The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuition fees - what do you think?

supra_aero

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thera are only a handfull of uni,s charging £9000 most are £6000 which is still heavily subsidised by the government/us, They don,t pay anything back until they have finished and are earning at least £21.000 and at the level there is no interest to pay,at £30.000 it works out at £60 a month with very little interest to pay.

The young people have a choice go to uni and have the chance of a degree and a higher earning threshold and pay back the uni fee,s over a period.

Or don,t go to uni and work for someone and earn £12.000 to £18.000 go figure.

I think this is a good thing and it will open opportunitys for more young people, and as it is "THERE" money so they may work harder at it

There is always the Open University option - I haven't checked, but I bet they aren't charging £9000 per year, and lets face it, if you really want to learn, learning for yourself is usually the best way. Sitting in lectures generally doesn't make information sink in.

There is always the Open University option - I haven't checked, but I bet they aren't charging £9000 per year, and lets face it, if you really want to learn, learning for yourself is usually the best way. Sitting in lectures generally doesn't make information sink in.

That's it though, many of them just want a three or four year p*ss up with their mates, it's not about learning for those sort.

If it is all about a return on investment , and anyone can borrow money to fund tuition , then charge kids for primary education and secondary education as a loan ,after all they have their whole life to pay it back ,that would save some tax ,a proper Tory policy. If its about higher learning ,then let it be higher ,and free ,and useful , seems that these 3 criteria are all being eroded .

If wages are linked to higher learning and ability ,then I know plenty of people who should be destitute ...

Basic education is a right that the tax payer should fund, any forms of further education are a choice and should be paid for by the individual.

From what I've heard they borrow up to 9K and only pay it back when they are earning 21K or more, then if it's not paid off in 30 years they get it written off............don't seem a bad deal to me?

Many say they won't be able to afford it yet they will all go out and get credit on a car, mortgages etc. once they get a job, at least paying back some towards their education will teach them about getting their priorities right.

They want something for nothing despite never having contributed to the system.......parasites imo

My Dad worked from 14-65 paying into the pot. His contributions to the state put me through uni. Now I'm a taxpayer, and my contributions will put someone else through the system. They're not my kids, but that doesn't bother me. I pay my taxes towards lots of things I don't see any return on: other people's child care, paying for smokers who got lung cancer despite knowing the risks, unemployment benefit, pensioners' heating allowance, and so on.

My Dad worked from 14-65 paying into the pot. His contributions to the state put me through uni. Now I'm a taxpayer, and my contributions will put someone else through the system. They're not my kids, but that doesn't bother me. I pay my taxes towards lots of things I don't see any return on: other people's child care, paying for smokers who got lung cancer despite knowing the risks, unemployment benefit, pensioners' heating allowance, and so on.

My parents and grandparents worked and contributed too, I'm a tax payer also yet i don't see further education being at the top of the list as far as priorities go. Unemployment benefit you might need one day, I've needed it once or twice for short periods, pensioner's heating allowance is a small return for what they've paid in over the years and nobody can begrudge them that.

I know, cut back on all the immigration with those whose parents/grandparents haven't paid into the system and give that money saved to fund the students..... sorted :D

Again, I don't see the problem:

From what I've heard they borrow up to 9K and only pay it back when they are earning 21K or more, then if it's not paid off in 30 years they get it written off............don't seem a bad deal to me?

My parents and grandparents worked and contributed too, I'm a tax payer also yet i don't see further education being at the top of the list as far as priorities go. Unemployment benefit you might need one day, I've needed it once or twice for short periods, pensioner's heating allowance is a small return for what they've paid in over the years and nobody can begrudge them that.

I know, cut back on all the immigration with those whose parents/grandparents haven't paid into the system and give that money saved to fund the students..... sorted :D

I certainly wouldn't begrudge the pensioners their heating, and I wouldn't put tuition fees at the top of the list of priorities. But I think there's a danger of just picking the things that we can relate to as being 'worthy'. If you hadn't had to make use of unemployment benefit, I wonder if you would have added that to your list of things you shouldn't be expected to pay for?

I know that there are loads of things I pay taxes for which as far as I'm concerned are a total waste of money. But that's part of being part of society, isn't it? You pay for my subsidised ballet, I pay for your community arts project, he pays for her childcare allowance, she pays for his adult literacy class. I also don't mind shelling out more now that I earn more. Just seems fair do s to me.

Can you just answer this though as I don't see what the real hardship is if they are genuine about the reasons for going to Uni.

They borrow up to 9K and only pay it back when they are earning 21K or more, then if it's not paid off in 30 years they get it written off............don't seem a bad deal to me?

Agree with Tannhauser and Terminator.

This is basically the Tories doing what they've always done. Looking after the middle and upper classes and $#@!ing over everyone else. They only want the 'right sort of people' to get an education.

What and I suppose Labour was there for the working classes, they shafted all of us good and proper, don't let your class hatred cloud your judgement. Labour shafted you more than you think.

Can you just answer this though as I don't see what the real hardship is if they are genuine about the reasons for going to Uni.

They borrow up to 9K and only pay it back when they are earning 21K or more, then if it's not paid off in 30 years they get it written off............don't seem a bad deal to me?

Sorry, missed that. That would be 9K per year (only for some unis,of course), so 27K for a three year course. That's without living costs over the course of the degree, let's say 3 X 7k= 21K. Of course, you'd have to pay the latter out anyway, but whilst studying, you're restricted to low paid jobs that won't stop debt accumulating. 21K to pay off regardless of your earnings, and if you get up to the average UK wage (?), another 27K on top. 48K to pay off starts to sound like a substantial amount. I agree, as loans go, it could certainly be worse.

What and I suppose Labour was there for the working classes, they shafted all of us good and proper, don't let your class hatred cloud your judgement. Labour shafted you more than you think.

Except they didn't. Over the last ten-twelve years we've noticed no real change in our lifestyle except when one of us has a change in income.

FWIW I don't support any political party although I don't support some more than others.

Wrong. If you allow a Uni to charge up to 9k, why wouldn't they?

[9k + 4k to live + 1k (hardship) ]* 4 = 56k after 4 years :(

And that's my problem ? Can't afford it or lack confidence in getting a job that will allow you to pay it back then don't go to Uni, simple as that.

Me ....... Aston Martin = 100 odd grand, I can't afford, I don't get.

And that's my problem ? Can't afford it or lack confidence in getting a job that will allow you to pay it back then don't go to Uni, simple as that.

Me ....... Aston Martin = 100 odd grand, I can't afford, I don't get.

Who said it was your problem bro? I am confused as to why it would affect you? My "wrong" related to the thread question

I think the point is that it makes it HARDER for students from poorer backgrounds to go to Uni. Uni is not the be-all-and-end-all of getting a decent job, but it helps. Then again in Sept 2009 there was 1 job to 75 grads. I was lucky as I graduated in 2006

So, explain why it is YOUR problem again?

Also, they don't borrow up to 9k. Hard up students borrow 9k + living allowance + hardship x number of years - hence my calculation. Even for my fours year course I had to borrow £24k = £6k for four years. I pay £225 normally and around £600 when I get my Nov bonus. That's a lot each year

Would you want a 56k debt as soon as you come out only to get a

Plus your anology is flawed. An Aston Martin is a toy. A job means you can live and be happy. Are you seriously comparing a sports car with a bloody education? Wow

I'm comparing a sports car to further education, both are not a necessity and yet they are decisions that 'adults' may choose to make.

Leave school and the basic education system and the rest of your life is your choice be it getting a great big mortgage, a flash car or going to Uni, if you decide you can't afford it then so be it.

Also I think that you've answered alot with 'only to get a

Who said it was your problem bro? I am confused as to why it would affect you? My "wrong" related to the thread question

I think the point is that it makes it HARDER for students from poorer backgrounds to go to Uni. Uni is not the be-all-and-end-all of getting a decent job, but it helps. Then again in Sept 2009 there was 1 job to 75 grads. I was lucky as I graduated in 2006

So, explain why it is YOUR problem again?

Also, they don't borrow up to 9k. Hard up students borrow 9k + living allowance + hardship x number of years - hence my calculation. Even for my fours year course I had to borrow £24k = £6k for four years. I pay £225 normally and around £600 when I get my Nov bonus. That's a lot each year

Would you want a 56k debt as soon as you come out only to get a

Plus your anology is flawed. An Aston Martin is a toy. A job means you can live and be happy. Are you seriously comparing a sports car with a bloody education? Wow

this bit i don,t get. surely it will make the poorer people have a better chance at going to uni is it not then that loans will only be paid back if people earn enough.

don,t need a degree to work that one out

I'm comparing a sports car to further education, both are not a necessity and yet they are decisions that 'adults' may choose to make.

Leave school and the basic education system and the rest of your life is your choice be it getting a great big mortgage, a flash car or going to Uni, if you decide you can't afford it then so be it.

Also I think that you've answered alot with 'only to get a

Agreed that Further Education isn't a necessity but it's not even in the same league as a blinkin' Sports Car! Surely you see that?

And the A story from 2005

this bit i don,t get. surely it will make the poorer people have a better chance at going to uni is it not then that loans will only be paid back if people earn enough.

don,t need a degree to work that one out

So, just to be clear, you are saying that charging MORE will it EASIER for POORER students? Your opinions are hard to understand but wow. You may wish to look here

Your comments seem to be those from people who never went to Uni - for any reason - and don't really understand what it takes to go through a degree. Employers view Further Education as an ability to commit and become self sufficient. Most Uni courses rely on you studying independently and unlike GCSE, you are not spoon fed. A degree usually culminates in some kind of project that requires you to research, devise, complete and then present data on a project. This then relates to being self sufficient in a job.

If your comments made any sense, hundreds of people would NOT have gone to London or protested around the country and it would not have been on the news for the past two weeks or so.

Anyway, your lack of forum etiquette and poor use of grammar is frustrating. So feel free to reply but I can't be bothered reading it

but anyone can now afford to go to uni as you do not actualy have to pay it off untill you start earning a good wage and then only paying it back in small amounts, is it not that simple does that not give students more of a choice, or do you believe they should be educated to degree levels at the cost of the already heavily burdened tax payer