The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Android Phone Information

JustGav

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good things about the San Francisco, looks like a great PAYG phone. As a budget Android phone the HTC Wildfire is also very nice and I've had a play around with one at the weekend, very nicely built feels very solid and responsive... but the screen is a tad small for a touchscreen IMO.

On the other end of the scale I was tempted by a HTC Desire HD in the new year when I upgrade... but the screen is a bit too big!

So I am tempted by the Nexus S, but it's not a whole lot different from the Galaxy S. Being an official "Google Experience" phone it should get the latest updates quicker, but the Samsung phones don't seem to have the developer community that HTC phones have, maybe that will change with this.

I'm also wary of another Samsung phone, I have the original Galaxy i7500 and Samsung are notoriously quick to drop support for older phones in favour of bringing out new ones instead.

Decisions, decisions. It will unquestionably be another Android phone I get though.

I agree 100% with gav.

The iphone4 is a fantastic looking phone.... but it is let down by ... errrm apple.

I like a phone where I plug it in, drag and drop and go, same as gav. I despise Itunes and hate the way you can only do anything through apple software.

I am actually getting an Iphone4 from work in the next week or so and I will be able to compare them quite well to the galaxy S running 2.2 as the missus has one of them..(now rooted and clocked).... (unless I ask him for a galaxy S first! :))

So I am tempted by the Nexus S, but it's not a whole lot different from the Galaxy S. Being an official "Google Experience" phone it should get the latest updates quicker, but the Samsung phones don't seem to have the developer community that HTC phones have, maybe that will change with this.

Have a butchers on Xda forums. well supported over there!

Have a butchers on Xda forums. well supported over there!

The Galaxy S certainly seems to be, which bodes well for the Nexus S.

The concern is still over Samsung though IMO. When newer versions of Android come out which require a newer kernel version, if Samsung don't release drivers for that kernel version then the developer community is pretty much screwed. They do seem to be getting better though.

It's going to be February before I upgrade, so there'll probably be even more phone out to choose from then anyway!

I have had Android since the Google G1. Epic OS that has only got better. Few bugs when it first started but now I have the Samsung Galaxy S with Froyo 2.2. I have flashed a custom ROM (easiest thing in the world to do with XDA forum help), have superuser/root and can overclock on CPU from 1.0GHz to 1.2GHz. Kills battery but hey!

I also have a 3GS through work, so I carry both large phones around. The SGS is much lighter, has an AMOLED screen and looks and feels better when wandering around the OS. Screen is actually bigger than the 3GS? As with any Android phone, get a decent app killer to remove unwanted programs from memory and it runs smooth.

Camera doesn't have a flash but takes awesome videos in daytime.

Wallpapers are LIVE! I have the spinning globe with realtime weather updates and moon :)

Email is easy to setup

Music is easy to transfer and play - there is even an app for changing EQ settings (Power MP3 or something)

GoogleMaps has navigation and street view

DynoMaster uses GPS to dyno your car - not great but fun

Angrybirds looks awesome on the larger screen

Tethering requires only the PDANet app - not a subscription each month like Apple phones

You can remotely control your TV from the phone

You can control the phone from a PC anywhere

Android > Apple

The Galaxy S certainly seems to be, which bodes well for the Nexus S.

The concern is still over Samsung though IMO. When newer versions of Android come out which require a newer kernel version, if Samsung don't release drivers for that kernel version then the developer community is pretty much screwed. They do seem to be getting better though.

It's going to be February before I upgrade, so there'll probably be even more phone out to choose from then anyway!

Is the Desire running HD firmware not an option for you? The hardware in the phone is physically capable of running it (I tried it for a week or so) and everything runs swimmingly.

The only reason I changed back was that they hadn't ported the camera so you couldn't use it. As far as I know this is either fixed or a fix is on the way VERY soon.

And you will save on battery life.

Android is VERY clever with its memory use Tony, don't f**k with it :D

Really? I must keep up to date more then! I use them religiously.

I have the lagfix thingy too, so will uninstall them now and see what happens. I think my battery is caput anyway with OC'ing the CPU (that sounds well geeky bruv)

What HOME app do people use? Normal? LauncherPro??

Really? I must keep up to date more then! I use them religiously.

I have the lagfix thingy too, so will uninstall them now and see what happens. I think my battery is caput anyway with OC'ing the CPU (that sounds well geeky bruv)

What HOME app do people use? Normal? LauncherPro??

Mine is OC'd with a custom radio and custom firmware and the battery lasts WAY longer than it did when I first got it. I can't remember the name of the Radio but I'm sure it was it that made all the difference.

I just use the normal home screen, I did try the LauncherPro but as I was so used to the normal one it didn't feel right to me so I just took it off.

That HTC Evo 4G beast.

US only I believe those, use 4G/HSPA+ networks which we don't have over here yet.

I guess DesireHD would be European equivalent?

As above, BUT I'll ask one of the guys who works in the states, and he is ubber techy so could give a decent overview of it. I'll get him to do the incredible (as he has one) as well. (he used to build his own ROMS for his hero, and was heavily involved with the original overclocking of it)