The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuition fees - what do you think?

supra_aero

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TonytotheB do you think then that what went on down in London was acceptable? are you in the same camp as them idiots that held the press conference at a London uni?

I saw that, they didn't come over as great future leaders of industry did they ?

I saw that, they didn't come over as great future leaders of industry did they ?

Do you really think that it was 'students' who were causing the problems in London? It was a mob of trouble makers who will be caught on CCTV. There were peaceful protests up and down the country and have been for weeks now.

Do you really think that it was 'students' who were causing the problems in London? It was a mob of trouble makers who will be caught on CCTV. There were peaceful protests up and down the country and have been for weeks now.

Agreed it was a mob but did you see the interview? they would not even say what went on was wrong, in fact they pretty well said it was the police's fault? WTF? I dont recall seeing any police swinging off the union jack at the cenotaph, p****** up Churchills statue, smashing windows at the treasury throwing back pool balls.

DNK burn what place down? and as for p****** up churchills statue.......... You complete tosser you have no respect.

I didnt piss up Churchills statue or burn the place down, the lovely well behaved students were doing that !! the ones your defending !! the same ones that spend most of their grants getting pissed or stoned for most of the week : lmao

I also have plenty of respect so less of the name calling

I think you need to read what i have said? I cant stand students, those that go down there and riot are scum for what they did. I certainly am not defending them one little bit.

This is your quote "I couldnt give a ***** burn the place down and piss up Churchills statue" did you mean something else because if you did you need to be a little clearer.

Going to University isn't the only way of gaining skill's in order to end up with a decent job. I know so many student's who have finished thier courses without a job, so they end up in Mcdonalds etc, which they could have done straight out of school/college.

I went through the education, paying for a masters on the way and i wish i hadn't as i would have been better off going on an apprenatship or something. I couldn't find a job in my field (programming), so I decided to help my dad set up a business and i wish had done it as soon as i left college rather than waste 4 years of my life.

I dont see what all the fuss is about, from what I understand you dont pay it back until you get a job the interest is minimal and if you are not earning a great deal you pay less :search:

exactly, however that doesn't make for interesting news.

I also dont see what the fuss is about.

I dont undersand why everyone should have the RIGHT to go to university. Right to primary and secondary school education I agree with.

Only the ones that DESERVE AND CAPABLE to go to university should be able to (and it seems like there will still be slush funds for scholarships for the able students that are financially struggling).

If everyone has a degree then whats the point in having one, hardly going to help secure a decent job in order to pay back the fees. It like GCSEs, everyone getting A's - so the value of an A is significantly diminished.

Plus, if education is free (or seems free) then students will not take it seriously and I for one am not interested in paying for their 3 years of dossing around at my expense.

Lastly, there are far too many "crappy" universities out there with 1 zillion useless degrees that dont aid the graduate in getting a job and hence fairly pointless.

imi

I dont undersand why everyone should have the RIGHT to go to university. Right to primary and secondary school education I agree with.

Only the ones that DESERVE AND CAPABLE to go to university should be able to (and it seems like there will still be slush funds for scholarships for the able students that are financially struggling).

If everyone has a degree then whats the point in having one, hardly going to help secure a decent job in order to pay back the fees. It like GCSEs, everyone getting A's - so the value of an A is significantly diminished.

Plus, if education is free (or seems free) then students will not take it seriously and I for one am not interested in paying for their 3 years of dossing around at my expense.

Lastly, there are far too many "crappy" universities out there with 1 zillion useless degrees that dont aid the graduate in getting a job and hence fairly pointless.

imi

And finally, we agree on something :D

It's newsworthy for all sorts of reasons, including (a) the fact that one of the big three parties broke their election promise, which (b) alters the political landscape and puts strain on the fledgling coalition and © it's a significant change to the educational system, which means that (d) tens of thousands of potential students are afected, and by extension their families.

A hundred years ago, there was probably the same debate about secondary education. "Educate them up to 11, that's fine, but why should I pay for them to go and learn all that stuff they don't need at secondary school? Who needs to know what a molecule is or what the Holocaust was?" The point being that the distinction between a basic, adequate and further education is a bit of an arbitrary one, and changes with the times.

Many who DESERVE and [are] CAPABLE of going to university now will not go. It's not a simple matter of 'pay for it later', as has already been discussed. Although there will be 'slush funds and scholarships', this will by no means redress what is a fundamental shift in policy.

For a start off, not everyone gets As at GCSE. The cachet of having a degree does diminish as more people have one - but only if you look at it as something to give you a competitive edge. I'm guessing that you have maths GCSE - is that less useful to you because most people have got the same? You still have the mathematical skills that you acquired as a result of taking the course to a certain standard.

Plus, if education is free (or seems free) then students will not take it seriously and I for one am not interested in paying for their 3 years of dossing around at my expense

Massive over-generalisation. I didn't pay a dime for my degree, and I did take it seriously. I'm also surprised that you of all people are so willing to accept the ill-informed stereotype of university being three years 'dossing around'. Of course, everyone knows a bunch of lazy students - just like most people have encountered a policeman drunk on power, a left-wing teacher, a boring accountant and so on.

I can understand you not wanting to pay for it, but as pointed out elsewhere in ths thread, that's one of the things about living in a society comprised of people with different priorities to yourself. You end up paying for things that are of no interest to you. The solution is to live in a hut in the forest on your own.

imi

That equates education with utility, but education adds to society in a way that is independent of economic success. I dare say you've educated yourself on lots of topics, and you show it on here by contributing different political and cultural perspectives. In doing so, you benefit from reading stuff written by people who have formally studied history, politics, international relations and so on. There's a good reason why repressive regimes (and I'm not making reference to the UK here) always target academics and universities - because they are the ones who challenge the staus quo, cut throught the rhetoric and bring a more informed perspective to the table.

Another extreme example is the Taliban, who don't want women educated, so they can keep them living in a post medieval, male dominated tyrannical state. I have young friends prepared to be killed out there to give the non Taliban followers a chance of a life without total domination through fear. Another was the Pol pot regiem, any one with glasses was a target, because if they had glasses they could read, so this was an outward sign of intellect. The Russian camps were full of academics.

It's newsworthy for all sorts of reasons, including (a) the fact that one of the big three parties broke their election promise, which (b) alters the political landscape and puts strain on the fledgling coalition and © it's a significant change to the educational system, which means that (d) tens of thousands of potential students are afected, and by extension their families.

As far as I am ware the lib dems are not in power, its a coalition and hence they have had to do a U-turn on THEIR partie's "promise".

so still dont see what the big fuss is about, tough times and tough measures required, this is one of them.

A hundred years ago, there was probably the same debate about secondary education. "Educate them up to 11, that's fine, but why should I pay for them to go and learn all that stuff they don't need at secondary school? Who needs to know what a molecule is or what the Holocaust was?" The point being that the distinction between a basic, adequate and further education is a bit of an arbitrary one, and changes with the times.

Many who DESERVE and [are] CAPABLE of going to university now will not go. It's not a simple matter of 'pay for it later', as has already been discussed. Although there will be 'slush funds and scholarships', this will by no means redress what is a fundamental shift in policy.

For a start off, not everyone gets As at GCSE. The cachet of having a degree does diminish as more people have one - but only if you look at it as something to give you a competitive edge. I'm guessing that you have maths GCSE - is that less useful to you because most people have got the same? You still have the mathematical skills that you acquired as a result of taking the course to a certain standard.

Massive over-generalisation. I didn't pay a dime for my degree, and I did take it seriously. I'm also surprised that you of all people are so willing to accept the ill-informed stereotype of university being three years 'dossing around'. Of course, everyone knows a bunch of lazy students - just like most people have encountered a policeman drunk on power, a left-wing teacher, a boring accountant and so on.

I can understand you not wanting to pay for it, but as pointed out elsewhere in ths thread, that's one of the things about living in a society comprised of people with different priorities to yourself. You end up paying for things that are of no interest to you. The solution is to live in a hut in the forest on your own.

That equates education with utility, but education adds to society in a way that is independent of economic success. I dare say you've educated yourself on lots of topics, and you show it on here by contributing different political and cultural perspectives. In doing so, you benefit from reading stuff written by people who have formally studied history, politics, international relations and so on. There's a good reason why repressive regimes (and I'm not making reference to the UK here) always target academics and universities - because they are the ones who challenge the staus quo, cut throught the rhetoric and bring a more informed perspective to the table.

Good post:thumbs: