The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crankcase Breather Setups for 800hp +

mrgee2jz

Just run the two hoses straight into a catch can, but make SURE the catch can also has free ventilation to atmosphere to at least match the area of the openings of the two breather hoses. Here's my set up on my Skyline, -12 hoeses though. I am not into bling, or spending money needlessly, so it may not be to everyone's taste but works fine and cost nothing.

thats what my diesel was running like with a blown engine, it used to loose a few litres and id just poor it back in again at the end of the jorney ;) if i find some pics ill post them :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing that doesn't sit right with me about all this high crankcase depression malarky is that if it gave real world efficiency improvments the OEMS wouls be all over it like a cheap suit. Considering gubbins we throw at engines these days just to get a few extra hp without burning any more fuel, adding a vacuum pump has got to be one of the simplest mods you could wish for. Many downsized turbo engines actually have a vacuum pump of some sort these days already, anyway. I bet if it was worth the extra performance, but the parasitic loss of the pump was too great, a productionable version of the exhaust downpipe scavenge pump would have been commonplace by now.

The thing that doesn't sit right with me about all this high crankcase depression malarky is that if it gave real world efficiency improvments the OEMS wouls be all over it like a cheap suit. Considering gubbins we throw at engines these days just to get a few extra hp without burning any more fuel, adding a vacuum pump has got to be one of the simplest mods you could wish for. Many downsized turbo engines actually have a vacuum pump of some sort these days already, anyway. I bet if it was worth the extra performance, but the parasitic loss of the pump was too great, a productionable version of the exhaust downpipe scavenge pump would have been commonplace by now.

Maybe its got something to do with the decreasing the life of the engine, i read somewhere that if you have vacuum in the crankcase it also pulls oil from the bearings and the big ends start prematurely wearing...

I'm right behind you, I only went down the investigation route to prove it for myself,

Maybe its got something to do with the decreasing the life of the engine, i read somewhere that if you have vacuum in the crankcase it also pulls oil from the bearings and the big ends start prematurely wearing...

That could be engineered out, I'm sure. In fact if you are pumping from a vacuum back to a vacuum I'm not sure if the pump would have to work any harder at all. Have to think about that a bit...!

I'm right behind you, I only went down the investigation route to prove it for myself,

What system did you end up with?