The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Company - Fitting trackers that can monitor driving habbits!!!!

optim8

telematic systems have been in use for absolutely ages. Any fleet manager worth their salt will have fitted them.

yea but with the army this has only just started to be used and its not making the job any better so you go away to try your best too stay alive and then you come back next thing you know big brother's ramed a tracker were the sun dont shine

yea but with the army this has only just started to be used and its not making the job any better so you go away to try your best too stay alive and then you come back next thing you know big brother's ramed a tracker were the sun dont shine

You and Jazz will get on well....

I got offered this sort of insurance when I bought my Evo in 2005 so it has been around for at least that amount of time.

They would supply and fit the tracker for a 1 off fee of £150 or something like that, and then I would be subject to massive discounts on my premium. I honestly did weigh it up as it was the difference between £1500 and £500 for the insurance. The system would monitor my speed at all time making sure I was within the limits. They didn't say anything about mileage restraints or anything like that, just that the car would be more likely to get recovered if stolen and the speed would be monitored. Something like a 3 strikes rule applied to the policy. 3 strikes over the limit and my insurance would be cancelled with no refund.

I just couldn't do it though.

... the speed would be monitored. Something like a 3 strikes rule applied to the policy. 3 strikes over the limit and my insurance would be cancelled with no refund.

I just couldn't do it though.

I'm not surprised. Most of us would break the posted limit by a couple of miles an hour three times just getting to a decent road! The insurance wouldn't last 24hrs - and I'm sure they would have been banking on that.

If everyone had them fitted tomorrow against their will there would be outrage. It would however highlight the fact that most speed limits are in fact outdated and too low. The fact that thousands get picked up by speed camera's in 50 mph restricted motorways and there are no accidents in said areas shows that the 50 mph speed limit isn't really required. The fact that absolutely everyone on the road drives faster than 30 in 30's show that limit is too low (doubt everyone does speed in 30's? try driving at 30 in a 30 and see how big a queue you get behind you, and in some cases how many times you get brashly overtaken!!). Speed limits themselves are completely inflexible and so will a system that enforces them in a totalitarian fashion. Its not really a big jump for a system like this to be wired up to the traction control to cut the power should a car be speeding either!! Here comes the future and that future is wrapped in bubblewrap!!