The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone removed the power steering

Wez

I am not sure, I know he has a custom steering column, although his build is quite far removed from a stock shell.

Yeah he'll have a lot less weight over the front axles, just thought it may be maybe worth asking if he is using the stock rack.

I'd imagine the lack of power steering would be a hinderence if driving hard for anymore than a few minutes at a time Wes.

I know its not a great comparison but it certainly proves detrimental to stage times in a rally car if the power steering goes and they'd be hauling alot less weight around.

That being said they usually use a quick rack set-up so maybe a different rack and pinion ratio would lessen the effort required but would probably leave the steering response slow

Don't do it Wes, even a stripped out racer will be far too heavy for none assisted steering. You would be better off seeing if you can engineer a faster rack onto the subframe, or miracle of miracles, see if anyone has found a higher geared rack bar and pinion that will go in the stock casing. I converted my RX-7 to none PAS steering,and that was heavy enough :) A MKIV is a none starter, you'll never get opposite lock on fast enough in a "crisis" ;)