The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Absoluetly destroyed!! upside down, A406, Redbridge Junction :(

adnanshah247

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey bud, im the fella that started the thread, im really happy to hear that your doing well and most of all you survived. wish you a speedy recovery.

after seeing those pics yep thats the car that was haunting me! you should be very carefull with your driving along with everyoe here, the weather is really unforgiving.

Homebase pipe insulation?

I hope not, that stuff is no way near dense enough to protect your head, if you have a cage and parts of your body are exposed to it then it should be wrapped in proper FIA approved padding.

Wes I was thinking it might be worth starting a thread about roll cages, warning members how dangerous they can potentially be and how they should be wrapped. It's not a subject I know much about.

Wes I was thinking it might be worth starting a thread about roll cages, warning members how dangerous they can potentially be and how they should be wrapped. It's not a subject I know much about.

I think the concensus is they prob do more harm than good Nic. Unless the car is barrel rolling at around 120 then a cage may well be handy, the supra roof seems massively strong as standard, my IS200 rolled over around 6 times and down a bank for over 40 meters with no cage and the doors all still opened etc, the roof was deformed but still not too bad, luckily I did not even have an ache or scratch which was lucky as I didnt have my belt on, I damaged myself more clambering up the bank thru the brambles !!!!!!!! I would not put a cage of any sort in a road supra.

I think cages are a good thing the supra roof ant as strong as you think this is squiffys car from a fue years ago he was so lucky to get out of this with only a black eye ! i think a half cage would be a good investment if only the insurance company's did not rape you for fitting safety devices!

I think cages are a good thing the supra roof ant as strong as you think this is squiffys car from a fue years ago he was so lucky to get out of this with only a black eye ! i think a half cage would be a good investment if only the insurance company's did not rape you for fitting safety devices!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/supramatt_photos/rolledsupra.jpg

That looks fine, about the same as the IS200 for defamation.

I think the concensus is they prob do more harm than good Nic. Unless the car is barrel rolling at around 120 then a cage may well be handy, the supra roof seems massively strong as standard, my IS200 rolled over around 6 times and down a bank for over 40 meters with no cage and the doors all still opened etc, the roof was deformed but still not too bad, luckily I did not even have an ache or scratch which was lucky as I didnt have my belt on, I damaged myself more clambering up the bank thru the brambles !!!!!!!! I would not put a cage of any sort in a road supra.

I was thinking of the guys who've already got cages fitted, posting some sort of warning to them to make sure the roll cages were padded. I wasn't advocating fitting a roll cage.

I think it's down to pure luck if you roll There have been Supras on here that have faired well there are others that I've seen where the roof has collapsed.

I rolled one of these beasts 4 times when I was 17 and me and a mate walked away with just a few bruises. The thing was a rust bucket (cost £50) but it just bounced off the corners and the roof stayed intact, we were very lucky.

Cage with padding, 5 point harness and seat.

1. Cage will give you a better level of protection from the car deforming it will also strengthen the car giving more rigidity. A rear cross member would also give a good anchorage point for the rear harness straps.

Welded or bolted cages need to be made from quality materials and fixed with quality bolts to secure anchor points or welding of a good standard.

2. Padding will protect you head or any other body parts that smash 'if' for some reason you hit your head on the cage! Any quality padding is better than none.

3. 5 point harness will keep you secure in the seat and within the area protected by the cage.

4. The seat will hold you in place. The seats need to be properly anchored with good quality bolts to the cross-member/frame.

Put all these together and you must be safer than a standard seat and seat belt.

Using FIA/SFI rated products will mean these have been tested and meet standards, anything that doesn’t carry these may look nice, be cheap and do something but who know what!

It all seem a lot of work and expense, but having these in my car defiantly gives me and my ‘co-pilot’ a sense of well being when out and about on the road.

The fact my seat runners are low means I sit lower in the car giving me more head room to the cage, if a little cumbersome to get in and out of and the harness being heavier than and standard seat belt the sense of safety makes me feel better.