never heard of it, until now. Having looked at pictures of Maine Coon kittens on breeders sites, she certainly does look like them. It might explain why she has such large feet and quite a low slung back that tends to go with large cats. She certainly is very laid back, with a delightful nature, which makes understanding why someone would dump her even harder to understand. She is certainly more placid than the other kitten we got about 3 months ago. It makes no difference to us, what ever she is she will be loved here.