The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater Matrix issues?

shaz2010

Hi all i changed my heater matrix the other day . i then went to bleed it to push the water and coolant round the matrix so i put the heaters on full and on hot, i also left the rad cap off and filled the expansion tank half way with coolant. the matrix when i renewed it had to water in it but the engine and rad still had the old water and coolant in. so i started the engine and ran for a bout half an hour! As the tep got hotter the fans ( heaters) stayed cold but air bubbles were coming out of the top of the radiator then i carryied on reving to 25000 revs on/off every 30 secs or so. air bubbles still coming to the top of the rad and still no heat from heaters this was 30 mins in :( nothing.

So i then though fill the matrix up its probs air locked bad in there,so took off the in pipe and put the hose in her and and pushed water about 2 liters to fill the matrix up. Then done the same process to get rid of air locks so the heaters can blow hot air! 15 mins later nothing again still cold arggggggghhhh....

I then looked under the heater box only to discover that the little adjuster under the passengers footwell wasnt moving when changing the temp on the dash from cold to hot, so i pulled it of and moved it myself , hurray warm air .... i must have done something to it or mised a plug out when doing the heater matrix change. so i can manually move using the metal rod to change it from hot air to cold air, but its only coming out warm....... this is where im now at but its friday and im fu+_ed off and cant go on so tomorrow morning ill start again... What do i have to do now

A,flush the system all again via take off the rad cap and open drain valve on bottom of rad and use hose to push all air locks out and then push 5 liters of coolant then put back the drain plug and then put rad cap back on ????

B,is there a bleed niple anywhere on the block or is the rad cap off thing the only way?

C, just leave it warm ';[-0 but dont want to its not good enuf

Edited by shaz2010 (see edit history)

Shaz, I've changed the title for you, as it's particularly frowned upon in Tech to write a thoroughly non-descriptive title. People find this infuriating and probably won't come to assist you.

If you would prefer an alternative to mine, by all means pm me :)

Lbm

Moderation team.

As long as everything is connected and working properly.

1/ fill rad and leave cap off

2/ run engine to normal operating temp

3/ set heater to max hot and have the fan on

4/ keep topping up the rad as the level drops

5/ raise the rpm to 2000 ish then let tick over, you should get airbubbles coming out the rad

6/ repeat no 5 untill no airbubbles come out the rad, this can take quite a while !

7/ check heater is blowing hot air and it should be v hot not luke warm, if not repeat no 5.

8/ top up rad and fill expansion tank to the max mark or approx halfway

I'd be inclined to fit a new thermostat as well before you do this just incase thats not opening properly and their not much money so worth doing !!

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Shaz, I've changed the title for you, as it's particularly frowned upon in Tech to write a thoroughly non-descriptive title. People find this infuriating and probably won't come to assist you.

If you would prefer an alternative to mine, by all means pm me :)

Lbm

Moderation team.

Much better when trying to search for answers to heatermatix problems too :)

LBM sorry mate it was late last night i posted and a bit drunk.

Dnk mate is there a pic anywhere of the hoses going into the heater matrix so i can confirm just incase i have them the wrong way. but i think there wright!

If not ill go though the process again .

This is on a uk spec, ignore the green and red arrows :)

If the hoses are right and everything else is okay then i'd bleed it again but just do it the way i explained, no need to take pipes of the matrix etc.

They can be hard to bleed air out the system and you'll find it'll go all of a sudden.

Doing it on an incline with the car facing uphill can help or some guys on here have attached a bottle to the rad filler to raise the head of the radiator. I managed to bleed mine in a level workshop with no bottles so just persevere :)

DSCF0545.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)