The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Company - Fitting trackers that can monitor driving habbits!!!!

optim8

A guy at work has just insured his car for his son to drive. Part of the agreement is that the company fit a tracker device that:

1) tracks the vehicle if it gets stolen

2) monitors that you keep within your mileage restriction, i.e 6k and

3) accesses your driving habbits so if you're a good driver, it'll help your premium next renewal.

Now this is the first I've heard of this sort of thing and I don't know if this is focused specifically at young drivers but if not what if all insurance companies adopted this approach:blink:

We all like to put our foot down on occasion to fully appreciate the road we're driving on, but if this sort of thing got rolled out to all insurance companies, it would certainly impact those with cars like ours!!

I agree with what you are saying, but the issue I'm worried about is because this technology is obviously getting cheaper and cheaper to manufacture, more and more insurance companies will look into them as it means not only can they find your car if you have it nicked but also if you smash it, they can choose not to pay up by instantly accessing the data taken from the car at the point of an acccident. Just see this could be a great way for insurance companies to save money on payouts so a no brainer for them!!!!!!

Well it's your mates choice, but personally i would tell them to swivel and go with the other 19999999 insurance companys who won't want a box fitted

They came and fitted it to his car today, it's hidden behind the dash. Yes it records speeds and distances, but also has the GPS so knows the location of the car at any point, so assume if your doing 40 in a 30 it knows about it!!!

So its finally happened then. Theres been talk of it for years though, as above go for another company.

Personally if it was my son Id like to have it there, see if he's chavving it up or not ;)

What can it record though, just speeds and distances?

Big brother!!!

This sort of thing could be considered a breach of your human rights being permanently monitored while using your car or where you park it!

Personally I think it should be able to record milage and then only GPS activated and logged when the car is reported stolen!

I would be going with a different company!

Have they confirmed they won't pass information onto the police?

One day I bet if all insurance companies fit these there will be no need for speed cameras because as soon as you go over the limit you'll get a fine and points.

I'd rather pay more and not be penalised in case I drove like a prat at some point.

What happens if he goes over the 6000 mile limit, does be have to pay more?

as most have said above... "does the vehicle have a tracker sir..." "no?" "ok well your premium has come in at £10,000 pounds..." :ok:

If youd had a tracker on the vehicle... it would be about £500. Give us a call when you've forked out extra cash, to our approved fitment centre... who also give us commission for us telling you to take your car there... :rolleyes:

:sos: Hello id like to make a claim... i lost control on the M25 in bad weather..

"Sorry sir... you were doing 72mph and the limit is 70, Im afraid your Claim is Void" :hi:

I agree, I bet you'll have your email with the fine attached before you reach the end of the road!!!!!!! That's a scarey thought.

Apparently the insurance company contact you when you near your mileage limit offering you a price to extend your restricted mileage. I agree I can see the benefits for young drivers and penalizing those with a death wish and I sure that's how they market the product, but I can see a point coming where they will double your premium if you choose not to have a tracker fitted.

Have they confirmed they won't pass information onto the police?

One day I bet if all insurance companies fit these there will be no need for speed cameras because as soon as you go over the limit you'll get a fine and points.

I'd rather pay more and not be penalised in case I drove like a prat at some point.

What happens if he goes over the 6000 mile limit, does be have to pay more?

Yeh, I reckon watch this space, in a few years time we'll be dragging this post back up with a 'and now they're all doing it....'

The guy at work had the tracker fitted completed free, 'all part of the service sir...'

as most have said above... "does the vehicle have a tracker sir..." "no?" "ok well your premium has come in at £10,000 pounds..." :ok:

If youd had a tracker on the vehicle... it would be about £500. Give us a call when you've forked out extra cash, to our approved fitment centre... who also give us commission for us telling you to take your car there... :rolleyes:

:sos: Hello id like to make a claim... i lost control on the M25 in bad weather..

"Sorry sir... you were doing 72mph and the limit is 70, Im afraid your Claim is Void" :hi:

Yeh, I reckon watch this space, in a few years time we'll be dragging this post back up with a 'and now they're all doing it....'

The guy at work had the tracker fitted completed free, 'all part of the service sir...'

If I had more time I'd drag up the posts from nearly 5 years ago when this first happened.

It was Aviva (Used to be Norwich Union) who developed this system and called the product 'Pay as you Drive'. The purpose was to target young drivers with it to be able to reduce premiums for them (by reducing risk) and hopefully hoover up the market of new/young drivers who were sensible enough to say that they could behave themselves and have the box in the car monitoring their driving habits to prove it.

Seriously guys - this really is yesterdays news!

If I had more time I'd drag up the posts from nearly 5 years ago when this first happened.

It was Aviva (Used to be Norwich Union) who developed this system and called the product 'Pay as you Drive'. The purpose was to target young drivers with it to be able to reduce premiums for them (by reducing risk) and hopefully hoover up the market of new/young drivers who were sensible enough to say that they could behave themselves and have the box in the car monitoring their driving habits to prove it.

Seriously guys - this really is yesterdays news!

Yep, old old stuff. Pay As You Spy Drive was sold as a benefit for those who did less miles and on less dangerous roads and "drove safely", the idea being that if you didn't drive as much, you didn't get charged, but going on a motorway in rush hour or driving at 3am would cost more per mile than tootling down a country road at 7pm. That's what it was marketed as, and idiots actually thought that being tracked everywhere you went was a good idea :blink:

What is interesting though, is that the data requirements for logging the speed and position of all the insured drivers was phenomenal. All of it had to be stored so that Aviva could justify its billing. The enterprise level data storage, resiliency, backup, and raw processing power needed very quickly overran the market win made by attracting gullible drivers. This was compounded by not actually attracting many drivers :cool:

Back when PAYD was first trumpeted internally in Aviva, I wrote to the head of the project asking interesting questions such as data protection and security, and what they would do with the data if indeed it did say they were doing 72mph in a 70 when they crashed. The response was weasely, along the lines of "Insurance companies are obliged to give all relevant information to the police when asked" so you know where that'll go.

Anyway, the irony is, because no bugger really took up the insurance and the high maintenance costs, the whole product got canned a couple of years back. By this time I had started my current job, one of the 24/7 ops looking after the server estate for Aviva. I was the one, har harrrrr, who got to remote onto the PAYD servers and TURN THE MOTHEREFFERS OFF FOR GOOD :D

Serendipity, baby :cool:

-Ian

Hey everybody on this subject the ARMY has been trialing this for sometime. Every car, van, mini bus has been fitted with gyro scope trakers that messure how many g's you pull into corners and also how fast at any given time. I have just been charged for going 92 mph down some country lanes and i tell you what you cant even wipe your nose while driving. If your doing the speed limit but turn a corner too sharp thats it. The traker works on a 3 light system like a traffic light, green amber red, green is to say its working. Amber flashing is a minor incident stop what your doing wrong. Steady amber means your pushing your luck. Flashing red means your about to comit to a major incident and steady red means your F***ED but yea i got draged into the office to day and told i got caught doing 92 mph, i nearly laughed when he said how in the hell did you manage that down that road but what they forget i have been driving these roads for nearly 4 years now and its getting to be a bit tedias so when your on your own and the road in front is clear i tend to put my foot down but what you lot say about the insurance company thing if it came into effect the law would have a field day because its done by satalight its accurate. I would seriously bin driving if that happened id be in front of the judge more time's than i have hot dinners lol