The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost and turbo size

nigelboyne

How are things Nigel, was looking at this alot lately and was thinking the 35r might get boring very quickly. From what I understand talking to Colin in SSI, in comparison to BPU ,you will just gain marginally. But in saying that, I think the most important aspect is to have a generic setup so you can swap Turbos with minimal outlay. I am between the To4z and the 35r

Based on researh so far, for backup/support for parts and quality I would go with Paul's Kit (Whifbitz) and a Solaris S6GP unit RyanG supplies

Marty in SSI, installed a few of Pauls Kits now and is impressed with fitment/quality of components and support, the only other option I would even consider is the HKS kit but then future Support and supply of replacement parts will have a longer turnaround time. Who knows how long HKS will support the 2jz Kits

For me

I would leave the Engine as close to OEM spec, too many horror stories of build engines

Whifbitz Kit (Generic setup to allow Turbo upgrade with minimal outlay)

TO4Z or 35R Turbo

Solaris S6GP

Carbonetic Twin Clutch

Whifbitz Garett intercooler

Setrab Oil cooler 20/25 Row

OEM Bosch Fuel Pump

Fuel Rail??

Injectors?? Probably try stick to mainstream like Bosch

TRD Diff

Cams?? Titan, HKS or Whifbitz Billet

PHR Oil Pump or OEM ?? Would let Marty decide

Whifbitz Billet Pulleys

Intake Pletnum?? PHR new Pletnum seems to be getting good results but woul leave it up to Marty

I think the most important thing is the support: availabilty if you need to replace any parts; at least Paul is only over the pond so turnaround time should be minimal

So with lowering the boost maybe 1.5 or 1.6 and with whifbitz 264's will see me at my target around 600hp! Christ 1.8 and cams may take me past 650,lol! So really I shouldn't loose much top end power by moving to a 6765 journal, but would gain a huge amount of spool! It may come to a change once I've started the build! Does the 6765 come with a 4 bolt hotside or are they all v/band??!

So with lowering the boost maybe 1.5 or 1.6 and with whifbitz 264's will see me at my target around 600hp! Christ 1.8 and cams may take me past 650,lol! So really I shouldn't loose much top end power by moving to a 6765 journal, but would gain a huge amount of spool! It may come to a change once I've started the build! Does the 6765 come with a 4 bolt hotside or are they all v/band??!

I was on a stock engine back then on the red car, only lasted about 2000miles at that boost and it failed, started breathing really heavy.

How are things Nigel, was looking at this alot lately and was thinking the 35r might get boring very quickly. From what I understand talking to Colin in SSI, in comparison to BPU ,you will just gain marginally. But in saying that, I think the most important aspect is to have a generic setup so you can swap Turbos with minimal outlay. I am between the To4z and the 35r

Based on researh so far, for backup/support for parts and quality I would go with Paul's Kit (Whifbitz) and a Solaris S6GP unit RyanG supplies

Marty in SSI, installed a few of Pauls Kits now and is impressed with fitment/quality of components and support, the only other option I would even consider is the HKS kit but then future Support and supply of replacement parts will have a longer turnaround time. Who knows how long HKS will support the 2jz Kits

For me

I would leave the Engine as close to OEM spec, too many horror stories of build engines

Whifbitz Kit (Generic setup to allow Turbo upgrade with minimal outlay)

TO4Z or 35R Turbo

Solaris S6GP

Carbonetic Twin Clutch

Whifbitz Garett intercooler

Setrab Oil cooler 20/25 Row

OEM Bosch Fuel Pump

Fuel Rail??

Injectors?? Probably try stick to mainstream like Bosch

TRD Diff

Cams?? Titan, HKS or Whifbitz Billet

PHR Oil Pump or OEM ?? Would let Marty decide

Whifbitz Billet Pulleys

Intake Pletnum?? PHR new Pletnum seems to be getting good results but woul leave it up to Marty

I think the most important thing is the support: availabilty if you need to replace any parts; at least Paul is only over the pond so turnaround time should be minimal

are you going single soon mate have a look at the new billet gtx35r turbo, i would like to see this in action 550/600hp cant see ya getting bored with that kind of hp.with your set up you would just need drop in injectors,manifold down pipe and the turbo,remap

• 3 months later...
A 61mm turbo + cams and all other supporting mods should make around 550hp at 1.4bar

A 67mm turbo + cams and all other supporting mods should make around 600hp at 1.4bar

The smaller turbo will give you faster spooling, the larger turbo more top end power.

My supra makes 602hp at 1.16bar with 67mm turbo and im all stock engine. With JDM cams! :)

Edited by Tenttu (see edit history)

Can you post the dyno plot?

The dyno plot is in the garage but i will post it when i visit there next time.

It must be the cold dense air.... :) It'll be on stock injectors no doubt :)

It must be :p Still when we do the mapping there air temperature was something +25 degree celcius :) I got Sard drop-in 800cc injectors.