The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A day in the life of car transporting.....

Suprash

Joined :) Just out of interest... how long does it take to load/unload two cars?

Half hour for two cars mate ;) Its just a case of re-routing the winch cable from below to the top deck, once the car has been dragged up there, raise the ramp, secure it down, re-route the winch cable back down below and then haul the 2nd one on.

• 2 weeks later...

I can vouch for the boat trip being an epic that I'm sure Ash will never want to repeat again. For those that don't know the boat is a genuine camel trophy rib that is as rare as hens teeth. My bessie bought it to restore to go with his camel trophy landy. It was an epic that took poor Ash over 24 hours to complete in the end due to complications (one complication being the trailer had no jockey wheel and the release mechanism refused to operate for at least 30 minutes when it was delivered, this was just the nice part of the job!!) At gone 3 am he had to bin it and get some kip when everything had gone utterly wrong (the vendor of the boat didn't set off when he should have and then changed his mind about meeting further down country adding approximately 5 hours onto the round trip) VOSA decided to spot check him and selected him for a complete going over for over 3 hours.

I have to say that I was quite suprised at how chirpy Ash was at 10am when he pitched up with said boat and the bloody trailer wouldnt let his wagon go. This was after the only road that was comfortable to get up (its tight on access where my bessie lives) was closed. I doff my cap to Ash for a job extremely well done and actually think that if our story is anything to go by some decent narration of these events would be very interesting.

The pic in your second post with the rx7 on top and black supra underneath, does the supra have Audi R8 rims on? They look like the v8 ones to me! :)

Dunno mate, only picked it up and dropped it off, didnt really take a lot of notice of its rims ?

I can vouch for the boat trip being an epic that I'm sure Ash will never want to repeat again. For those that don't know the boat is a genuine camel trophy rib that is as rare as hens teeth. My bessie bought it to restore to go with his camel trophy landy. It was an epic that took poor Ash over 24 hours to complete in the end due to complications (one complication being the trailer had no jockey wheel and the release mechanism refused to operate for at least 30 minutes when it was delivered, this was just the nice part of the job!!) At gone 3 am he had to bin it and get some kip when everything had gone utterly wrong (the vendor of the boat didn't set off when he should have and then changed his mind about meeting further down country adding approximately 5 hours onto the round trip) VOSA decided to spot check him and selected him for a complete going over for over 3 hours.

I have to say that I was quite suprised at how chirpy Ash was at 10am when he pitched up with said boat and the bloody trailer wouldnt let his wagon go. This was after the only road that was comfortable to get up (its tight on access where my bessie lives) was closed. I doff my cap to Ash for a job extremely well done and actually think that if our story is anything to go by some decent narration of these events would be very interesting.

Ha, ah man, this job has still been by far the worse job ever, I really dont think anything else will ever come close :D I literally remember being sat at the first pickup destination and then finding out I had another 120'odd miles to go, which in truck travelling terms of 55mph, as you said added hours to an already very long drive, so long in fact i was driving for nearly 24hrs. I remember after picking the rib up and eventually travelling all the way back down south, passsing Birmingham was I was deciding whether to drive straight to Bournemouth to just get the job done or stopping off at Basingstoke for some rest, but after the hassle we still had at your end Im gald I didnt do it the night before because I dont think I would have had the patience like I did the following day :D

How is the rib anyway, I hope to god you have been doing stuff to her ?

So onto Jamies job, well, I can honestly say I have never seen Jamie like this before, I did have to have a little chuckle to myself whilst loading her on, with Jamie stood in the background saying "this worries me", "are you sure its gonna be ok?", "it only takes one of these welds to fail and kaboom", this went on lol :D

Even after I set off, down windy and twisty roads away from Reading, I looks in the mirror and see's Jamie folllowing behind, he's then straight on the phone (whilst I was driving may I add, tut tut Mr P lol, "she's bouncing around everywhere", lol, I've never seen such a big bloke reduced to a quivering wreck lol, we eventually finished with Jamie saying "make sure you text me when she's dropped off all safe and sound, I'll be panicking until then" lol......

But I totally understand where you're coming from, at first, raising a car up that high off the ground just seems to go against the grain straight off, cars should be on the ground :D But as the pictures prove I have lifted a car or two in my time and well, I get used to it. I have carried my car on top on numerous occassions before, so I know its ok and I wouldnt ever do anything to anyone car that I havent already done to my own.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1120.snc4/148199_10150350195580384_640625383_16197493_7337836_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1338.snc4/163010_10150350194235384_640625383_16197437_5541983_n.jpg

At the 2nd pickup for no.2....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1174.snc4/154606_10150350198300384_640625383_16197548_7537802_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs262.snc4/39426_10150350199095384_640625383_16197562_3385314_n.jpg

That Aristo makes even Jamies car look a bit small lol....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs771.snc4/67179_10150350199740384_640625383_16197577_2915620_n.jpg

Whilst on route with these 2 I got a call from the Mrs, seems she also needed recovering, so after being out on the road for 9 hours, I had to return home to collect this......

Car No.3 for the day :(

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs356.ash2/63597_10150338883995647_897390646_16458006_3942453_n.jpg

After always complaining about the lack of front end grip in her car, I think the Mrs was trying a mod of her own to create more down force for front end grip lol, she might be onto something ;)

After always complaining about the lack of front end grip in her car, I think the Mrs was trying a mod of her own to create more down force for front end grip lol, she might be onto something ;)

A truck on the front end may be good for pushing the front end down, but won't help the car go any faster ;)

I'll take the GS300/Aristo, please :-)

That'll be one of my Aristo's, it's my single turbo'd 6 speed Aristo :)

Its still at AFR as far as Im aware ;)

I have a FB group page, anyone thats on FB feel free to join, would be good for a few more newbies ;)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=281996580383&set=a.281985170383.318886.640625383#!/group.php?gid=197921291312

Don't give him ideas! It shouldn't be there much longer :D

Joined your page too :)

GS300?? How dare you lol

:thumbs:

That Aristo makes even Jamies car look a bit small lol....

I see you picked bup Steve's Aristo, off to AFR with it too? I'll have to see if I can source him a new window by the looks of it too..!

Thats a great truck dude but I'd be nervous as fu*k with a car on top and not one below, does she not feel top heavy???? Looks the nuts with 2 sups on though.

Its not too bad John, but Im constantly thinking of the physics, so I just take it slow, thats why even the shortest of distances take forever, in truck time, everything is 5 times slower. The truck on its own is 4ton, so even a car ontop isnt too bad, you do feel the weight shift more when cornering from left to right, but thats mainly the suspension on the bed just taking the weight. I always believe a car ontop should always be carried with the bed up, that way if anything happens to the 4 straps on each corner the car is facing forward to the bump stops. I see twin car transporters carrying a car on the top deck with it down, so the car is sat at a 45 degree angle pointing down. Strap failure there results in the car breaking free from the truck completely. When Im carrying just one car ontop I always lower the top ramp to near level, just enough so it'll still roll forward onto the bump stops, but this lower the center of gravity until I get the 2nd car on to really man up the weight. Plus if the straps did fail and the handbrake, and it does roll forward to the bump stumps, you can carry on, the only way that car will be lost is it for the car jumped up over the side guards which means the car needs to clear a good inch and half step, if that happens, then I suspect by that time you would going over some very rough ground/embankment/either which way, by that point, a car being strapped down will be in material of a severe accident.

I just keep it safe man, everyones pride of joy is mine too whilst Im handling them ;)

It just looks wrong a car up there, especially my car:D the frame work looks a bit bent and the frame is swaying left and right as i followed him up the road, i didnt like that.:blink:

Those rams are 2ton rams each lol, you forgot your only looking at the up and down part of the ramp, there is still the front hinge for that bed thats on some pretty meaty frame work. But its gonna flex a bit mate ;)

Remember I've lost a car due to a trailoring accident, and in a way, Im glad that happened, I learnt alot from that, especially about carrying weights and moving weights, and trust me, I wouldnt ever put someone else car into a situation I wasnt happy about. Me and my mates are alway double transporting, its so handy for the drift days, especially when people run out of talent and bin it, its got a good few home ;)

It just looks wrong a car up there, especially my car:D the frame work looks a bit bent and the frame is swaying left and right as i followed him up the road, i didnt like that.:blink:

The car looks fine in the air dude, anyways it kept us from haveing a poke about!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Dunno mate, only picked it up and dropped it off, didnt really take a lot of notice of its rims ?

Ha, ah man, this job has still been by far the worse job ever, I really dont think anything else will ever come close :D I literally remember being sat at the first pickup destination and then finding out I had another 120'odd miles to go, which in truck travelling terms of 55mph, as you said added hours to an already very long drive, so long in fact i was driving for nearly 24hrs. I remember after picking the rib up and eventually travelling all the way back down south, passsing Birmingham was I was deciding whether to drive straight to Bournemouth to just get the job done or stopping off at Basingstoke for some rest, but after the hassle we still had at your end Im gald I didnt do it the night before because I dont think I would have had the patience like I did the following day :D

How is the rib anyway, I hope to god you have been doing stuff to her ?

Ribs coming on amazing mate. He has completely re-tubed it, re-fabbed the console, and rebuilt the rest of it already. He's bought all the gear that was missing ie canoes etc for it as well. Now all he needs is an engine and he's up and running. Will sort out some photo's when its done.