The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Home help, would you buy a second hand boiler?

Swampy442

as above, maybe the only time you could consider is if the person selling are extending the system and need a larger kw boiler to support it. there is a pretty good chance its in good knick then,

Cheers for the replies :) Bailey thats what Ive found, 4 yrs old and serviced every year, changed as theyve got an extension.

So the answer is basically no then.

*Edit*And Devon to Lincoln is a loooong way to fit a boiler lol

IMHO 20 or so year old oil fired central heating boilers, whist allegedly not as efficient as new ones, were a HELL of a lot more durable and reliable than these modern, electronics rich things. Our bungalow is about 20 years old now, and it's still on its original boiler. I would need a damned good reason to change it, and a small fuel saving isn't one of them, and most definitely any "environment" issues won't sway me! To me if it's not the work of two stolid men to lift, it's a tinny bit of junk ;)

Mine is 17 odd years old now Chris and Ive had British Gas out 6 times a year to fix various leaks, and Im sat here with a hoodie on despite the heating being on full pelt. I need a full central heating overhaul

Sounds like your radiators aren't big enough? My old terrace house had radiators that couldn't overcome the heatloss from the windows and draughts under the doors etc.

My first quarterly gas bill was £220 and that was 12 years ago.

Have to say I agree Chris here. When I moved here 26 years ago I foolishly pulled out a huge solid fuel boiler and put in what at the time was modern tech Halstead fanned flue gas boiler and had 15 years of hassle from it. I then saw a second hand 10 + year old Ideal Mexico gas boiler advertised locally, floor standing, heavy as *.*CK cast iron and conventional flue, cost me £75 stuck it in and been working now fine for about 8 years. Nice and simple, no electronics, just a stat, solenoid works well. My son however bought a Potterton combi boiler and it lasted 4 years, broke down all the time, cost a packet and we had to replace it for our sanity's sake. Also Swampy it's not rocket science to do it yourself and then find yourself a local gas safe fitter to come and make the gas connection and get it certified, although seems to me a lot of them dont seem too clued up anyhow based on experiences we had with my Son's boiler install, but that's another story!

IMHO 20 or so year old oil fired central heating boilers, whist allegedly not as efficient as new ones, were a HELL of a lot more durable and reliable than these modern, electronics rich things. Our bungalow is about 20 years old now, and it's still on its original boiler. I would need a damned good reason to change it, and a small fuel saving isn't one of them, and most definitely any "environment" issues won't sway me! To me if it's not the work of two stolid men to lift, it's a tinny bit of junk ;)