The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What track car?

caliAl

Is the handling going to be an issue on a NA supra?

NA supras are great fun on track but they are heavy, I used my NA auto on track a few times at Brands and Silverstone and still had a great time.

If you want a road legal track car I would look at something like an MX5, almost perfect 50/50 balance, light means it will be easy on the brakes, small wheels for cheap tires and an NA lump that shouldnt require too much to keep it going. It wont be the fastest but trackdays are about fun and to be honest I would have fun on track in pretty much any old shed :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve not driven a RWD car before (the shock)…..will I be missing out on the fun by going FWD or 4WD?

I wouldnt bother with FWD for track, RWD or 4WD. Since you are new to RWD maybe some airfield days would be best to start with as they tend to have a much larger run off, I would also invest in some driver tuition which is offered at most trackday events, a couple of hours tuition is worth thousands of pounds in performance mods ;)

The sole reason of getting this is to have fun, but at the same time I don't want have the slowest car there. Also must be road legal as my drive does not have the space for a trailer.

I want to keep running cost to a minimum. I'm well aware that this is an expensive hobby but evo's and Impreza's seem like they could be money pits, so I think I’ll stay away from them.

MR2 is not something I've considered.....NA or Turbo?

Heard good things about the MX5 and everyone sings their praises on pistonheads so another car to consider.

MR2 Turbos are great fun on track but can be twitchy on the limit. Always found mine very good tho, few basic mods and your pushing 280 - 300. reliable as well if you get a good one.

Mine was a rev 2 and really used to rocket out of the corners. just did the basics, decat, intake, exhaust, EBC @1 bar and fitted a ST205 GT4 chargecooler setup.

little rocket, never once went wrong.

When I was thinking about this (not that I ever actually did anything about it :)), I started off with all sorts of expensive ideas about fast cars... then I realised that they'd be wasted on me anyway.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that I should just buy a cheap BMW E36 or Peugeot 306 GTi, do a few track days, and if I decided to stick with it I'd spend some money on mods.

MR2 turbo and give to Nur motorsport to get it tack ready, He is making a widebody kit now, he makes it from wood and fibreglass then makes a mould to do it all in carbon, this one he is building now, granted might take you over the 5k budget but you dont have to do it all at once.

http://www.nur-motorsport.co.uk/Toyota%20MR2.htm

The puma rwd cossie is gonna be a track tool also :)

It's rebirth as a 1JZ powered, I.T.C.C. contender is being tackled at this very moment Si.

Or at least it will be when I warm up enough to go back out to the workshop!

I'm going to look for a set of heated spanners I think.

Or 1jz if you`re upto it yeh, now thats an idea with the heated tools, i`d buy a set:)

I think I'm going to get out there and test drive both the DC2 and the MX5. Both look like safe bets if I can source a good one.

Anyone owned a 200SX before?

I had an s14a and took it for a track day at brands once. I thought it was a brilliant track car. coilovers and decent tyres and it handled great. Highly recommend! And correct me if I'm wrong but dont they only weigh 1200 or 1400kgs?

Edit: 1265kg from Parkers.co.uk

For now I've got an old 306 xsi that I bought for £250 from an insurance place and have lots of fun driving it around the track. Highly recommend for a bit of fun. I do regret not waiting for a gti-6 though as there alot faster!

I had an s14a and took it for a track day at brands once. I thought it was a brilliant track car. coilovers and decent tyres and it handled great. Highly recommend! And correct me if I'm wrong but dont they only weigh 1200 or 1400kgs?

Edit: 1265kg from Parkers.co.uk

For now I've got an old 306 xsi that I bought for £250 from an insurance place and have lots of fun driving it around the track. Highly recommend for a bit of fun. I do regret not waiting for a gti-6 though as there alot faster!

i agree the gti 6 would be an excellent choice however between the S14 and DC2 i would personally go for a DC2.

How comes? (I dont know anything about the DC2)

In the standard forms my reasons for liking the DC2 is that i feel the engine is more 'rev happy' the car is lighter, has persice handling and you feel more involved in driving it. In their standard form the DC2 is a little faster 0-60 although the S14 makes up for the lost 10ths higher up, plus the DC2 is cheaper to run with the fuel going up every week that would be my choice.

However having said this the S14 is a lot more tunable if you want to go down the modding route in the future.

In the standard forms my reasons for liking the DC2 is that i feel the engine is more 'rev happy' the car is lighter, has persice handling and you feel more involved in driving it. In their standard form the DC2 is a little faster 0-60 although the S14 makes up for the lost 10ths higher up, plus the DC2 is cheaper to run with the fuel going up every week that would be my choice.

However having said this the S14 is a lot more tunable if you want to go down the modding route in the future.

I see, yes my 200 wasn't too good in standard form I didnt think. But stage 1 (280ish bhp), coilovers and wheels, it was a totally different animal.

I think I'm going to get out there and test drive both the DC2 and the MX5. Both look like safe bets if I can source a good one.

Anyone owned a 200SX before?

yup 3 of them

great cars, well balanced, very predictable (when sideways) unlike the mr2!

as someone has said around 1200kg and 300 is easily achievable, stripped and they are very fast.

theres a lovely S14 on DW at the moment with many mods such as a cage, he's set it up for drifting but you can adjust for more grip he also says around 300bhp @ 1.0 bar

with 2 set of rims all for £4k

im very tempted myself