The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should I replace stock for these? - ARP head bolts and con rod bolt?

mwilkinson

I am in the process of doing an engine refresh. The engine is being completely removed and rebuilt but will remain predominantly stock.

I have no major power ambitions other than possibly one day to run a max of 600 bhp, but no time soon.

I will be fitting new oil pump, water pump etc.. I will also be installing a set of 264 cams, larger injectors and a set of CR reburb turbos. Thus a BPU+ modified state.

While I am rebuilding the block I was going to replace the head bolts with ARP ones and I had also thought to replace the con rod bolts for ARP ones too.

I have read a few threads and one suggested that the con rod bolts would only need to be uprated if the engine were to run higher than stock rpm. I have no intention of doing this at this stage so would this be worth while or overkill? Alternatively is this a good bit of future proofing?

Any input would be gratefully received.

I agree with Jamie; ARP are the best unless you go with Oliver rods and the 7/16" bolts that they come with.

ARP L19 or 2000 rod bolts are very high end but for all we know, the stock ones are as good or better. They're obviously capable of staying put at 7k+ rpm.

Examine your rod bearings carefully and if there's no sign of stretching (uneven wear on the rod cap bearings) then keep them stock.

Some would say that you must replace the bolts with every tear down, as they'll stretch over time but if it was me, I'd buy new Carillo or similar 'H Beam' rods while I have the chance and use the included ARP's and their grease and torquing instructions.

As for head bolts, get some ARP head studs instead. Studs are always better than bolts if you can use them, as the top threads are finer and you'll get much more accurate torque readings and consistency across the head. Also, studs don't wear the block threads and don't risk stripping them. You'll need to grease and install some of the hardened stud nut washers before fitting the head though, as they won't go on with the head in place.

Fwiw, have a look at these.......

PO5vt3QMX1w

_MsqA-C3vGI

13gGQC5fha8

VGup8ABckrw

Edited by Morpheus
added related videos (see edit history)

There is a spec in the engine manual for head bolts - you measure their diameter and if within spec they haven't stretched too far and you can re-use them. Having said that if going to the trouble of rebuilding I'd probably change them anyway. The ARP studs are cheaper than the stock ones, so if you are going to change them you may as well use them.