The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What track car?

caliAl

With my limited budget I’ve narrowed my options down to two cars, the Honda Integra Type R DC2 and the Nissan 200SX S13/S14/S14a. I’ve never driven either so your input would be appreciated. Here’s the pro’s I think each car has.

Integra

Purpose built and ready to go?

Reliable

200SX

RWD

Easier and cheaper to get performance gains

What do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah definatly. If 5k is your budget I'd say;

2.5k on the car (recession is your friend!) get an sti

Get an oil cooler

Service it

Join a impreza forum and source some brembo's.

Strip the car out of everything you don't need .

Get a free flowing exhaust and a boost contoller

And if there's any cash left get some tyres!

A stock Integra will make a better track car than a stock Impreza. The running costs will also be much cheaper. An Impreza will wear down full sets of tyres quickly (all 4 of which MUST be changed at the same time), where as the Integra has smaller (cheaper) tyres and should only go through fronts regularly. The integra will be better on fuel and brakes too, while being every bit as quick as an STI.

I'd suggest trying both, but the Integra would definately be my choice from the two.

I'd also look at Turbo or Supercharged Mazda MX5s (there's plenty around for that budget)

I'd quite like a Volvo 480 Turbo track car :D

There was a chap who kept bringing a Volvo prepared racing 480 2.0 NA to track days at Elvington, and they were quicker than most other things.

wA stock Integra will make a better track car than an Impreza. The running costs will also be much cheaper. An Impreza will wear down full sets of tyres quickly (all 4 of which MUST be changed at the same time), where as the Integra has smaller (cheaper) tyres and should only go through fronts regularly. The integra will be better on fuel and brakes too, while being every bit as quick as an STI.

Any turbo car have higher running costs than an NA but the integra will not be as quick as an impreza.not sure on the power of an integra but i know they aren't 330bhp!

Any turbo car have higher running costs than an NA but the integra will not be as quick as an impreza.not sure on the power of an integra but i know they aren't 330bhp!

They are alot lighter than an Impreza, and will corner every bit as well, if not better. The communication an Integra gives the driver is in a different league to most cars, and will make an Impreza feel dull in comparison. In a straight line an Impreza would be quicker, but I thought this was for trackdays?

As said before, i'd try and test drive both.

First question should be what are you aiming to do on the track days?

Are you wanting to just have fun learning car control, power sliding etc?

Or just want to be faster than everything else?

You have to remember that on trackdays you are not supposed to be timing yourself so aiming to go on track to improve lap times or go for the ultimate laptime is not really the thing to do. (Sure you can learn racing lines etc. which will naturally improve lap times, but this can be done no matter what car you choose).

If it were me then a cheap RWD car is the machine to get. MX5's make good fun track cars. Fit an LSD and some cheap tyres and you can have plenty of fun.

MR2s also make good track cars. NA Supra, 200sx...etc etc. depending on budget.

Remember with cheapo longer lasting tyres, you don't need the huge power to have fun.

I do see a lot of people making the expensive mistake of going for fastest combination on everything. Sure they are the quickest car on the track (in some cases), but are they having fun or just attempting to show they have the biggest willy?

It must cost them a fortune to have the biggest willy on each track day ;)

If you're budget is 5K then you can modify a cheap RWD car into a nice handling track machine easily.

Then have money left over for consumables such as tyres, pads and discs etc.

Something like this would be a great track toy, far better than any car, this one is only £4995 :thumbs:

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1974/1974155-1.jpg

That would also require a trailer though, which is extra cost (and you'd want a half decent one = expensive) and you'd need a vehichle capable of towing it. Maybe even have to take a test to be legal.

Yes Wez, they would be great little machines for the track. But only problem with open wheel is that most track days do not allow them.

You have to go on official track test days which cost a lot more than an open public track day (usually).

But if thinking of honing in your skills and maybe taking up competition motorsport these are great to learn/practice on!

That would also require a trailer though, which is extra cost (and you'd want a half decent one = expensive) and you'd need a vehichle capable of towing it. Maybe even have to take a test to be legal.

That wouldn't require an expensive trailer, there are plenty of second hand ones available and a normal car could tow that, I imagine it would be lighter than a caravan :D

Celica gt4 st205 they can be had cheap

avoid them around 70-80k as they need fig 8's n lower arms then but if it's done then perfect

few basic mods will see 300bhp.

They weigh a lot so strip it & your on to a winner

amazing reliability so you can drive to track days n drive back

if you strip you could have spare wheels in the space.

I've owned a few & have to say amazing cars

The sole reason of getting this is to have fun, but at the same time I don't want have the slowest car there. Also must be road legal as my drive does not have the space for a trailer.

I want to keep running cost to a minimum. I'm well aware that this is an expensive hobby but evo's and Impreza's seem like they could be money pits, so I think I’ll stay away from them.

MR2 is not something I've considered.....NA or Turbo?

Heard good things about the MX5 and everyone sings their praises on pistonheads so another car to consider.