The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What track car?

caliAl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They handle like a dream, are relatively easy to work on, there's a vast aftermarket of tuning bits and a plentiful supply of cheap used repair bits. You can have a lot of fun seeing how fast you can drive a milk float down an icy hill.... :) For the budget it would probably be my choice if I was buying something that wasn't a basic single seater. Spare shell, too. Only caveat is could it be registered as road car again easily, as I think the original poster wanted to drive it to and fro track days?

This crack of driving a car to and from the track and hoping to wring the nuts off it somewhere in between.

It's not the ideal situation really, is it?

I mean all going well the car SHOULD look and drive exactly the same way leaving the track as it did when it arrived. But the idea of track time is to find the limitations of both yourself and the car in relative safety. When you have half your brain telling you that this car needs to get you home later that same day I think it would dilute the thrill of having all the necessary ingredients at your disposal to really experience driving as it should be.

I know for me a track car is only complete when it comes with a trailer to take it home at the end of the day.

If its still in one piece, all the better.

If not, then so be it. At least you learnt something new and you probably have a good story to tell.

I agree entirely buy not everyone can afford a trailer, or has the space for one, or maybe the local bye laws prevent parking a trailer on the drive (a pal moved into a new build only to find his caravan was not going to be allowed to be parked on his drive...). In maybe 250 odd track days I have perhaps driven a car there 1/3 of those times, so say 80 odd times. Of those only once have I not been able to drive home (RX-7 blew its turbos at Oulton), and I had to pay to have it transported home. I also put my Skyline into the barriers at Oulton about 2 or 3 years ago, but I did manage to drive it back home, looking very secondhand. There's a certain ease in just jumping in a car with a small hand held toolbox, 4 x 25 litre drums of fuel, your helmet and some cash. Getting a trailer out, loading and unloading a trailer twice, and putting it away again can be a chore.